Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:40:46 AM EDT
In the county that I live in the people burn their garbage in barrels in their yards.  This disgusting habit is practiced by almost all of the people that live outside of a town and even in the small village that my home is in.  The closest garbage dump is about 12 miles away but it seems that the hillbillies only use it to empty the full barrels of stinking ash about once a month.  The smell of smoldering plastic and household garbage makes it impossible to enjoy an outdoor event or quiet evening on the front porch.  I have no idea how much pollution can be attributed to this practice but it has to be a hazard.  The rusty barrels lined up next to the road in front of house after house is mute testimony to the fact that lazy, uncouth, ignorant people live there.

I hope to have a talk with the county commisioner about this subject and the lack of a leash law for pets.  Is this a problem in other rural locations?  I have lived in several states but have never seen anything like this.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
We get a lot of burns up in the county I currently live in as well but they're illegal.  We send the police out.  I guess you may want to attempt a petition to your county government banning garbage and leaf burning.  Primarily this occurrs in city limits though...country folk never care much.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I see people burn stuff off and on, buy most the time its just paper or cardboard around here.

Have seen people burn plastic or rubber before though
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Here in So. Kali-fornia the former smog/air pollution capital of the USA, they've banned open burning of anything, even leaves period. The burning of plastics is a health hazard because it creates air borne particulates. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell, I burn my garbage...but out on the back 30, not in the yard.    No county leash law here either and I doubt talking to your commisioner is going to do any good at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
move back to the city and you will not have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It's the south...what did you expect?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sgatr15

i suspect he was hoping to avoid dealing with yankee shitbags
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Leaf Burning is a country tradition...keeps the weeds and crap down in the ditches. Smells really good too, especially when started with gasoline!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
We have billboards up everyehere around here encouraging you to report your neighbor for burning trash!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]
hm...I must be missing something...
I live in rural indiana on 10 acres and lots and lots of trees.  We burn all our paper stuffs and send the plastic/metal/glass to town.  we throw all the cut limbs, dead stuff, dead trees onto a burnpile.  It gets a good 8 feet tall and about 15 feet in circumference(on the ground) usually.  We use our papers to start it.  Sometimes those flames will get a good 30 feet in the air except when the wood is green or wet.  We burn it about 3-4 times a year.

don't you wanna be me neighbor?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
We had a few neighbors growing up that burned their trash.

Cheap freakin bastard ASSHATS!!  The smell is obnoxious, and reminded me of the incinerator in my grandparents building in NYC.

These people are the same type that will give their 16 year old daughter .50 on the dollar for her food stamps so she has money for smokes.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Paper, wood, grass, weeds are fine. General house garbage is offensive unless you have enough land that your neighbors would never know or care. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to see it pretty frequently around here, but now it seems just the older folks who've lived in BFE their whole lives burn garbage.  Burning leaves is another story, but I don't see a problem with that.  As long as you only have a small fire and rake the leaves onto it, there are very few ashes to land on a neighbor's property.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1

Sounds like some of the asshats from Caliban moving out to Arizona.

"Can't we ban guns and shooting? We can't even enjoy our time outdoors with all the sounds of shooting."

My dad grew up in a small rural community where they still burn their trash to this day. Unburnables go to the dump every so often. I never noticed anything bad about the smell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I never noticed anything bad about the smell.

Does that mean the only reason you won't eat a shit sandwich is because you don't like the bread?

I'm sorry, burning trash is not the same, as say the smell from Ag OPS.  Part of what makes civilization such is healthy sanitation practices.

Cardboard, newspapers, and the like are one thing.

But you are gonna tell me that it's reasonable for a person to burn things like: drain oil (other than in a furnace), used diapers, and other household "waste"??

Especially if they are making the effort to take the "un-burnable" items to the dump, this just makes them cheap.  Period.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I burn paper products that are stained with food oils, pizza cartons with cheese, etc. that can't be recycled all the time.  Very rarely is plastic put in and it shouln't.  The little leftover food products get taken to....well... someone else place that has garbage collection  People should learn to burn after dark though, if they can, when people aren't outside and volunteer firemen are at home if the fire would happen to spread.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Fuck the environment.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#20]

I say fuck garbage haul off..  I have burned for 25 years..  and still do..

