Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just at the bar in the SeaTac Airport the other day listening to the barkeep raving about her career as a bartender.  Full benefits, vacation and sick days, pension (FFS!).

I literally worked my entire life from the ground up to earn what I have.  Which, in hindsight, makes me feel like a fool when I learn where my $$ goes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If I ran a business  in that city, I'd  be real quick about firing every employee didnt produce 16 dollars an hour.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fallout will be hilarious.
View Quote

Yes, there will be a veritable ARMY of ex -employees that are NOT WORTH Minimum wage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
GOD Sitting at a Bar with a buzz.

"Wait..wait..Watch THIS."
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Lmao.

In a few months we will have another example for how retarded minimum wages are.

Whenever some dumbass calls for minimum wage hike we can just bring up SeaTac, Washington.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I had to take four college courses, graduate with a Bachelor's degree and teach full time to be qualified to teach Driver's Education in Texas.  About 15 years ago, the State decided ''if you are a parent, then you can teach your own kid to drive...'

WTF?

How in the hell did knocking a girl up equate to the skills needed to teach a Driver's Education course of 40 hours classroom/lecture/rules and 30 hours in-car/behind-the-wheel?

So, yeah, I feel ya here.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Twenty years on the job, countless Certifications, endless classes and training, hundreds of hours of hazmat, terrorism response, aircraft response, Emergency Medical, constant PT to maintain the necessary fitness level, Hours crawling around in 500 degree burn buildings in zero vis to keep my skills up,

and I'm worth $5 bucks an hour more than the pimply faced highschool kid down the street down the street making my egg McMuffin?

Nothing against him, but damn......

I had to take four college courses, graduate with a Bachelor's degree and teach full time to be qualified to teach Driver's Education in Texas.  About 15 years ago, the State decided ''if you are a parent, then you can teach your own kid to drive...'

WTF?

How in the hell did knocking a girl up equate to the skills needed to teach a Driver's Education course of 40 hours classroom/lecture/rules and 30 hours in-car/behind-the-wheel?

TRG

Drivers ed is a huge waste. Parents should be doing it anyway. I never took it. Didn't need to. I drive fine. I fly jets too. Yup, initially my dad taught me that too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The guys who have worked there 20 years and are making $15.25 currently are getting fucked the hardest. Now they make minimum wage
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just one more case of the people running the government having no clue how economics works.
View Quote

I don't understand why they get to be in charge of things for which they have not a fucking clue about.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The guys who have worked there 20 years and are making $15.25 currently are getting fucked the hardest. Now they make minimum wage
View Quote

Their wages will eventually work their way proportionally back to what they were. It just sucks that they'll have a prolapsed asshole from getting financially fucked until then.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unemployment is going to skyrocket there very soon.
View Quote

As it should. Fuck that shit.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just one more case of the people running the government having no clue how economics works.
View Quote

Well said!...........

Couldn't have put it any better!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The thing is that most of the workers don't live in Seatac.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing is that most of the workers don't live in Seatac.

Yeah, but now that they're rich, they can afford to live there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#13]
i predict one out of five minimum wage employees get fired and a ten to fifteen percent increase in pricing teamed with terrible service everyehre within the first six months.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Incorrect.

From the article:

Opponents of the $15 minimum wage did score a legal victory late last week when a King County, Wash., judge ruled that it does not apply to any of the workers at the SeaTac airport. Superior Court Judge Andrea Darvas ruled only the Port of Seattle can set wage and other work rules at the airport. That eliminates 4,700 workers from the successful ballot initiative.

Otherwise this would be very bad news... Now it will be a hilarious failure and a shining example of what not to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the airport.

The only thing that's going to skyrocket is prices for everything associated with flying into and out of SEA.

Incorrect.

From the article:

Opponents of the $15 minimum wage did score a legal victory late last week when a King County, Wash., judge ruled that it does not apply to any of the workers at the SeaTac airport. Superior Court Judge Andrea Darvas ruled only the Port of Seattle can set wage and other work rules at the airport. That eliminates 4,700 workers from the successful ballot initiative.

