Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2001 5:32:48 PM EDT
Bush just announced Pa's Governor as director of Homeland Defense. Not sure what this is gonna mean.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully the issuance of your rifle of choice and as much ammo as you wish with paid time off to train as a marksman.

A fella can dream can't he?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, maybe he'll remember his Pennsy boys when the time comes.

Or, our Liberties are going to be under fire. Even though I voted for Bush, I hope this doesn't mean we trade Liberty for a little temporary safety.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone give us the scoop on him!
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know that much about Tom Ridge other than the NRA gave him a A rating.  I heard he is pro gun, although I believe he voted for the ban on assualt rifles in 94'.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]
This really scares me. Ridge is Republican in Name Only, think Arlen Spector. Rep Bonion(D) just praised him. He also wrote the 94 Crime Bill. I don't trust him, this newly created office, and neither should you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
We need to petition him to bring the CMP into the light and get more people shooting evil black guns "for the children." [:)]

Seriously, I see the CMP as a great way to train people in essential marksmanship in the event of the need for defense by the citizens on domestic land and to insure freedom and safety.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Better ? might be is who takes his place in PA
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I think he's progun to a point and has stated he doen't like SUR's in the past. He's a moderate middle of the roader and did get our bloomin taxes down after what Casey did to us years ago. He's got my respect being a vet and could be a lot worse. It could have been Chuckie Schumer. [:D]

Maybe he'l have a different take on guns now. Hopefully...

Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Are there any links to what Tom Ridge's history has been regarding RKBA?  Please post them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
To add, he may be progun because Pennsy has about 1 million hunters per the PA Game Commission's estimates.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
My question is WHY?

Is he giving up his position at Governor?  Was he being term-limited out?  Do we get to appoint another Governor?

Why would a guy give up a perfectly good job as Governor?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
He's at the end of his 2nd term. He was up for a cabinet position in Bush's admin but didn't accept.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#15]
As Governor, he's been neither pro nor anti RKBA. He's a career politico, with all the baggage that entails. Now that he's chief of Internal Security it just means that you'll be asked "Papers, please" that much sooner.

That cabinet position is the beginning of the end for our rights, especially those enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
This site [url]http://www.nauticom.net/www/acsl/[/url] (Allegheny County Sportsmen's League)
may have some info on Ridge's record on guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, looks like you guys had the same take as I on this new Office of Homeland Defense.  I don't like it one bit.  This will be the dept. that keeps tabs on all you guys with arsenals.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#18]
This jackass Ridge is nothing more than an undercover Democrat...

You PA guys remember when our Vehicle registration costs tripled ???

Guess who the asshole was that made it happen at the stroke of a pen...
(I don't forget shit that hits me DIRECTLY in my pocket)

I suppose you fellow PA guys are also aware of the ILLEGAL registry of gun purchases and owners kept by the PA state police ???

Guess who is in bed with the PA state police...

Yep...
Tom Ridge is just fucking great...
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#19]
dragracecart, thanks for jogging my memory. Here is a link to info on a lawsuit against Ridge by the ASCL.

[url]http://www.nauticom.net/www/acsl/register/registration.html[/url]

Didn't the NRA give Algore an "A" rating once?
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:This jackass Ridge is nothing more than an undercover Democrat...

You PA guys remember when our Vehicle registration costs tripled ???

Guess who the asshole was that made it happen...

I suppose you fellow PA guys are also aware of the ILLEGAL registry of gun purchases and owners kept by the PA state police ???

Guess who is in bed with the PA state police...

Yep...
Tom Ridge is just fucking great...
View Quote

Amen!

Lt. Gov Schweicker will become Governor until the next election for Governor(which is next year).
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
One thing to remember...the LACK of an Office of Homeland Security didn't keep Clinton from going after our guns.  I don't think its presence makes that much of a difference.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The "Office of Homeland Defense" was something dreamt up by the klinton administration in 98 or 99 and hardly got any press coverage. IIRC this agency was to have under it's command a "rapid reaction force" comprised of feds and or military for use INSIDE the U.S.

I will have to do some digging to see if I can find those articles again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The "Office of Homeland Defense" was something dreamt up by the klinton administration in 98 or 99 and hardly got any press coverage. IIRC this agency was to have under it's command a "rapid reaction force" comprised of feds and or military for use INSIDE the U.S.

I will have to do some digging to see if I can find those articles again.
View Quote

After that kind of insinuation you had better!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#24]
You know something, IF I find those articles and post them here, I will just be the subject of "tin foil hat" and "black helicopter" bullshit from the usual suspects.

Why the hell should I even bother anymore. I hope all of this shit comes down and the U.S. becomes a police state that would make Hitler proud. Some of you people deserve it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You know something, IF I find those articles and post them here, I will just be the subject of "tin foil hat" and "black helicopter" bullshit from the usual suspects.

