Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 10/12/2005 8:23:57 AM EDT
I was reading up on the  DC Sniper case when I came across this short article entitled  “Bushmaster .223: Accurate, inexpensive”

Bushmaster .223: Accurate, inexpensive
Thursday, October 24, 2002 Posted: 5:44 PM EDT (2144 GMT)

(CNN) -- The Bushmaster .223 rifle is less popular among game hunters than its name suggests.

But, like the venomous snake for which it is named, the high-powered rifle is deadly.

The gun, according to Eric Haney, a retired U.S. Army sergeant major, is "for those who want the general feel of a military weapon." It's the semi-automatic version of the civilian model of the U.S. military M-16 manufactured by Colt.

A Bushmaster weapon, according to a law enforcement source, was found inside the car of the sniper suspects arrested October 24.

The weapon is sufficient for target shooting long distances, said Haney, who served with the U.S. Army's elite Delta Force in the 1970s and 1980s and was one of its founding members.

"I would have been very surprised if they had not found a scope on that weapon," Haney said. With a scope, the shooter is able to find targets at night more easily, he said.

The Bushmaster make is one of the less expensive models of the of the semi-automatic rifle, usually costing between $500 and $600, he said. "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun," Haney said.

Nor is it hard to operate.

"[It's easy to use] for the type of shooting we saw in the Washington area," Haney said. "Almost an 8-year-old child can be taught to do that in an hour, and hour-and-a-half."

This guy really pissed me off being a Bushmaster owner myself
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:28:51 AM EDT
glad I only own a colt

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:29:31 AM EDT
I wish I could consider $600 inexpensive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:30:34 AM EDT
Someone tell my wife that Bushmasters are 'inexpensive' rifles please...

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT

Quoted:
I wish I could consider $600 inexpensive.

Or buy new Bushies for $600 for that matter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:31:29 AM EDT

The Bushmaster make is one of the less expensive models of the of the semi-automatic rifle, usually costing between $500 and $600, he said. "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun," Haney said.

I want to know where this guy shops.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:31:49 AM EDT
Where do I go to get those $500 Bushmasters, Sgt-Maj. Haney?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:32:58 AM EDT

Quoted:
costing between $500 and $600, he said. "The Bushmaster is known as a cheap gun," Haney said.

Christ I wish my two Bushmaster ONLY cost $500-$600

Haney  is a straight up asshole !
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:33:22 AM EDT

Quoted:
I was reading up on the  DC Sniper case when I came across this short article entitled  “Bushmaster .223: Accurate, inexpensive”

Bushmaster .223: Accurate, inexpensive
Thursday, October 24, 2002 Posted: 5:44 PM EDT (2144 GMT)

(CNN) -- The Bushmaster .223 rifle is less popular among game hunters than its name suggests.

But, like the venomous snake for which it is named, the high-powered rifle is deadly.

The gun, according to Eric Haney, a retired U.S. Army sergeant major, is "for those who want the general feel of a military weapon." It's the semi-automatic version of the civilian model of the U.S. military M-16 manufactured by Colt.

A Bushmaster weapon, according to a law enforcement source, was found inside the car of the sniper suspects arrested October 24.

The weapon is sufficient for target shooting long distances, said Haney, who served with the U.S. Army's elite Delta Force in the 1970s and 1980s and was one of its founding members.

"I would have been very surprised if they had not found a scope on that weapon," Haney said. With a scope, the shooter is able to find targets at night more easily, he said.

Nor is it hard to operate.

"[It's easy to use] for the type of shooting we saw in the Washington area," Haney said. "Almost an 8-year-old child can be taught to do that in an hour, and hour-and-a-half."

This guy really pissed me off being a Bushmaster owner myself

What the fuck? Don't reporters speak english anymore?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:33:53 AM EDT
I wish the liberals would decide on their terminology.
They declare anyone making over $50k/yr to be rich, yet consider a $1300 weapon to be inexpensive?

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck? Don't reporters speak english anymore?

Well, at one time you could buy a full-auto civilian version of the M16, but thats probably not what the writer intended to convey.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:35:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:36:09 AM EDT
Some of the "facts" as given by "experts" in these news interviews can be fascinating...!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:41:19 AM EDT

did haney actually say this? because if he did...well, what can i say - my non-night vision scopes don't work nearly as well as the ones he has handled and used.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:48:03 AM EDT
This cost me much more than that, and it's 5.56mm. I love it when the media says one gun is "more deadly" than another. They need a logic check.

My Much-More-Than-$600 Bushmaster M4A3 16"
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:56:04 AM EDT
Going retail from the dealers at the local funshow thiss weekend had 16" Bushy carbines (all the evil stiff and a collapsible stock) for $650.

We're almost to the good ol days...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:02:37 AM EDT
I wish I could find a Bushy for anywhere near 600 bucks. My M4orgery was like 900 BEFORE tax
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:43:40 AM EDT
I remember buying a new factory made AR for 600...a long time ago...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:58:18 AM EDT

Quoted:

They asked a LEO - they run for about that when LEO's buy them, not you or me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:00:05 AM EDT
If anything, I'd guess it was the writer or his editor that misquoted Haney or took the statements out of context. I doubt any shooter would say scopes make it easier to find targets at night. Also, the reference to the expense of the Bushmaster probly was taken out of context. Although semi-autos were cheaper back in 2002, I think Haney was comparing factory guns to custom guns -- but the writer made it sound like Haney was equating a Bushmaster with a Saturday Night Special.