Otherwise this would be very bad news... Now it will be a hilarious failure and a shining example of what not to do.

That makes the whole thing political theater.

SeaTac less SEA is almost nonexistent.  The number of minimum wage jobs in the area is probably less than 10.

The 4700 airport workers that are exempted?  2/3 of them already make over $15/hour anyways.

What a joke.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck it

If 15 an hour is soooooo good.   Raise it to 25 an hour

Where is my popcorn?

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#16]
when i was a kid,, pulling tits and slinging shit for $5/hr and i thought i was rich as fuck...  

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
when i was a kid,, pulling tits and slinging shit for $5/hr and i thought i was rich as fuck...  

View Quote

Not sure if pimp and drug dealer or dairyman...

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And much like the frozen yogurt places, it is only going to need one or two people to fill the machines. The zero-skills workers are eliminating their own jobs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And much like the frozen yogurt places, it is only going to need one or two people to fill the machines. The zero-skills workers are eliminating their own jobs.

Like the self check-out registers at grocery stores or big box stores like Lowes or Home Depot. I absolutely love those things, not because it eliminated the business need to pay some grossly overpaid unionized check out clerk with absolutely zero valuable skills to check out my purchases, but because I can do it myself a whole lot faster than they can.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I sure hope so, because we'll need some entertainment to offset all the clueless old lefty fuckers whining about everything going all to hell as a result of this.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Twenty years on the job, countless Certifications, endless classes and training, hundreds of hours of hazmat, terrorism response, aircraft response, Emergency Medical, constant PT to maintain the necessary fitness level, Hours crawling around in 500 degree burn buildings in zero vis to keep my skills up,

and I'm worth $5 bucks an hour more than the pimply faced highschool kid down the street down the street making my egg McMuffin?

View Quote

Don't worry.  It's not gonna hurt you anywhere near as much as it's gonna hurt him when they realize what kind of human resources they can get for that money.  It's gonna be tough to get an entry level job when they're banned from competing on price. and there will be more than a few that will happily shed the responsibility and flip burgers for the same cash they made before.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
The fallout will be more people on .gov assistance, exactly as is designed.  More dem voters.  Exactly as designed.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're not doing it for the money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#24]
1600 employees is an understatement.  It doesn't include all of the other people that will need a raise at higher level positions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]

"Everybody who works here has responsibilities. Kids, and everything," says Ronnie Castillo, a ramp worker for Delta General Services who's got two 16-year-old twins, a 13 year old and a 6-year-old son, with another baby on the way. "That's why people almost live in the airport, don't sleep…"

If the recent ruling stands, this guy may have to stop at five kids.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
would be great to just see restaurants etc move out of the city
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#27]
So a 60% increase in the minimum wage all in one shot? No phasing it in over 3-4 years just bam eat it business owners.
Gov't needs to put down like a dog
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
So the secret strategy in this diabolical plan was that they were going to soak all the people passing through the airport? And that's why it was ok, since everyone else in SeaTac has a car and can drive three blocks out of their jurisdiction?  

Sounds so Chicago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
The funny thing is Sea-Tac has no real businesses other than parking lots and hotels. There's the airport and well, there's hotels and parking lots. This should be fun to watch.        

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Drivers ed is a huge waste. Parents should be doing it anyway. I never took it. Didn't need to. I drive fine. I fly jets too. Yup, initially my dad taught me that too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

TRG

I think he was being funny. My dad "taught" me to drive when I was 8. This device turns the wheel, this one makes it move, this one makes it stop. Don't hit anything. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rost.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They will cut staffing by 60% and break even on the money. Highly motivated and hard-working people will benefit; the marginal will become and remain unemployed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While many workers look forward to the higher pay, employers are looking for ways to absorb the big increase in labor costs. Some plan on eliminating jobs.

"We're going to be looking at making some serious cuts," said Cedarbrook Lodge General Manager Scott Ostrander. "We're going to be looking at reducing employee hours, reducing benefits and eliminating some positions."