Once every two or three years, I will haul off a fiberglass boat filled with ash, tires etc

The spray cans do go boom every once in a while..  

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
This time of year the police are the ones burning stuff around here.  They have got something against those tall green plants they make rope out of.

They are commies!!  Pinko booger eatin commies!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Sounds like some of the asshats from Caliban moving out to Arizona.

"Can't we ban guns and shooting? We can't even enjoy our time outdoors with all the sounds of shooting."

My dad grew up in a small rural community where they still burn their trash to this day. Unburnables go to the dump every so often. I never noticed anything bad about the smell.

+10
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I have lived in cities before.  It didn't suit me.  Open burning of leaves and limbs on your own property is fine here and is regulated during the dry winter months with burn permits.  The yokels get around the burn permits by using the barrels.  In a small community the decent thing to do would be to respect your neighbor and not foul up their property with your stench.  I have a small three acre place. More than most of my neighbors but I would never impose upon them by making them smell my garbage burning.  Imagine within 50 yards of your house, three barrels of burning plastic, diapers and food scraps.  Are you liking that?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#24]
but your landfilleds are coming up to the back of my land and i have to put up with it.and yes i lived here 6 years before they brought the property behind mine.yes it was tryed to be blocked and we lost.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been buring my paper garbage my entire life. We dont burn plastic and we dont burn when its dry. We have a big burn pile once a year for limbs and misc wood.

Burning household pappers, and carboard is alright, the rest can be recycled or sent to the dump.

I see NO reason to send burnable papers and such to the dump. THere is enough stuff getting tossed in there as it is.

CH
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
We live in the middle of nowhere and burn our trash out back. We haul the barrles when they're full (ash, bottles, etc.) to the town dump 36 miles away to empty them.
M
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I live in N.J. if you burn anyting without a special permit the local cops,Fire Dep  E.P.A.   F.B.I   A.T.F  C.I.A. and the M-O-U-S-E will storm your ass so fast and hit you with a fine like you would not believe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I hope to have a talk with the county commisioner about this subject and the lack of a leash law for pets.  Is this a problem in other rural locations?  I have lived in several states but have never seen anything like this.

Suggestions?

HAHAHA, thats some rich shit. Maybe you can tell him about tooth brushes and contraceptives while you are educating him.....hahahahahahahahahahah. Maybe Senator Kerry will address this issue during the debates

(Need an emoticon that is laughing so hard he's crying)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgatr15

i suspect he was hoping to avoid dealing with yankee shitbags

So who shit in your grits today hr

no one, but come on bashing the south? thats just stupid.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#30]
When I lived in the country we would burn all of our trash.  I dont see what the big deal is really.  Come to think of it Im not really sure where the hell there is a landfill.... I havent seen a real landfill since I was like.. 6.. and as far as I know that one is closed now.

And, when I move back to the country (hopefully soon) I will resume burning my trash.  So, quit yer complainin.. pussy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
You're saying that everytime you go outside to your porch it smells like burnt trash?

Peeyew...That sucks!

No garbage pickup?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess barrels filled with Sterile Ashes are FAR WORSE then
ACERS and ACERS of rotting, fowl human waste and discarded rubbish that
continue to grow every day.
Its not as if they are burning mounds of tires or 50 galon barrels of excrement
At any rate they are operating within the law and I highly doubt that the law
will change because YOU dont like it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
In the county that I live in the people burn their garbage in barrels in their yards.  This disgusting habit is practiced by almost all of the people that live outside of a town and even in the small village that my home is in.  The closest garbage dump is about 12 miles away but it seems that the hillbillies only use it to empty the full barrels of stinking ash about once a month.  The smell of smoldering plastic and household garbage makes it impossible to enjoy an outdoor event or quiet evening on the front porch.  I have no idea how much pollution can be attributed to this practice but it has to be a hazard.  The rusty barrels lined up next to the road in front of house after house is mute testimony to the fact that lazy, uncouth, ignorant people live there.

Suggestions?