Why the hell should I even bother anymore. I hope all of this shit comes down and the U.S. becomes a police state that would make Hitler proud. Some of you people deserve it.
View Quote

I hope they deploy a rapid reactionary force to help you pull your big head out of your ass.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:39:15 AM EDT
[#26]
It would take entire Army Corps of Engineers to get your head out of sand.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 12:51:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It would take entire Army Corps of Engineers to get your head out of sand.
View Quote

Coming from someone who's shown his own awareness by spending the better part of 3600+ post lamenting his love life, only owning a .38 and a 10/22, and plucking coins from mall fountains, I'll be sure to place appropriate weight on that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Do whatever you want. You are of no concern to me anymore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:06:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Snappy comeback. Typically lacking in substance, though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 4:56:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Plucking coins from mall fountains?
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#31]
[b]This jackass Ridge is nothing more than an undercover Democrat...[/b]

dragracecart: You hit the nail on the head. I should spank myself for not knowing some of the things you mentioned and what I found at these  links. Some things never see the light of day here in the Reading area.

Analysis on Ridge: [url]http://www.hhi.com/foac/ridge/Ridge_new_982.html[/url]

This is an email response that I received from the ACSL:

[i]To: [email protected]
Subject: Gov. Ridge: Record on Guns

Hello,

In light of Gov Ridge being selected as Director for Homeland Defense, can you tell me or refer me to a source for his record on firearms?

Thanks,

Mr.  Schaeffer,

You can visit our web site at:  [url]http://www.hhi.com/foac/[/url] for a full background on Tom Ridge.

[b]His appointment will result in a serious problem for the cause of individual liberties.[/b]

You can also visit the ACSL's web site on our law suit against Tom Ridge.
[url]
http://www.nauticom.net/www/acsl/register/registration.html[/url]

Also visit our web site on Tom Ridge's fight to prevent a legislative compliance audit on the Pennsylvania Instant Check System.  [url]http://www.nauticom.net/www/acsl/alerts/alert_no_2_SB%201444.htm[/url]

If you have any other questions we will be happy to get the answer for you.

Mike Slavonic
Chairman, Legislative Committee
[url]http://www.nauticom.net/www/acsl/[/url][/i]

Link Posted: 9/21/2001 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Imbroglio, I'd like to see that info.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[b]This jackass Ridge is nothing more than an undercover Democrat...[/b]

dragracecart: You hit the nail on the head. I should spank myself for not knowing some of the things you mentioned and what I found at these  links. Some things never see the light of day here in the Reading area.
View Quote

READING AREA ????
WHEREABOUTS ????

....I'm in the Reading area too.... (Mt.Penn)

I've met-up/shot with several AR-15.com members in the last several months...
(Shaggy, Paspecops, DavidC, 7, FattyM4, Libertyof76, FrankSquid...)

Did I mention Shaggy ??? [:)]
Everybody want's to be his friend.
(He's the spoiled kid on the block with ALL the COOL toys)
[frag][50][pistol][pyro][rail][rocket][shotgun][heavy][uzi][sniper]

Where have you been ?

Drop me an E-mail...
We might know each other...

Myself and several buddies get together pretty regularly, and waste massive amounts of ammo...
Usually at least once a month, sometimes 3X a month...
Depends on the weather & enthusiasm...

All are welcome...

Edited to illustrate Shaggy's small collection...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey drag,

Boyertown boy here, used to live in Birdsboro....now livin in VA.

Godd bless Yuengling Beer and Sturgis Pretzles!

Bulldog Out (now once)
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hey drag,

Boyertown boy here, used to live in Birdsboro....now livin in VA.

Godd bless Yuengling Beer and Sturgis Pretzles!

Bulldog Out (now once)
View Quote

You mean...

"NAW VUNST" ???
[beer]

...Sorry, don't know any PA dutch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Imbroglio, I'd like to see that info.
View Quote

Do a search on Worldnetdaily.com about "homeland defense" you will find an article from 1999 there. It only mentions the national guard units being trained for NBC, called RAID teams IIRC. The article that will be harder to find is the 2500 man "rapid response force" composed of fed agents that was to be under control of the U.S. Attorney General.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Well Imb, I'd appreciate documentation.
You've never failed in the past...your memory is rather superior to most.

PossumKiller
sans tinfoil
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm from Pottsville, and currently in TX.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Oh, and Imbroglio is 100% correct.  Homeland Defense circa 1999 deals with the aftermath of an attack, and is not pre-emptive or predictive in nature.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I just heard on Fox (for what it's worth), that he was appointed a cabinet level position, and and not a cabinet post.  Thus, some of the my fear of him creating a beauracracy that outlives it's usefulness is null.

Still, "Homeland defence" reeks of gun control and the stifleing of all rights.  We need to kick terrorist ass, not condemn Americans for being true to the ideals of the original Americans.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#41]
dragracecart, you have mail. Neighbor. [:D]

Glad to see some other local folks on here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just heard on Fox (for what it's worth), that he was appointed a cabinet level position, and and not a cabinet post.  Thus, some of the my fear of him creating a beauracracy that outlives it's usefulness is null.

Still, "Homeland defence" reeks of gun control and the stifleing of all rights.  We need to kick terrorist ass, not condemn Americans for being true to the ideals of the original Americans.
View Quote

It was either other memebers of the cabinet or Congress who said that they wanted it to be a permanent cabinet position.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top