Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/8/2004 9:16:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 9:20:01 PM EST by JHP]
Sorry if a dupe, but saw a report that BM and the gun dealer reached a settlement with 8 victims' families from the DC Sniper...

To the tune of $2.5M-$2.8M

BM ~ $550K

They are whores...wonder if you guys will react to this and treat them with disdain like you have for S&W

No link...saw it on FNC but here is stuff from their site

September 8th, 2004 5:54PM est

Bushmaster Firearms is pleased to announce a conclusion to the DC sniper case brought by the victim’s families and the Brady organization. The balance of the insurance policy not spent on legal fees, approximately $550,000, will go to the victim’s families for their grief.

Bushmaster reaffirms its commitment to BATF requirements and National Shooting Sports Foundation’s (NSSF) goals.

Bushmaster supports that FFL Dealers and Distributors who sell its products follow the recommendations of the BATF newsletters and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) publication “Don’t Lie for the Other Guy” program and their other safety literature.

Bushmaster supports the standards set forth by the BATF in their requirements to be a licensed FFL holder.

Richard E. Dyke
Chairman
Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.
Windham, Maine
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:18:04 PM EST
That's bullshit, it's not the gun manufacturers fault. They should be sueing the bastard that did the killing, the one that was responsible. Shit doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:18:36 PM EST
Doesn't look good for BM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:19:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:20:19 PM EST
D'oh!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:22:10 PM EST
+1

PEOPLE should be accountable for their actions, not gun companies or car manufactures or any bussiness that does not have a faulty product
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:23:00 PM EST
I can't beleive they did it. I guess it goes to show that it's cheaper to pay than to prove your right.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:23:23 PM EST
Don't blame BM, blame the lawyers. BM just wants to stay in business and make money legitimately. Lawyers want to steal it from them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:23:48 PM EST
Would you prefer that they go out of business trying to pay years worth of legal fees in multiple civil suits? Can you imagine how much a sympathetic jury might have awarded in a case like this? This is survival, plain and simple. They dealt with the bullshit the best they could, and I'll continue to support them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:29:13 PM EST
The image this presents to the general public is that Bushmaster is responsible for the crimes and is trying to pay off the victims.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:35:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:37:23 PM EST
Dupe, The insurance Co. payed it, not BM. Thats the way business goes here. Maybe if the dems didn't poison the Protection of Lawful Commerce act it would be different. All BM gets is a higher premium. Their sales will fix this this comming week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:37:29 PM EST
This whole affair makes me want to use my Bushmaster to shoot a lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:47:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 9:49:14 PM EST by MisterSuzuki]
Does anyone know....does it really come out of the pockets of BM, or do they have any, or is there such a thing as an insurance policy that covers them, for say....20m, in case of a lawsuit?

Edited: Refreshed now.....still, after the AWB, they'll get their sales fly then!

Originally Posted By JHP:
Sorry if a dupe, but saw a report that BM and the gun dealer reached a settlement with 8 victims' families from the DC Sniper...

To the tune of $2.5M-$2.8M

BM ~ $550K

They are whores...wonder if you guys will react to this and treat them with disdain like you have for S&W

No link...saw it on FNC but here is stuff from their site

September 8th, 2004 5:54PM est

Bushmaster Firearms is pleased to announce a conclusion to the DC sniper case brought by the victim’s families and the Brady organization. The balance of the insurance policy not spent on legal fees, approximately $550,000, will go to the victim’s families for their grief.

Bushmaster reaffirms its commitment to BATF requirements and National Shooting Sports Foundation’s (NSSF) goals.

Bushmaster supports that FFL Dealers and Distributors who sell its products follow the recommendations of the BATF newsletters and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) publication “Don’t Lie for the Other Guy” program and their other safety literature.

Bushmaster supports the standards set forth by the BATF in their requirements to be a licensed FFL holder.

Richard E. Dyke
Chairman
Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.
Windham, Maine

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:51:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By GomerPyle:
Would you prefer that they go out of business trying to pay years worth of legal fees in multiple civil suits? Can you imagine how much a sympathetic jury might have awarded in a case like this? This is survival, plain and simple. They dealt with the bullshit the best they could, and I'll continue to support them.

What he said....

My wife works in the insurance field, for cities. And she pays out millions in bullshit claims because it's often times cheaper than the court costs & lawyer fees. Or some times you just know your on a losing end so you pay up. Even though your right. It really pisses me of to see this happen to BM or anyone else. And I can tell you this much, the guy that owed Bullseye at the time should have had better control over his employees and store. What I think mostly happened he was to busy chasing ( I knew him personally for 10 years) women and let other idiots run his store. So I hope other gun store owners will take/make him as an example and not make the same screw up.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:51:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 9:52:02 PM EST by KA3B]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:56:50 PM EST
The ORIGINAL topic covers this....

Originally Posted By MisterSuzuki:
Does anyone know....does it really come out of the pockets of BM, or do they have any, or is there such a thing as an insurance policy that covers them, for say....20m, in case of a lawsuit?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:38:55 AM EST
So do any of you guys who say they were doing it to stay in business feel the same way about Smith and Wesson?

So many people on this board hate S&W for their decision_which they made to stay in business _ I am curious if this board will now hate BM.

For some reason I doubt it...and the word hypocrit comes to mind
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:56:56 PM EST
We are not going to hate Bushmaster,but surly some of these costs will be passed on to the consummer!!

BMI will probably pass these cost on to us!!!

Bob
Top Top