Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2001 5:05:25 PM EDT
I am looking into buyin an AR-15 type rifle. I have been doing a little window shopping and found 2 rifles that look interesting to me (price wise) Both are new.

One is a Bushmaster XM15, 16" barrel & short forearm with fake collapsible stock, asking price is $875 new.

The other is an Armalite 20" barrel long forearm and std buttstock. price on this is $899 also new.

I guess my question is all things the same who makes a better gun? Looking at the bushmaster I notices machinework wasn't as "clean" at least from a set of in-experienced eyes. The bolt carrier looked more like a part from a AK with horrible machining marks vs a nicely milled carrier from the armalite. The couterperson also mentioned Armalite is a higher quality rifle than the Bushmaster. But again that is a salesperson talking.

Whats your guys opinions?
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
ArmaLite M15A2- don't leave home without one.

Bushmaster is fine, too, I might get one at some point, but I chose ArmaLite over Bushmaster because of the better quality. And yes, they chamber ANY kind of .223 ammo, in all sorts of conditions. (I've used WOLF, SA, Federal, IMG, S&B, Barnaul, etc. in my ArmaLite, with no feed problems, no jams.)

Police depts. all over the US and CDN use them both- no brand-specific problems I've heard about. In my area, both go for the same amount of $- so get the better finish and fit- ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are high quality rifles. In this instance, I'd go for the configuration that you like. Do you want a full size or a shorty? you will probably have no problems and will greatly enjoy either rifle.

BTW, the marks on the carrier won't hurt a thing, Mine has them and it is 100% reliable, smooth as silk & accurate as hell (Its a Bushy)
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
[RED][SIZE=5][B]BUSHMASTER[/SIZE=5][/B][/RED]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
They use Wilson barrel blanks of 4140 steel (cheaper, but won't last as long)
View Quote

Negative. ArmaLite branded rifles have chrome lined barrels and bores, whereas their Eagle Arms counterparts use chrome moly barrels. If the chamber is tighter, someone forgot to tell my M15A2.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One is a Bushmaster XM15, 16" barrel & short forearm with fake collapsible stock, asking price is $875 new.

The other is an Armalite 20" barrel long forearm and std buttstock. price on this is $899 also new.
View Quote

My personal opinion I would get the Armalite with the 20" BBL.  Those fake CAR stocks that don't collapse serves no useful purpose, except maybe a "cool" factor.  To me the standard stock would be more comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]
We sincerely hope this answers your question. Choice between an Armalite or a Bushmaster? Yes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
To hell with Colt.  Their pre-ban and early post-ban AR15s were pretty outstanding, but their new production rifles suffer from some serious quality control defects.  I'd personally stick with a company like Bushmaster, which has a solid reputation for quality products (as well as a solid reputation for not selling out their civilian customers).

In addition, I strongly feel that Colt has sold out its civilian customers in light of politically correct politics.  This is reflected not only by their shoddy worksmanship in civilian rifles, but also in gun cosmetics.  Ever notice hold Colt started altering their rifles even before the company was required to do so by Federal Law?  This can be seen in the Blue Labels without bayo lugs, and the goddamn sear blocks in all of their current production rifles.  As I last recall, Bushmaster didn't cave in to pressure until the company was forced to.

Nevertheless, while some might attribute this post to my "misguided" opinion about Colt, I'm still sure that there are more people out there who'd agree with me than disagree.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]
All of their rifles have a tigher chamber, as confirmed directly from Armalite's lead engineer.
View Quote

Like I said, someone forgot to tell my M15A2.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All of their rifles have a tigher chamber, as confirmed directly from Armalite's lead engineer.
View Quote

Like I said, someone forgot to tell my M15A2.
View Quote

News to me and mine as well. If both are about the same price, go with the quality- you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If both are about the same price, go with the quality.
View Quote

That's what decided it for me. I don't have anything against Bushmaster at all, but when I was shopping for an A2-type rifle, I was able to get my ArmaLite for $710. About the same price as a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You'll never find the perfect for everything rifle.  So just flip a coin and chose your first.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
<-------

I haven't had any problems with my chamber being to tight.  I have had no malfunctions.  The finish is beautiful.  The quality is top notch.  Go with the ArmaLite.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Chevy v. Ford

Both are reputable makers.  

"Do what you will,
just don't expect to any kind of consistent answer."
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm leaning toward the Armalite due to it's configuration. I like the full stock and 20" barrel. But now I'm worried that I might have problems with low end ammo (PMC, Sellier & Bellot etc. etc.)

Does anybody have an Armalite and actualy have problems associated with the "tighter" chamber & low end ammo?

