Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2008 1:06:57 PM EDT
Well im getting ready to start my online business. (custom subwoofer enclosure designs and builds)

and im trying to learn how to do a business plan, but everywhere you go its pay for info, pay to see samples.

its outrageous!!

i will be using excel to balance my profits vs expenses

but i feel a business plan would be a good thing to get just so i can keep track of my overall goal.

one thing i am proud of is not using any capital to get start im able to do it all out of pocket
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
just google how to do a business plan, you should be able to find something for free.

I dont have my text books near me or else I'd give ya some info from them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Get accounting software. Excel is workable, but good accounting software will make your life much easier come tax time.

It would be a good idea to get your ideas on paper, but unless your a soliciting investors, you don't need a business plan per se.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
looks for examples from SBa and some of your competition.... maybe in another state.

a $10 -$15 book might be a decent investment.

most have to be able to be boiled down to 1 page and no more then a 5 minute read.

I have the one at the top- from mancuso...

www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=how+to+prepare+and+present+a+business+plan&x=0&y=0
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
looks for examples from SBa and some of your competition.... maybe in another state.

a $10 -$15 book might be a decent investment.

most have to be able to be boiled down to 1 page and no more then a 5 minute read.

my business consist of this.

they email and send payment

i build the box and ship

thats it
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
The purpose of a business plan has noting to do with keep track of your goal.  Go buy a book and READ about setting up a business, understanding your market, developing a competitive assessment, understanding your barriers to entry, advertising and the many, many other facets of a business plan that have nothing to do with an Excel spreadsheet.

Business that fail rarely due to a poor spreadsheet.  They often fail due to a poor, incomplete or innacurate business plan.

Step one for you is to start by understanding what a business plan is.

If you try to cheap your way past it the outcome will reflect that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
ya might wanna flesh that out a little bit.

write it with  the perspective of the LENDER in mind.

If you had $100,000 to loan, and some random guy comes to you and wants to borrow it for his business- what would you want to know from him.

target customers

production #'s

margins

like that.

didya get your domain????
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ya might wanna flesh that out a little bit.

write it with  the perspective of the LENDER in mind.

If you had $100,000 to loan, and some random guy comes to you and wants to borrow it for his business- what would you want to know from him.

target customers

production #'s

margins

like that.

didya get your domain????

YEP
i know own TightBoxs.com
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Learn about red dollars (debits) and black dollars (credits).

Learn the difference between revenue and profit.

Become familiar with overhead, and how to minimize it, related to your business.

Become familiar with the tax code, as it relates to your business, as tax implications can be red and black, depending.

Make sure your business plan addresses each of these.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

i will be using excel to balance my profits vs expenses

That has nothing to do with a business plan, but FWIW, use QuickBooks. Later on you'll be glad you did.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top