Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 1:11:33 PM EDT
Yeah I've wondered why my Bushnell laser bore sighter never got my rifles even CLOSE to being on target... and I chucked it up in a drill press turned to the side today... and at about 20 feet it makes a 4 inch circle... so of course at 50 yards it's WAY OFF regardless of the direction its in...

and this is not user error... beleive me... I do machining at work and am very knowledgable of finding zero's and especially rounded items (I machine Shafts for Seals on a lathe).

I don't expect this thing to get me on bullseye... but I do expect it to get me closer then several feet at 50 yards...

I was gonna send them a respectful E-mail... but the fact I am goign to have to use my lunch break at work tommorow to call them... I'm gonna be pissed... and if they don't offer to replace it... it will be the last bushnell item I will buy (not that I've bought many)...

I will keep you guys informed...

Rant over...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
water is wet
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always been tempted to get one. I always see them in the sporting goods departments in some stores and I have to remind myself that I have always heard bad things about them.

Here is another example. Hope you get it resovled.

BTW, Do any of the brands work?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there any other laser boresighting systems that are affordable and actually work?  I need one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Good old-fashoined boresighting FTW!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the cheap walmart one.  Looks exactly the same as the Bushnell.

They are ALUMINUM.  And a very soft aluminum at that.

Before I use mine, I chuck it in a drill and spin it slowly while the drill sets stationary on the table.  they can be adjusted by hand just by bending it the direction it needs to go.  They can also be knocked out of wack by a little bump.  Just straighten it and you will be fine.

Check it before you use it each time and adjust as necessary.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, bore sighting is simple and usually puts you within several inches.  And yes, I do realize that it doesn't work for all rifles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
In for the "After the Call" Report.
Give em hell, I just wonder how many Yawed Bore Sighters they let out of the factory?
I use the old method of looking down the bore and have always been pretty close, on the guns that can't be looked through I just shoot at a close distance first
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
So you being the super duper machinist I'm sure gave it some support so it wouldn't "whip" when spinning? Dial the shank in to see how far your drill chuck is running out?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that the $30 one?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
i've had no problems with mine. I use it to center/ time front site post and they are pretty close
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So you being the super duper machinist I'm sure gave it some support so it wouldn't "whip" when spinning? Dial the shank in to see how far your drill chuck is running out?

Well at least he didn't do like this Super Duper Machinist

Super Duper Machinist  Scroll down to 7th Post
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Good old-fashoined boresighting FTW!

This, I have never failed to hit paper and never spent a cent on any sighter.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I machine Shafts in very expensive pumps... the tolerances are finer then .001

I've checked the bore sighter by hand... and by two different drills...

I even viced a rifle.... Sighted the rifle with it.... rotated the bore sighter a few degrees at a time and traced the circle by hand, dot by dot... then tried to average the rifle in the center...

So before you make some smart ass comments... let it be known I thoroughly investigated it...

Thank you for your post
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I got to see which one my friend has.... his worked like a charm.

My fathers rifle and my AR were almost dead on...

They were centered and my AR was a half inch low at 50 yards...

I was dead on in 2 shots...

We'll see what bushnell has to say.

And I'll find out which sighter my friend had for you guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes be pissed because it was the personal fault of the girl that answers your call that the bore site is bad...

So yeah show your ass to the CS rep. You'll prove your a big big man.

Try NOT being a jerk. Gets you farther.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have screwed around with a couple different kind and cant find one that is worth the money. I do have a magnetic based BSA sight that works great. On the paper and zeroed in 5 shots or less.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one came with 4 screws near laser. Take a paper target 25 yards away and hang it. Then sercure laser down on table pointed at the target. Turn laser on move the screws tell it spins without moving the laser. If you dont have the 4 screws then you are SOL it wont zero. Mine did same thing tell i took it back and the man at the gun shop showed me how to use it.

Good Luck hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]
The idea of a bore sighter is to get you on paper..........once on the paper shoot and adjust.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well at least he didn't do like this Super Duper Machinist

Super Duper Machinist  Scroll down to 7th Post

HOLY SHIT.

How did I miss that?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Many of those cheapies have calibration set screws under the label. Peel it off and see, you might be able to re-zero it.

FWIW I have used a Leupold magnetic bore sighter with reasonable success.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes be pissed because it was the personal fault of the girl that answers your call that the bore site is bad...

So yeah show your ass to the CS rep. You'll prove your a big big man.

Try NOT being a jerk. Gets you farther.

... wow, your really one to speak...

I may be pissed at the inconveniance... I'm still gonna be respectful unless they are non-helpful and complete dicks about it...

so STFU .
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Many of those cheapies have calibration set screws under the label. Peel it off and see, you might be able to re-zero it.

FWIW I have used a Leupold magnetic bore sighter with reasonable success.

No set screws on this one...

I'm gonna find out which one my friend had... worked great.

Zero'd at 50 yards in 2 shots after using it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top