Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 3:47:35 AM EDT
THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE
Business owner told to dump U.S. flags
Stars and stripes in windows of shop violate city ordinance
Posted: September 9, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A Florida business owner has been cited by the city of Orlando for displaying several U.S. flags in the windows of her office building – and a religious-freedom law group has gone to bat for her.
According to a statement from Liberty Counsel, Nancy Maddox, the owner of Peacock Home Collection, has been targeted by Orlando's Code Enforcement Bureau because of the small flags hanging on the outside of 15 windows at her home furnishings company. The flags measure no larger than 34 ½ inches by 23 inches.

The daughter of a U.S. veteran who served in three wars, Maddox says she wanted to display the flags as a way to honor American military personnel. She says the flags are temporarily displayed on specific days, such as Independence Day, Memorial Day and September 11.

Liberty Counsel says the city has ordered the flag's immediate removal. A violation hearing is scheduled for Sept. 14.

The legal organization has contacted the city citing alleged procedural defects in the citation and warning that the sign ordinance used against Maddox is unconstitutional.

"I am astounded that the city of Orlando would reprimand anyone for displaying the American flag. We should encourage patriotism, not punish it," stated Mathew D. Staver, president and general counsel of Liberty Counsel.

Staver says if the city does not back down, Liberty Counsel will file a federal lawsuit on constitutional grounds.

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46233
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They likely consider them under the sign ordinance and the same as those gaudy streamer flags that car lots use. Easiest way to shut them up. String them inside the windows. The ordinance people can't do anything about what is showing thru your windows..just whats on the outside of the building.  Been thru this before with these kind of idiots trying to keep a town unpolluted.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
welcome to America, this is America, right?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
welcome to America, this is America, right?

Oh its America, but not the one our fore fathers had invisioned.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:39:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Put a price tag on them that says "priceless" and tell them they are on display for sell.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Typical smalltown political horseshit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Typical smalltown political horseshit.

orlando isnt exactly a "'small" town..

o-town is a mess, plian and simple, the cops have bad attitudes, they have city polictical issues all thetime and they always have some wrong withone of the areas sherrifs  or force. it doesnt suprise me that they are doing this.... but then again,,  70% of orlando flies   puetro rican flags anyway
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
If there is federal litigation she [MS Mattox] should display the american flags everyday and if she has store marquee it should read''PATROTISM ON TRIAL/ SEE MANAGER FOR DETAILS''.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF is going on in Florida?

They can fly gay pride flags in St. Augustine, but can't fly American flags in Orlando.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=388823

Swear to God my spellcheck in inop.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#13]
This slow but steady ride down the is starting to really bug me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]
This nation can no longer be fixed via the political process. Waaaay to late for that.

They won't stop, ever, until we kick their ass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not surprised at all.  Orlando votes democrate.   Has "gay days" celebrations and generally appeals the left causes.    HOWEVER, the city also has many fine folks and sometimes the right does win a battle and election or two.    
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#16]
The article doesn't say what code they are accused of violating.  I suspect it's a law that says that no more than a certain percentage of business windows can be covered or something along those lines.  The Code Enforcement Bureau probably doesn't care what's being displayed, just that it's violating the ordinance.  But the group reporting this wants to spin it as Orlando being anti-American because there is no exception for American flags in the ordinance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
has been targeted by Orlando's Code Enforcement Bureau

Orlando is run by Democrap Libtards. The OCEB is just code for "taxpayer funded agenda pusher".
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The article doesn't say what code they are accused of violating.  I suspect it's a law that says that no more than a certain percentage of business windows can be covered or something along those lines.  The Code Enforcement Bureau probably doesn't care what's being displayed, just that it's violating the ordinance.  But the group reporting this wants to spin it as Orlando being anti-American because there is no exception for American flags in the ordinance.

Sounds likely... unfortunately...

And don't try blaming this on the GAYS!

I say ki... err...ban... yeah, BAN the bureaucrats!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top