Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 3:37:58 PM EDT
Big internal fight in the Republican party about how the issue of illegal immigration will be addressed at the convention. Bush stance is that there should be no talk of that issue at the convention, and only those who support amnesty should be delgates to the convention. Big business wants their cheap labor and GWB wants to give it to them.

Illegal immigration is the reason GWB will lose California.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Related story:

GOP to finesse immigration issue

By Ralph Z. Hallow
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Republican Party's platform will oppose amnesty for illegal aliens, predicts Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, the platform committee chairman.
   "I believe it likely there will be a strong statement against amnesty," the Tennessee Republican said in an interview with The Washington Times.
   President Bush's "guest-worker" proposal for dealing with illegal immigration, which he outlined in a White House speech in January, includes a limited, three-year amnesty for qualified illegal aliens holding jobs in the United States.

The plan has deeply angered many Republicans, who say it is meant to pander to the growing Hispanic vote, and they blame the idea on Bush advisers, including chief political strategist Karl Rove.
   But in the interview, Mr. Frist emphasized that he is not taking orders on platform matters from the White House and specifically not from Mr. Rove.
   "People always say, 'How close are you working with the administration, with Rove?' " Mr. Frist said. "I have talked to Karl about the platform for a total of less than two minutes since I began working on this in the last month."
   The Democratic platform, adopted in Boston last month at the party's national convention, supports offering citizenship to illegal immigrants in the United States who clear background checks.
   Mr. Bush's guest-worker plan has not been well-received even by some of the president's closest friends and allies.
   "I'm trying to understand it. But to me, illegal means illegal," Sen. Zell Miller, a conservative Georgia Democrat who will deliver the keynote speech at the Republican National Convention next week, said of the Bush proposal.
   "We are a nation of immigrants, of course; we all know that, but we are also a nation of laws and I'm having trouble reconciling that," Mr. Miller said earlier this year.
   House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, one of the most visible skeptics among Republican lawmakers, said, "Those that seek the American dream must follow American laws. I applaud the president for addressing this difficult and complex issue, but have heartfelt reservations about allowing illegal immigrants into a U.S. guest-worker program that seems to reward illegal behavior."
   Rep. Melissa A. Hart of Pennsylvania will lead the Republican Party's platform subcommittee dealing with immigration.
   Mr. Frist, tasked by the president with overseeing a delicate political balancing act, acknowledged that the Bush plan is one of the most divisive issues facing Republicans as they prepare to gather in New York for their national convention next week.
   Mr. Frist, a former surgeon, said he has heard concerns about Mr. Bush's proposal from many Republicans, including some of the 110 platform committee members — all of whom also are delegates to the Republican National Convention.
   "Delegates may not be in complete sync with the president's past proposals or policies," he said. "I predict the platform subcommittee ... will spend a substantial amount of time debating immigration."
   The draft platform, being written by staff working under Mr. Frist's direction, will get its first airing on Wednesday morning by the 26 convention delegates chosen to sit on the platform subcommittee dealing with immigration.
   The problem for Mr. Frist, he acknowledged, is that, in order to avoid a possible convention floor fight, the platform's immigration plank has to be written in such a way as to reconcile, or at least appear to reconcile, the irreconcilable. That is, it has to oppose amnesty, but not oppose the president's plan, which includes a temporary amnesty that also, as some critics claim, can lead to citizenship for those granted amnesty.
   "The document," Mr. Frist acknowledged, "has to reflect the president's principles and at same time the party's principles and policies."

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Only because they will all be registered to vote by Democrats.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, Bush has said in the past that he does not favor amnesty, but rather a legal worker import program.  Unfortunately, the democrats will settle for nothing less than amnesty so that they can harvest another crop of ready voters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

While I don't want to minimie the impact of illegal immigration, that statement simply isn't true.

Bush will lose California because it's full of screaming left-wing whackos with too much money, too much time, and too much ego. Period.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I don't want to minimie the impact of illegal immigration, that statement simply isn't true.