So, do you properly dispose of used AA and C batteries (all batteries for that matter), solvents, mercury, florescent tubes, etc etc etc etc?    You do know that those things are not supposed to be put in the landfill, right?

what problem are you having with "pets"?    I assume you are talking about dogs, but do tell.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1

Move back home.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow. Seems like I struck a nerve with a few people .  Yes there is a garbage pick up available here.  It is through a private contractor and cost about $40 per month.  I choose to haul my garbage to the dump because it's the proper thing to do and somebody in my family goes to town everyday anyway.  The city of Huntsville burns the trash in its incinerator and sells the steam.

Battery disposal? Guilty as charged.

Move back to a city huh?  I live in an unincorporated village now.  That's like a town with no PD or FD or organized government.  Houses in close proximity.

I liken this stuation to the one we are all familiar with.  The stinking, unwashed oaf at the gunshow smelling up the whole place for no other reason than his ignorance of civilized ways.

Are you that guy?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#36]
well, i don't see what you have to complain about.     You are whining about smelly smoke, which may or may not be a health hazard.

the toxic things i mentioned are a health hazard, and you admitted to one of them.     Ask how much the mercury problem was at the wtc site due to all the flourescent tubes broken.     Essentially that is happening all over the country due to inadequate dump containment liners.

toxic stuff = real hazard

burn barrels = mostly inconvinience.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
well, i don't see what you have to complain about.     You are whining about smelly smoke, which may or may not be a health hazard.

the toxic things i mentioned are a health hazard, and you admitted to one of them.     Ask how much the mercury problem was at the wtc site due to all the flourescent tubes broken.     Essentially that is happening all over the country due to inadequate dump containment liners.

toxic stuff = real hazard

burn barrels = mostly inconvinience.

Your opinion.  You have a nice day now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Great. Burn a bunch of toxic heavy metals and send them downwind to your fellow patriots. The inhalation of mercury, lead and assorted carcinogens will weaken them so that they cannot fight terrorism, Feinstein, Kennedy and Brady. Lets put as many toxic chemicals into our ecosystem as possible.

Recycling all that stuff you usually burn helps reduce our demand for raw natural resources, just like it did in WWII. The real winner of our global challenge is whoever has the cleanest environment and the most resources after everybody else has toxified their land and used up all their stuff.

Even burning newspaper spews whatever is in the ink into your downwind neighbor's air. But hey, fuck them, right?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Suggestions?

The uncivilized clods!  I suggest that you immediately invite them over for an afternoon tea at which you will impress them with your well-bred ways to such an extent that they will immediately cease their pagan trash-burning rituals, learn to bathe regularly, convert the neighborhood into a golf course, and vote for Kerry.

Y'all have a good day now, y'hear?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Great. Burn a bunch of toxic heavy metals and send them downwind to your fellow patriots. The inhalation of mercury, lead and assorted carcinogens will weaken them so that they cannot fight terrorism, Feinstein, Kennedy and Brady. Lets put as many toxic chemicals into our ecosystem as possible.

Recycling all that stuff you usually burn helps reduce our demand for raw natural resources, just like it did in WWII. The real winner of our global challenge is whoever has the cleanest environment and the most resources after everybody else has toxified their land and used up all their stuff.

Even burning newspaper spews whatever is in the ink into your downwind neighbor's air. But hey, fuck them, right?

umm, i never meant my post to be taken that the toxic heavy metals should be burned.    by all means dispose of them properly.      I was trying to point the contradiction pangea made in that he complains about smoke from burn barrels yet disposes of more serious toxins in a reckless maner.    

Newspaper ink is getting better and better all the time, both for recycling newsprint or for burning.  

i agree the best thing to do would be to eliminate as much as possible the disposable items   that we don't know what to do with after we use them ONCE.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
You will get my  burn barrel from my cold dead hands....................
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Napalm Al Qaida = Burning Garbage

Do it wherever you like.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#43]
...  Grew up in the country on a small farm in rural Arizona. We didn't have regularly scheduled sanitary pick-up services as you urbanites know it. Everyone in the country burned their trash. It minimized rodents, insect populations and fire hazards. The act was far more healthy than allowing it to rot in a pile awaiting the once-a-month trip to the dump. We didn't burn plastics or chemicals but those kinds of trash can sit without odor or harm to the environment like perishable by-products do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Move back home.

+2

I grew up in a small Ohio city and we burned, er everyone burned until the late 60's.  While there are too many people for burning everywhere now, especially in the citiies, and the environment is a serious issue, I see no problem with free citizens burning their trash on their property in BFE.