Also are the prices I quoted unreasonable for a new rifle? I know prices have jumped a little after Sept-11th.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have not had any problems with any ammo that I've fed my ArmaLite and that includes South African and PMC. I'd like to see a cerrosafe casting of these so-called "tight" chambers. As for pricing, if you can get someone to receive and transfer a rifle, you might think about contacting Mike at Precision Armory [url]http://www.precisionarmory.com[/url] or Gary at Sportsman Supply (a frequent contributor to this board). They might be able to save you $150 or so.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't let opinions on this thread convince you that Bushy is somehow inferior in quality to Armalite. Bushmaster is every bit as high quality than Armalite or any other make for that matter, and IMO, a better value than any. Bushy makes practical use weapons, Armalite makes pretty Ohh and Ahh weapons. FWIW,  Fit and finish on my Bushy is perfect. Best advice is to decide on the things that are most important to you in the gun ("pretty" vs. practical) configuration that best matches the type of use you anticipate for the rifle(Overall general use, blasting, Defense, match shooting etc...) and choose the manufacturer YOU like best that fits those criteria best for you and buy accordingly. This isn't about my opinion as a multiple Bushmaster owner, nor anyone else's opinion on the board as an Armalite owner, but about YOUR money and YOUR rifle. Both are top end AR makers, and you should be happy and have a quality rifle with either one. Congrats on whichever new baby you decide to bring home! ENJOY IT!
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]
And here's one about Bushmaster trouble:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=49587[/url]
So what? Anyone can post anonymously and make up any cock 'n bull story to fit the situation. SFW. That story is nigh impossible to believe. The only difference between it and a fairy tale is a fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time...."
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is turning into another one of those "Tastes great!"  / "Less filling!" pi$$ing matches.[:\]

The fact of the matter is both Bushmaster and Armalite are good solid weapons (period).

Personally, I favor Bushmaster.  But if I only had one AR I'd choose a 20" rifle.  So, do whatever you want.  It's your money.  You won't be disappointed with either choice.

So, make up your mind so you can get to the range and get blastin'![heavy]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#27]
The fact of the matter is both Bushmaster and Armalite are good solid weapons (period).
View Quote

I think I posted something to this effect earlier, but apparently a few people's emotions overlooked it when they were busy tearing down one brand over another. I don't have anything against Bushmaster and truth be told, don't really have a preference. However, when I went shopping for a complete rifle, I was able to get a better deal on an ArmaLite than I could a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I`m fond of the reptile that sounds like a rattlesnake but doesn`t have a rattle as pictured on the excellent Bushmaster
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Just put your hand over your eyes and grab one.

They the same really,same parts from the same place.
Colt,Bushmaster buy all the same parts but Armalite buys about 1/2 from the same people.
Thats way try are the top 3.

I know lots of guys with a colt lower and a bushy upper and so on,as long as the gun is 5.56 and NOT .223 it will eat any ammo.

The thing I really like about Armalite is they have really good comps. that come on the gun in there post-ban set up.

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#30]
as long as the gun is 5.56 and NOT .223 it will eat any ammo.
View Quote

???? Excuse my ignorance but I thought they were on in the same????
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Whatever you do DON'T BUY HESSE![BD]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
as long as the gun is 5.56 and NOT .223 it will eat any ammo.
View Quote

???? Excuse my ignorance but I thought they were on in the same????
View Quote

They are not quite the same as discussed in this SAAMI Tech Bulletin:

SAAMI
SPORTING ARMS AND AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS' INSTITUTE, INC.

Technical Office
P.O. Box 338
Branford, CT 06405-0338

With the appearance of full metal jacket military 5.56 ammunition on the
commercial Market, it has come to the attention of the Sporting Arms and
Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) that the use of military 5.56 mm
ammunition in sporting rifles chambered for Cal. 223 Remington cartridges can
lead to higher-than-normal chamber pressures and possible hazards for the
firearm, its user and bystanders.

Tests have confirmed that chamber pressures in a sporting rifle may be
significantly higher in the same gun when using military 5.56nm ammunition
rather than commercially loaded Cal. 223 Remington cartridges, according to
SAAMI.

SAAMI points out that chambers for military rifles have a different throat
configuration than chambers for sporting firearms which, together with the full
metal jacket of the military projectile, may account for the higher pressures
which result when military ammunition is fired in a sporting chamber.

SAAMI recommends that a firearm be fired only with the cartridge for which it
is specifically chambered by the manufacturer.

Issued -January 31, 1979
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Flip a coin.  Then buy the other brand next
[;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top