Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 10:15:41 AM EDT
About two weeks ago the mother of a friend contacted my gf about her "business" she was starting and wanted to know if my gf was interested or would hear her spiel about the business (financial sales - you guessed it, primerica bullshit). Well,  at the time my gf tried to drag me into this and I made it clear at that point that I had no interest in it at all, nor did I care to waste my time listening to someone try and pitch the "you could make thousands a month" bullshit. At the time I thought I had made it clear that I didn't want to be involved. Despite that, she went and listened to some guy speak about it - fine I respect that, it's her choice.

Skip to this past Saturday. We had a baby shower to go to (fucking co-ed) where this mother was present. She knew that I had no interest yet pushed the issue to my GF as if I was some sort of asshole for not listening. Again, she tried to push me to into listening to her spiel but I had yet again, no interest in it. It was left at her stating that she would get a hold of me to talk.

Fast forward to today. I get a call from the mother's "boss" and he states that he hears I'm difficult to get to talk to and that he would like to meet over coffee to discuss what his company has to offer, and that they are looking for people like me. Again I reiterated that I have no interest in financial sales or primerica, and that it was not a good time as I was at work and didn't care to discuss. He seemed to understand where I was coming from, but asked again if we could just briefly discuss over coffee. At this point, I told him fine in the sake of shutting everyone up and that I would give him 10 minutes of my time and he could buy me a cup of coffee on saturday afternoon. I also told him no guarantees on anything but I will listen to what he has to offer (even though I know what they do, and that they try to get you to provide friends and family numbers).

Right after that, I lit into the gf again about this nonsense and I told her I don't appreciate that she gave out my number to these people, and I don't appreciate her mixing family with business which is what these people do.

Seriously, do people just narc out friends and family members these days for money or the hope that they can get rich quick? I was raised to believe that you NEVER mix family and business, and you never hand out phone numbers to salespeople. This shit just isn't ethical to me either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
About two weeks ago the mother of a friend contacted my gf about her "business" she was starting and wanted to know if my gf was interested or would hear her spiel about the business (financial sales - you guessed it, primerica bullshit). Well,  at the time my gf tried to drag me into this and I made it clear at that point that I had no interest in it at all, nor did I care to waste my time listening to someone try and pitch the "you could make thousands a month" bullshit. At the time I thought I had made it clear that I didn't want to be involved. Despite that, she went and listened to some guy speak about it - fine I respect that, it's her choice.

Skip to this past Saturday. We had a baby shower to go to (fucking co-ed) where this mother was present. She knew that I had no interest yet pushed the issue to my GF as if I was some sort of asshole for not listening. Again, she tried to push me to into listening to her spiel but I had yet again, no interest in it. It was left at her stating that she would get a hold of me to talk.

Fast forward to today. I get a call from the mother's "boss" and he states that he hears I'm difficult to get to talk to and that he would like to meet over coffee to discuss what his company has to offer, and that they are looking for people like me. Again I reiterated that I have no interest in financial sales or primerica, and that it was not a good time as I was at work and didn't care to discuss. He seemed to understand where I was coming from, but asked again if we could just briefly discuss over coffee. At this point, I told him fine in the sake of shutting everyone up and that I would give him 10 minutes of my time and he could buy me a cup of coffee on saturday afternoon. I also told him no guarantees on anything but I will listen to what he has to offer (even though I know what they do, and that they try to get you to provide friends and family numbers).

Right after that, I lit into the gf again about this nonsense and I told her I don't appreciate that she gave out my number to these people, and I don't appreciate her mixing family with business which is what these people do.

Seriously, do people just narc out friends and family members these days for money or the hope that they can get rich quick? I was raised to believe that you NEVER mix family and business, and you never hand out phone numbers to salespeople. This shit just isn't ethical to me either.

WAT?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Hang up.

Walk away.

Block inbound call numbers.

Mark emails as 'spam'.

Cease all contact with anyone associated with that sort of idiocy.

And why in tarnation did you go to a "coed baby shower" you had no interest in attending, in the first place?

Tell the gf to never give your number out to anyone under any circumstances, and that it was a serious violation of your privacy and wellbeing that she did so in the first place.

Or just go ahead and Eject, and save yourself some time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#3]
These primerica fucks keep calling me in regard to my monster resume... WTF over.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm as careful with family/friend's personal information as I am with mine.  If somebody wants to talk to them I'll take their contact info and pass it along to the family/friends, that's it.  Nobody likes being cold called by random salesguys, ex-girlfriends, asshole classmates from high school, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#6]
My usual way is 2 firm "No thanks"

The 3rd reply is GTFO I've already said no. Also don't socialize with sheeple like that. And above all, never, I mean never, be a dude at a wedding shower. DAMN!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]
you  have mis used the word "Business" in this case.
What you are referring to here is  a SCAM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Years ago a fairly good friend tried this.  Strange phone call out of the blue trying to get me on board with something.  Never did anything like that again, it was just weird.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Monavie salesmen?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't believe after all this that you've given this guy 30min......No means No not maybe or a passive Yes...when you talk to this person on Sat. let em know what NO means....and tell em not to call you again
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#11]
my sister got sold into multi level marketing from her mother in law.. She tried to recruit me.. FUCK THAT NOISE.... I told her strait out i was not comfortable pimping out my freinds and family and dont bring it up to me again... i wont mention their name as they are as bad as starting a flame war with 4Chan....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#12]

LOL.

This is kinda like how my co-workers at Ameriprise sold financial products HARD to family.  Poaching family usually meant financial success for them.

Given that both sides of my family were involved in institutional finance in some way, shape, or form, and had all warned me about retail finance... i had to cold call like a Boiler Room mother fucker,

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to call the dude back and tell him you changed your mind and are not meeting him because you are not interested and not to call you back.
Then you need to sit down with your girlfriend and have a come to Jesus meeting about things such as her giving people you don't really know your cell number. I had this problem with my parents ONCE after I graduated from high school because some weird dude that I knew called the house asking for me and Mom cheerfully gave out my phone number. I told them nicely that if someone calls for me take a message and I would get back to them if I wanted to talk to them. Never had another problem.
I would also call her judgment into question if she is convinced that multi-level marketing bs is legit. I would be rather upset if my fiance called me up to tell me about that kind of crap.
If she is unwilling to be reasonable about either thing I would consider that a warning to end the relationship as people who buy into that kind of thing tend to be bad with money and rather gullible as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a distant cousin of some sort in the Mid West branch of the family who sells Monavie.  His sales pitch was the first any of us on the East Coast had heard from him in 5 years––at least these pyramid schemes promote family communication.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Wife knows that the only person who gives out my number, is ME.  Years ago I lost a really good friend over this same issue.  He and his wife were just getting into AmWay.  Tried twice to get me into that crap.  They both got really mad when I told them I was not interested.  End of of longtime friendship because of it.  Some people just can't seem to accept no for an answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top