Bush will lose California because it's full of screaming left-wing whackos with too much money, too much time, and too much ego. Period.

California voters recalled Gov Davis and put a RINO, like Bush, into his office. Bush could have won California, he wont, becuase conservatives are furios about Bush's amnesty proposal and lack of border enforcement.

The Republicans control the house, senate, and the white house. Yet they have done nearly nothing about border enforcement. additionally, Bush's proposed amnesty caused a spike in illegal immigration becuase the mexicans believed if they got here before Bush's plan was implemented they would be able to stay. Bush cant blaim the Democrats for this one.

Illegal immigration cost California 5 Billion a year.  85 public Hospitals and trauma centers have closed becuase of unisured illegal immigrants burdening them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a very conservative GOPer and I am not furious at W.  Sounds like wishful thinking on behalf of ar15fan and the Dems.  Can't find anything good about Gunboat Gilligan and the Carp for they will try to manufacture an issue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
California is in play, don't kid yourself.  While Bush may well lose it, it will be close rather than the democrat's assumed blow-out.  

I agree it will be close. Which is why losing the votes of those pissed off about illegal immigration is going to be the deciding factor.

Those who do not live in border states have no idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in a border state.  My Dad was the first generation born in this country.  My daughter is married to an Hispanic.  Hispanophobia will not bring Mexicans into the GOP.  Mexicans typically have conservative values but bombthrowers like ARFAN seem to want to demonize them.

I have no problems with W that would cause me a moments hesitation in the voting booth.  W'04!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Mexicans typically have conservative values but bombthrowers like ARFAN seem to want to demonize them.

Nope.  I just think they should immigrate legally. Border Jumpers should be arrested and deported, regardless of skin tone or national origin.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Bush can't WIN Kalifornia ................... Besides they done bought and paid for Kerry !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      This is a Democrat  the day after election  :
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mexicans typically have conservative values ...

Yes, but they (largely) vote democrat.  You'd think that, with the strong influence of the Catholic church in their culture, that they would not go with the pro-choice candidates, but they don't.

I have no problem with LEGAL immigration.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only because they will all be registered to vote by Democrats.

Acutally the according to pools I've heard 75% of Hispanic voters favor immigration control.

Thats because they are here legally and dont like people who cut corners.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Why? do folks out there actually believe Kerry will crack down on it?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. You do realize there is more than two candidates running, and that the lessor of two evils is still evil?

Bush has had 4 years to address the federal problem of illegal immigration and all he has done is propose amnesty. People will either vote third party, or stay home, becuase of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

lmao....yeah, that's it
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Big business my ass, he needs hispanic votes

No habla...

Hey Aimless! How's it goin' cabron???

Democrats just see a source of votes. Period. And as far as cheap labor, no one is forcing them to run to the border.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. You do realize there is more than two candidates running, and that the lessor of two evils is still evil?

Bush has had 4 years to address the federal problem of illegal immigration and all he has done is propose amnesty. People will either vote third party, or stay home, becuase of it.

Sure....single issue voters maybe. Of course, there are other issues in the world that some are concerned about.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am a very conservative GOPer and I am not furious at W.  Sounds like wishful thinking on behalf of ar15fan and the Dems.  Can't find anything good about Gunboat Gilligan and the Carp for they will try to manufacture an issue.

I'm using that from now on.....

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure....single issue voters maybe. Of course, there are other issues in the world that some are concerned about.

like the AWB that Bush supports extending? Or condoms for the congo? Or senior citizen drug welfare?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Big internal fight in the Republican party about how the issue of illegal immigration will be addressed at the convention. Bush stance is that there should be no talk of that issue at the convention, and only those who support amnesty should be delgates to the convention. Big business wants their cheap labor and GWB wants to give it to them.

You've been listening to too much John and Ken.  

EAM  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illegal immigration is a major issue in states like California. Bush could lose the support he has in this state if he continues to push this amnesty BS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You've been listening to too much John and Ken.  

EAM  

Heh, that was my first thought also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top