Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/12/2002 10:52:35 AM EST
Can someone elaborate on this. I am steadily working up the desire to obtain an FFL but I do not have a "place of business" per se.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:57:10 AM EST
If I recall correctly, Atf requires that FFL's comply with local zoning requirments, such as a store front or some kind of place to conduct business. Obviously they do not want in home sales, as typical residential is not zoned for business or light industrial.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:05:36 AM EST
I can understand your point but I would not be looking to conduct a retail business out of my home. I am more interested in being able to facilitate transfers for myself and others without ramming some ridiculous $60 fee up there arses. If I ever reached a point where I could actually open my own shop, I would lease appropriate space. (yeah, keep dreaming I guess) Oh well, I guess we are all at the mercy of the "professionals."[:(]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:43:31 PM EST
What you want to do is exactly what ATF doesn't want you to do. However, as long as you have a premises from which it is legal to conduct a firearms business, you can get a license to do so. You must engage in business as a dealer, but that doesn't require that you have a huge stock and run commercials for "Crazy FMJunkie's Gun Emporium" - just that you conduct your affairs in the manner of a business, have all appropriate licenses and permits, collect sales tax, and conduct business for more than just yourself. If you live in a city, or anywhere with zoning codes, it's difficult, but not impossible, to run an FFL business from your home. If you live out in the sticks, or in unzoned or unincorporated areas, then it's no trick at all to get an FFL out of your residence. For what it's worth, I have a manufacturer FFL (Type 07) out of my house here in the city. I was required to get a home occupation permit from the city specifically listing firearms manufacturing and sales, in order to get my FFL out of my residence. Once I accomplished that, however, there were no difficulties in getting the federal license, and my state/county and city sales tax licenses. It might be worth at least checking into your local laws and zoning requirements before giving up on the idea.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:17:03 PM EST
What about renting a very small office in a commercial or retail zoned area? Not a "store front" but arguably a business premise. I figure a small, one room office big enough for a desk, file cabinet and gun safe would be pretty cheap. Anyone with more knowledge on this have any idea what this would lease out at?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:09:30 PM EST
The fine city of Royal Oak, MI. where I live passed laws requiring a storefront location in a comerical zoned area, an alarms system to the police station with viedo survalence cameras two required, a two hour burn rated safe for firearms and another one for reloading powders kept fifty feet apart.After the post office shooting here even the postmaster told the mailmen with FFL they could either be a mailman or a gun dealer, their choice. the three mailmen I knew with FFL's are no longer FFL holders. There making it real easy for us aren't they.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:45:52 PM EST
FMJunkie, I know of one guy who rented the back room of another guy's store to use as a "Storefront." From what I can tell, he only does transfers, etc...and he uses the back door. So, I guess the customers of the store don't have to see armed men going in and out. You could try rezoning. I don't know how NJ looks at FFLs, but if their opinion of Firearms is any example. You can basically forget getting rezoned. You might try getting a small room in a store, plant, etc...just as long as it is zoned right. You don't really need anything too big. a Booth would probably work just fine as long as it is zoned. See what your local mall thinks about leasing you one of those booths in the mall. YOu know the kind where the guy makes personalized lisence plates.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:39:39 AM EST
"Crazy FMJunkie's Gun Emporium.
View Quote
Now you have your gun shop name!!
Top Top