Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2007 6:14:19 AM EDT
Hello all,

My son is finishing up recruit training in Parris Island, SC at the end of next month and concurrently it is his birthday.  I have recieved a letter from him saying how much he has enjoyed his range time.

I am thinking of buying him a Bushmaster Target Model BCWS2A 20 for his birthday and graduation present.  It seems to be in the right price range.

My question is:  Does anyone out there own one and how do they like it?  Second, based on the MSRP of $1105.00, what are the prices realisticly out in the market like?

I already own the M-4 model and I pretty much like the Bushmaster Product.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Why the target model?  It seems you are getting a HBAR (lots of weight) without the freefloat of the DCM (kind of negates the whole "target" name) or the DCM trigger package (which isn't that great anyway).
If your young Marine is going to do target type shooting, I would go ahead and get a DCM rifle, and put a better trigger in it, or get a DCM model from somebody else that already had a better trigger.
If you want something that will replicate his musket, I'd get a standard flattop and put an Aimpoint and/or KAC M5 on it.
Just my thoughts.
ETA:  By standard I would get a non-HBAR model.
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hello all,

My son is finishing up recruit training in Parris Island, SC at the end of next month and concurrently it is his birthday.  I have recieved a letter from him saying how much he has enjoyed his range time.

I am thinking of buying him a Bushmaster Target Model BCWS2A 20 for his birthday and graduation present.  It seems to be in the right price range.

My question is:  Does anyone out there own one and how do they like it?  Second, based on the MSRP of $1105.00, what are the prices realisticly out in the market like?

I already own the M-4 model and I pretty much like the Bushmaster Product.

Chris

Bushmaster's are great, the only thing that always irritated me about them was the out-of-spec FSB that requires the extra long front-sight post.

Don't get me wrong, they are definitely GREAT rifles.  I believe that is about what I paid for my Armalite.  Here is some more info, I just posted this last night:

Armalite M15A2B...Redneck Review and what you didn't know...

eta:   Also want to add, that is a pretty damn amazing gift to give your son.  To have your father give you an AR-15 for basic graduation...damn.  That rifle will probably always mean a lot to him coming from his father.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Instead of getting him a complete Bushmaster rifle, if I were you, I would save some money and get him a complete lower & complete upper from CMMG, to make an M16A4 clone.

complete lower from CMMG for $189.95
A2 stock from a dealer on this board (not at all hard to install) for around $60, or pay just slightly more and get it assembled on the lower from CMMG

Also order a complete upper from CMMG, 20", 1/7 twist, gov't profile barrel w/ flat top upper, f-front sight base, and detachable carry handle. $525.95

Even adding in shipping, plus the transfer fee at an FFL, you're still saving hundreds of dollars.

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=764466&cat=1&noCookiePassThrough=Y&

Link Posted: 8/31/2007 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yea, don't buy him a gun. There are a lot of restrictions on a new guy and what he can own. Save the money for now. They will issue him everything he needs. Wait until he's done and gets settled in a job somewhere, then look at guns and such.

What are you talking about? You can't use personnel weapons in the military anyway. There is no restriction on personally owned firearms other then if you live in the barracks they need to be stored in the unit armory. Being on a federal reservation protects him from things like the CA assault weapon ban if he was stationed at 29 Palms or Camp Pendleton. I had zero problems owning and storing personal firearms while on active duty. I say go ahead and build it and send it to him after he gets to his first primary duty station (i.e. after MOS school).
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yea, don't buy him a gun. There are a lot of restrictions on a new guy and what he can own store in the barracks. Save the money for now. They will issue him everything he needs. Wait until he's done and gets settled in a job somewhere, then look at guns and such.

Worst case scenario, he keeps it at Dad's house or the SF/SP (don't know what marine's call the .mil police) armory for a few years until he is out of the barracks.  In the AF a lot of guys had to store their weapons in the security forces armory or with a friend until they graduated from the dorms.  Best case scenario, young marine is married and will already have BAH allowance and a home for his rifle.

No matter what, for the rest of his life he has a rifle given to him by his father upon graduation from Marine basic.  That means something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yea, don't buy him a gun. There are a lot of restrictions on a new guy and what he can own store in the barracks. Save the money for now. They will issue him everything he needs. Wait until he's done and gets settled in a job somewhere, then look at guns and such.

Worst case scenario, he keeps it at Dad's house or the SF/SP (don't know what marine's call the .mil police) armory for a few years until he is out of the barracks.  In the AF a lot of guys had to store their weapons in the security forces armory or with a friend until they graduated from the dorms.  Best case scenario, young marine is married and will already have BAH allowance and a home for his rifle.

No matter what, for the rest of his life he has a rifle given to him by his father upon graduation from Marine basic.  That means something.

Graduate from the dorms? God the Air Force sickitates me. Even staff NCOs in the Corps (if single) are provided with barracks, though I believe they can opt out and receive BAH and live in town. Otherwise the only way you are getting out is getting married. Personally I loved living in the barracks as a single a E-1 to E-5.

Marine Corps military police are called military police. The ones that conduct LEO duties for the base are part of the Provost Marshalls office (PMO).

I hardly see getting married as a best case scenario!