They will cut staffing by 60% and break even on the money. Highly motivated and hard-working people will benefit; the marginal will become and remain unemployed.

this..capitalism will continue despite communist efforts
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Should have made it $20 an hour, you know, cause they deserve it and stuff. Plus the government is here to spread the wealth.  

Yall need to get on board with the program.

Hope and change and all that.
View Quote

BEST avatar ever!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So the secret strategy in this diabolical plan was that they were going to soak all the people passing through the airport?
View Quote

It's a classic union strategy: find some company with high fixed cost investments that are hard to relocate and shake them down. The hotels in SeaTac are hard to move over the course of a few years, so the owners are hard pressed.

Over a longer time horizon, well:

"Boeing Co will not build the wing for its new 777X jetliner in Washington state if members of its largest union reject its latest contract offer in a Friday vote, company executives told Seattle-area elected officials on Monday."

South Carolina factory, bitches.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Washington is cray-cray on minimum wage and always has been. It is like everyone in Seattle works minimum wage or works for some big multinational.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if offering a salaried position would somehow be a fix to this, it seems on the surface it is a "per hour" bill so a salary position wouldn't be affected?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, Plenty against him, and anybody else who thinks that they should be earning that much for something that requires no skill.

Minimum wage whiners are very irksome.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wonder if offering a salaried position would somehow be a fix to this, it seems on the surface it is a "per hour" bill so a salary position wouldn't be affected?
View Quote

French Fry production consultant?  Take out broker?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No one is offering a salaried position to someone they can't trust to show up every day, on time, and stay until the end of shift.

There are also fairly rigorous standards to define what can be exempt (salary) vs non-exempt (hourly) employees.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I know it's not realistic and self-punishing, but it would be so awesome in my fantasy world if the businesses impacted by this turned their businesses into blighted properties, cash into gold shops or used furniture stores.

More seriously, I did not realize that municipalities had the power to regulate minimum wage.  I've always assumed that was only within the purview of the state or federal gov't.

In any case, I predict a fast food commodity-retail/service desert in Seatac.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Now it'll cost more to rent a room in SeaTac, and fewer rooms will be rented, and fewer tourists will stay in SeaTac, and spend money in SeaTac, and businesses won't be as profitable, and some business will let go of some employees, and the cost of this item will go up, and that item will go up, and fewer people will buy this and that from the other businesses, and those business will let people go, and on and on and on until maybe, someday, some soft headed liberal fuck will realize that the big rich business corporation doesn't have endless supply of cash laying around and that they actually need to remain competitively profitable in order keep them employed.

Aw, who the fuck am I kidding?  They'll never get it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I can't believe that shit was on the ballot and people voted for it. You get what you vote for I guess O.o. if it weren't right next to the airport I'd expect the entire town to disappear overnight... but just like the restaurants in the airport charging $12 for a goddamn beer they have people by the balls.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
This will be great to watch this trainwreck.  I'm just glad it isn't national...
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Il laugh if all these places 1099 everyone and pay flat rates for production.  8 cents per burger fliped.  three dollars per hotel room cleaned.  

Im kinda surprised more jobs dont work on production based pay anyways.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Il laugh if all these places 1099 everyone and pay flat rates for production.  8 cents per burger fliped.  three dollars per hotel room cleaned.  

View Quote

There's no way you could treat a burger flipper as independent contractor except for a food truck guy, maybe.  Hotel employee? Maybe you could fire all of the cleaning staff, and hire a maid service.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
There's no way you could treat a burger flipper as independent contractor except for a food truck guy, maybe.  Hotel employee? Maybe you could fire all of the cleaning staff, and hire a maid service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

maybe not but you sure as hell could pay them based on production even without 1099 contract scenario.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
maybe not but you sure as hell could pay them based on production even without 1099 contract scenario.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, as long as that production based pay met the hourly minimum wage requirements.  

(BTW, I'm not arguing in favor of ridiculous minimum wage rates, or even minimum wage itself.  I'm just talking about what would get you in a sling over it when the DOL gooberment thugs whip out the FLSA, or whatever the local equivalent is.)
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Well.....I THOUGHT Washington would be a nice place to move out to and live.

I thought wrong. The liberal leeches are already entrenched.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top