Time for you to go back to the city and stop trying to make New Yorkers out of country folk.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#45]
You keep burning trash and you'll soon see a reason not to do it. aka smog, unless you don't mind it blowing down to your neighbors place.  I'm sure they don't mind.

That said, burning "trash" isn't all that bad.  But "trash" is normally or at least used to be defined as paper and wood products.  Now that there is a lot of plastics around and those shouldn't be burned. But clean smoke is not long term environmentally unfriendly, trees need Co2  and clean smoke comes out in the rain.

Also I'm not going to argue too much about burning yard and agricultural waste IF THE CONDITIONS are right.  Just that you need to pick the right times and places.

Garbage being defined usually as kitchen waste.  Burning that is  really offensive to those down wind.  Baby diapers are not garbage.  Diapers should be washed and re-used.

Anybody that remembers Los Angeles from the 50's with the number of people then and the smog then, and the smog now compared to then with a hell of a lot more people in the basin kows why burning trash ain't a good idea for cities.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#46]
My parents live out in the sticks and have a burn barrel out behind the garage. If it's metal it goes in a pile to be picked up by the scrap metal guys about 4 times a year. If it's burnable, in it goes. Most everyone on the road does it. I haul my stuff there to burn when I go visit. My city will only pick up recyclables if you have trash out for pick up as well.

On my way to work across the PA boarder are some small villages with "community" recycling hoppers that are picked up once a month. You just drive up dump the stuff in the appropriate bin and drive away, no fee. So I haul mine there are my way to work and dump them there.

If it's something really smoky we burn it at night.

If we all look hard enough we will all find something to bitch about in our "hood" whether it's the sound of chainsaws, dirtbikes, loud POS cars/trucks, shooting, music, dogs barking etc etc. Most are very temporary and harmless. Get over it.

In my city is a major bakery for the area and everyday you can smell the wonderfull smell of bresh baked bread for 2 blocks around the place. Wouldn't ya know that there were people who COMPLAINED about it and tried to get them to install "special filters"?! When My wife and I drive by it we put out windows down just to wiff it smells so good. I guess some people would rather smell car exaust, dog crap on sidewalk, and garbage that has been set out. makes no damn sense.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#47]
My grandpa used to own 107 acres in Pennsylvania and he'd rake up all the garbage into one huge pile and cook the shit out of it with his flame thrower. I always wanted that flamethrower but when he died my uncle got it
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe some of you have the wrong idea about my situation.  The houses around here are close together.  Not as close as a suburban neighborhood but mostly 1/4 acre lots.  Houses in close proximity with smouldering barrells of plastic, pampers, food scraps, tampons, etc.  If that doesn't bother you and you condone it, fine, breath it up by all means.  The rural farm types that do this admittedly harm no one.  It's the ones that burn within 50 feet of other houses that cause a nusance.

And about the battery thing.  There is no battery disposal site known to me anywhere, but if there was I'd gladly drive there once or twice a year to dispose of my 3-8 batteries that I go through in exchange for the burning to stop.

Move back to the city?  That implies that I came here from a city and want to change a time honored tradition worthy of keeping in place for quaint nostalgia.  Is burning household garbage a tradition that warms your heart and makes you think of home?

The out door burning of lumber, scrapwood,leaves and limbs is something that everybody does.  It isn't the offensive pollutant that household garbage is.

I'll never understand the mentality that would defend the practice of burning garbage in a close community.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:22:45 AM EDT
[#49]
If the houses are within 50ft of each other, then yes I agree with you. That is to close to burn garbage IMO, without it being a nuisence.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

And about the battery thing.  There is no battery disposal site known to me anywhere, but if there was I'd gladly drive there once or twice a year to dispose of my 3-8 batteries that I go through in exchange for the burning to stop.

totally unrelated to the burning-
batteries can often be saved up for an annual "toxic waste disposal day" at your local dump, you should check to see if they have one.   Around here i think they have it twice a year.   If you remodel a house and get rid of the old style thermostat this is a good time to turn that in also, because of the large mercury content.

one other thing to do is save the batteries up and send them back to the manufacturer with a nice note-
"please dispose of these used batteries properly"

I've done that a couple times.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top