Storing privately owned weapons in the unit armory was never an issue for me. One of the armorers was my next door barracks neighbor and would walk over with me to the armory on saturday mornings if I wanted to draw my weapons.

Link Posted: 8/31/2007 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I kept mine in the Armory. Took it out every weekend to the Ft. Campbell range on Range Road and never had any problems getting it. The guys in the armory would dink with it sometimes, but it was never damaged.

I'd get him the above mentioned CMMG set-up. He'll want the flat top, and rails if you would get them too. That way he could slap on an ACOG, or Aimpoint, or bipod, or VFG, or light, or ect. -later if he wants. While the carry handle will let him stay up on the iron sights.
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy now in case they are banned again soon.

You never know............
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Hello Folks,

Thank you for the great information!

Here is what I am leaning towards doing....I think I might want to build him a AR-15!

First, time is on my side....I do have some time.  After 9/28/07, he will be home on 10 days of leave before heading up to Camp Lejuene for MCT (Marine Combat Training) for about 6 weeks.  (Funny thing is that I live 1/2 between both Parris Island, SC and Camp Lejuene, NC on the SC Coast).

I am going to order a lower stripped reciever today and perhaps that will give me some time to get "my plan together".  Several suggestions have got me moving in this direction.  First, the idea of "personalizing" his rifle.  Second, I can probably get as many, if not more features, on it than buying a single model of rifle.

Chis

Link Posted: 9/1/2007 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am going to order a lower stripped reciever today and perhaps that will give me some time to get "my plan together".  Several suggestions have got me moving in this direction.  First, the idea of "personalizing" his rifle.  Second, I can probably get as many, if not more features, on it than buying a single model of rifle.

Chis

Thus, the beauty (and curse) of BRD.
Have fun and good luck with whatever configuration.
As an aside, you could have the lower engraved as well.  That's what I am going to do with the two builds I am doing for my kids.  The rifles will be personalized, and will be an heirloom in addition to a tool.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The target model is just a standard HBAR rifle equal to the M16A2. Around here they can be had for 850 to 900 new.

Thank your son for me for his service to our country btw.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello Friends,

I wanted to share with you all that I finished the build finally and upon Family Day and Graduation from "Recruit Training", I presented my son, Dan, with his first M-4!  

Here he is in his "Class Alpha" uniform shortly after I gave it to him:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/carolinaman/S2010057.jpg

He is very happy with his new rifle and I am amazed that he actually likes the A-2 straight upper.  He told me, "sir, I've been trained to shoot at 500 yards and prefer the fixed sights!"

I am very happy with the build and he is presently getting his MCT at Camp Griger in NC for the next 22 days!

Best and thank you for the input!

Chris
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell your son congratulations from us and that we're proud of him and thankful for his willingness to serve.

You're not too shabby of a dad either. Looks like a sweet gift.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats dad!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Getting a rifle built by your Dad is a awesome thing & something to pass down to his son. Mine was a Garand...my dad was in WWII. I will someday build a rifle for my son, if he is a Marine, I'll get Anvil arms or Orion to put a Eagle Globe & Anchor on the magwell.

Great job Pop.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hello Friends,

I wanted to share with you all that I finished the build finally and upon Family Day and Graduation from "Recruit Training", I presented my son, Dan, with his first M-4!  

Here he is in his "Class Alpha" uniform shortly after I gave it to him:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/carolinaman/S2010057.jpg

He is very happy with his new rifle and I am amazed that he actually likes the A-2 straight upper.  He told me, "sir, I've been trained to shoot at 500 yards and prefer the fixed sights!"

I am very happy with the build and he is presently getting his MCT at Camp Griger in NC for the next 22 days!

Best and thank you for the input!

Chris

Service "B"  

Congrats to your son, Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#18]

best thread i've seen in GD for a LONG time  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Hello and Thank you for the kind replies!

Actually, this did turn out to be quite the adventure for "Dad" as he built his first lower, (not a problem since I built 2 1911's in the mid-nineties) and had to take a trip to visit Delton-Inc. in Elizabethtown, NC.  

First, let me say that in all honesty I have never met such a bunch of really nice and supportive folks when I drove to Delton-Inc's facility in NC about 1 1/2 hours from me up the coast in NC from Myrtle Beach, SC where I live!  I actually met a couple of the folks that many of you all have probably talked to on the phone and they are just incredible folks!

I just purchased 2 of their P-Mags for my Bushmaster M-4.  (Yes, the apple doesn't really fall too far from the tree).

When I presented the rifle to my son, there were honest to God tears in his eyes and we were bonded again after so many months spent away in Recruit Training.

Right now, he is at MCT (Marine Combat Training) at Fort Geiger up the coast where I drove him last week.

I am buying an Assault Case to fit his new rifle in for his Christmas Present.  Then I am going to arrange a special trip for him to the range!

I am sorry that I don't know more about the nomenclature of the USMC.  But, I have learned much about the USMC from my son in the brief time I spent with him and the weekly letters that I recieved from him when he was in Recruit Training in Parris Island.

Again folks, thank you for the kind comments!

Best,

Chris
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Great post.

Very happy for you and son.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top