I'd be wary of talking to reporters anyway.

ETA - for some reason, I cannot correct spelling errors! "probly" = "probably"
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:06:04 PM EDT
I heard the DC sniper stole the Bushmaster rifle from a firing range?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:14:26 PM EDT

Quoted:

Close.  A gun store which has a firing range above it.  My favorite shop, at the time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:14:34 PM EDT
Nah.  Gun shop theft in Washington state, as I recall.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:17:53 PM EDT

Quoted:

Malveaux stole the BM from a shop in Tacoma.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:45:01 PM EDT
Because, you know, a $200 deer rifle wouldn't have worked just as well, or better, for the way they were using it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:48:30 PM EDT
Bushmasters cheap!?

HAH!

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:59:25 PM EDT
i picked up my "cheap" bushmaster for 400.00, used, broken, extractor and firing pin and some internal parts missing, the repair was reasonably inexpensive compared to 750.00 new 3 years ago.
my colt, [i should not have sold], was 600.00 used, in 91, broken, extractor, firing pin, 2 internal screws missing....but it came with a case....and cost about the same to repair. yippee.
apples are apples, no such thing as a cheap quality weapon, today, as if ever.
in comparing the 2, i would take the bushmaster over the colt today for overall quality, upkeep, accuracy dollar for dollar.
this guy is a paid talking head, may have been something once upon a time but not anymore.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:04:19 PM EDT
Where can I find a Bushmaster for $500-$600!!!

And where can I find a high-powered,long range version!?!

They are aware that .223 Remington is a varmint round, right?

It's far less high-powered and shorter in range compared to a genuine hiunting rifle, but I'm preaching to the choir.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:49:54 PM EDT
Funny thing is, I believe  Malvo used a Bushmaster Varminter Rifle a cheep $1265.00.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:55:50 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Malveaux stole the BM from a shop in Tacoma.

HS1

Bullseye!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:02:29 PM EDT

Quoted:
Isn't Haney the author of a book telling of his experience in Delta..........which he wasn''t supposed to disclose?

I really enjoyed the book, but then there wasn't anything in there that will ever jeopardize my realtionships with any of my associates, past, present or future. I believe he really earned some bad will with some of the guys he served with. One thing is certain though, he doesn't get on TV like he used to. At the time of the DC shootings, he seemed to be on the cable news stations all the time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:19:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:26:06 PM EDT

Eric Haney, a retired U.S. Army sergeant major, AND DESK DRIVING REMF ASSWIPE

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:26:54 PM EDT

Quoted:
Haney actually said this in a TV interview, so it is definitely a correct quote.  And, yes, while I respect his service, he obviously knows little about guns.

I'm sure the thousands of former Rangers, Green Berets, SEALs, Force Recon and other high-speed troops working as security contractors in Iraq would have a very different opinion, given that they've been using Bushmaster rifles almost exclusively since  early 2002.

-Troy

really? Why don't they use colts? (Disclaimer, I don't want to start an arguement over colt vs. bushmaster, I own neither, but I'm just surprised the contractors don't use the same manufacturer as the military.)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:33:40 PM EDT

Quoted:
Because, you know, a $200 deer rifle wouldn't have worked just as well, or better, for the way they were using it.

Funny how few outside of the trade realize how deer hunting and 'sniping' are more alike than not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:43:58 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

They asked a LEO - they run for about that when LEO's buy them, not you or me.

I bought a LEO BM M4 Semi, perm brake, w/ M4 handguards on a dept. letterhead and it cost me over $900.00.  That was over 2 years ago, but that was the going price back then.  I don't know what it is now.  Agency price wasn't much better than that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:56:41 PM EDT
wow.... i bought a new bushie in march....cost me over a grand
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:16:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:49:49 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:
really? Why don't they use colts? (Disclaimer, I don't want to start an arguement over colt vs. bushmaster, I own neither, but I'm just surprised the contractors don't use the same manufacturer as the military.)

For the same reason that Bushmaster's sales are double or triple Colt's sales on the civilian market: value.

-Troy

They also use a lot of local stuff, as well as SIG 552's and FN products.  It seems they have a lot of export law issues.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:29:42 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:
Haney actually said this in a TV interview, so it is definitely a correct quote.  And, yes, while I respect his service, he obviously knows little about guns.

I'm sure the thousands of former Rangers, Green Berets, SEALs, Force Recon and other high-speed troops working as security contractors in Iraq would have a very different opinion, given that they've been using Bushmaster rifles almost exclusively since  early 2002.

-Troy

Colt only makes the M4 for the military now, and Fabrique National (military's M16 manufacturer) isnt legally allowed to sell to anyone but the military due to the way the contract was worded and the M16 blueprints/specs supplied.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:28:27 AM EDT

Quoted:
Funny thing is, I believe  Malvo used a Bushmaster Varminter Rifle a cheep $1265.00.

I thought it was a scoped carbine?
Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:02:21 AM EDT
It really peeves me that they call these thug-ass murderers "snipers". Ooooh the media just loves little buzz words.
Top Top