Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2007 11:12:34 PM EDT
I bought one of these Bushnell XLP Holosigts for my Remington shotgun about 10 months ago for duck hunting.  After a few outings the up intensity button started acting up.  I put up with it for the rest of the season and then sent it in for a warranty repair.   After a while I get a notice that they were going to replace the failed unit, then nothing.  I call and get some story about how they were on back order or some such jazz, well finally I call again and they inform me that they've discontinued the model I used to own and they would be replacing it with some other damn thing that doesn't fit my shotgun.

What the Hell?  I only parted with my dough because I wanted that exact thing.  I don't want something else.  I sent it in for a warranty repair so that I could get back the same exact thing, with the only difference being that it works, not a different model that doesn't serve the same function.  

Piss on Bushnell.  It will be a cold day in hell before I buy anything else those jerks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I could have told you their products sucked a long time ago and saved you the money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushnell, BSA, Simmons, Leapers, Barska, Tasco, etc are all JUNK.

Sure, you may get some use out of it...but the quality of the optics sucks and they are subject to fail at anytime.

Always spend the money on halfway decent optics.

Learn more on the optics forums at SWFA.com

Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations.

In the eyes of some here, you just became an optics snob.

Welcome to the club.  There aren't a whole lot of us, but we're happy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Rule of thumb....spend NO LESS than 1/3 the price of your gun on the optics.

Here's an easier rule:

Leupold

Nikon

Swarovski

other top tier brand

if it isn't one of these four....don't buy it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#5]
A Holosight for duck hunting???
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Holosights and Eotechs aren't made by the same factory?
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A Holosight for duck hunting???

It was a low profile sight with a special saddle mount for Remington that got it really low over the receiver.  It worked great, especially on birds rising up out of the dekes that would ordinarily tend to get covered by the barrel when you swing through them.

A regular EO-tech on a 3rd party mount would be way too high for wingshooting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
+1

I bought a pair of $100 binoculars by Bushnell. They also have a cheaper model in the same style that I found later.

After looking through both, I can't tell the difference.  Which means I paid $70 too much for a $30 pair of binos.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Holosights and Eotechs aren't made by the same factory?

The Bushnell Holosight is made by EOtech.  Similar to how a Cobalt is made by Chevy, but isn't the same thing as a Corvette.  Some people who simply look at the bowtie badge fail to see the difference, but most people realize that one company can make different products with different quality at different price points.

Buy cheap = get cheap
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushnell optics are like Jose Quervo tequila, they make absolute crap on the low end and some of their high end stuff is pretty damn fine...

I don't know if any of you have every messed with their elite 4200 line of scopes, but they are nice optics.  And I have a pair of their top of the line legend binoculars that I truly would not trade for any other product...

That said, I have heard plenty of horror stories about their holosights.

- AG
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
What about the Elite 3200 series?
I just purchased one...  
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My only gun with a cheap Bushnell scope on it is my Ruger 10/22.  If the scope ever breaks it was $40 i will just get another.  It has lasted five years so far with good use.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My only gun with a cheap Bushnell scope on it is my Ruger 10/22.  If the scope ever breaks it was $40 i will just get another.  It has lasted five years so far with good use.

Yup, with a .22 you can get away with quite a bit in cheap optics before breakage from normal use becomes an issue.  With a 12 gauge shotgun, not so much...
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Elite 3200/4200 are the best scopes out there in their price range, so don't worry, you did fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just purchased one...  

The Bushnell Elite series almost always get excellent reviews.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Rule of thumb....spend NO LESS than 1/3 the price of your gun on the optics.

Here's an easier rule:

Leupold

Nikon

Swarovski

other top tier brand

if it isn't one of these four....don't buy it.

Fixed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top