Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/6/2002 6:10:32 AM EDT
[b]China asks Bush why he called Taiwan a country[/b] BEIJING (Reuters) - China has asked the United States for an explanation on why U.S. President George W. Bush (news - web sites) referred to Taiwan as a country during a speech last week in Washington, a Foreign Ministry official said on Saturday. Reports in Taiwanese newspapers on Friday said Bush called the island the "Republic of Taiwan" and a "country" in an apparent slip of the tongue during a speech to diplomats and business executives on Thursday. Calling Taiwan a country would threaten to compromise a major pillar of Sino-U.S. relations, which were set up in 1979 largely based on a U.S. nod to the "one China" principle, which states that Taiwan is a part of China. "The Chinese side already asked the American side to give clarification on this," said a foreign ministry official reached by telephone. Beijing views Taiwan -- which calls itself the Republic of China -- as a renegade province to be reunited eventually, by force if necessary. Taiwan's United Daily News quoted a U.S. official as saying Bush's labelling Taiwan as a republic was a "slip of the tongue" and indicated no shift in U.S. policy. Bush was referring to the entry late last year and this year of China and Taiwan, respectively, into the World Trade Organisation, reports said. The English-language Taipei Times newspaper quoted Bush as saying it was "important to recognise and to welcome both countries, both the Republic of Taiwan, and of course China, into the World Trade Organisation". The Taiwan issue has often caused rough patches in bilateral ties and U.S. arms sales to Taiwan have angered Beijing. Last month an editorial in the official China Daily newspaper said Beijing felt "betrayed" after a U.S. decision to allow Taiwanese defence minister Tang Yiau-ming into the United States for talks with defence officials and warned of a setback in Sino-U.S. ties. But foreign ministry officials later confirmed both sides were moving ahead with plans for a scheduled visit by Chinese Vice President Hu Jintao to the United States in April. [url=story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020406/wl_asia_nm/asia_98629_1&printer=1]Article[/url]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:21:58 AM EDT
Oh please, Lord, don't let him apologize!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:31:04 AM EDT
Taiwan is a country for all intents and purposes... But trying telling that to the fascists in Beijing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:32:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ckapsl: Taiwan is a country for all intents and purposes... But trying telling that to the fascists in Beijing.
View Quote
I thought they were Communists? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:10:00 AM EDT
Way to go GWB! Taiwan IS a country, and deserves to be treated as such. It's about time an american president said it (even if by mistake.) So much for my opinion that Bush can't do anything right. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:22:54 AM EDT
I love how these commie pukes always refer to "sides". At least they don't play around at pretending to not be our enemy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:27:03 AM EDT
Can you say Freudian slip! The problem is that communists cannot deal in reality. We need to stop dealing in half-truths when it comes to foregin relations.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:27:19 AM EDT
Bush Calls Taiwan a Country- Couched in his comment: "...Hey, bay-ZHJING! Take a hint!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:32:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BYU: We need to stop dealing in half-truths when it comes to foregin relations.
View Quote
This will continue to happen unless the makeup of the State Department changes dramatically. Regarding our dealings with other nations, no other single entity weakens us more than the State Department. -kill-9
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:35:34 AM EDT
Taiwan is a country. Taiwan is not unlike the United States 200 yrs. ago. The people of Taiwan rebelled against tyranny, just like the patriots of the American revolution. We need to stand by them and support them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:38:38 AM EDT
This is as funny as the time a Canadian comedian came up to him and pretended to be the Canadian Priminister and he was beleiving every word. "I wuz never great in arithmatic mister ociffer."
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:12:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Arc_Angel: Taiwan is a country. Taiwan is not unlike the United States 200 yrs. ago. The people of Taiwan rebelled against tyranny, just like the patriots of the American revolution. We need to stand by them and support them.
View Quote
I agree 110%! Tyler
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:23:45 PM EDT
All of my current maps show Taiwan as a country. That is until China turns it into a smoldering rock pile.......
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 4:36:36 PM EDT
All the Chinese people from Taiwan whom I know prefer to be called Chinese. Maybe it's changed in the last 25 years. That said, they don't want to be crushed under the bootheel of the PLA any more than we do. . . .
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:29:28 PM EDT
I wonder if it was a slip? We don't have the sea power anymore to screen them like we used to, so maybe he used a 'slip' to let the reds know we are still on the good guys side.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:36:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Arc_Angel: The people of Taiwan rebelled against tyranny, just like the patriots of the American revolution.
View Quote
Actually, CKS was a gangster and the KMT were JBTs. His high-tailing to Formosa was a tyrant running from another tyrant. The jury is still out on who was the bigger asshole. CKS was simply our asshole. The current government has evolved into a strong democracy. And, as to the Taiwanese vs Chinese: The Chinese immigrants and their families from maybe 1920 (particularly those who escaped from Mao) on prefer being called Chinese. They tend to speak Mandarin or Cantonese. The folks who were there before prefer to be called Taiwanese. They speak Taiwanese. Their culture, while strongly influenced by the Chinese and Japanese, is Taiwanese.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:16:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Arc_Angel: Taiwan is a country. Taiwan is not unlike the United States 200 yrs. ago. The people of Taiwan rebelled against tyranny, just like the patriots of the American revolution. We need to stand by them and support them.
View Quote
Arc, Formosa 'was' a country. After Mao kicked everyone's ass in China, the remnants fled to Formosa where they only killed as many Formosan's as was necessary to take control and rename the island nation Taiwan. The people of Formosa rebelled against no one but had their country taken from them by the Chinese Nationalist. I support Taiwan but don't support revisionists history.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:58:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Originally Posted By ckapsl: Taiwan is a country for all intents and purposes... But trying telling that to the fascists in Beijing.
View Quote
I thought they were Communists? [;)]
View Quote
We'll settle on extremists. Make everyone happy!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:07:02 AM EDT
I'm just waiting for Steyr to tell us how much we spend on Taiwan and how come it's too much.
Top Top