Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 2:19:45 PM EDT
I have tried to download some songs from the internet and some of them download as a playable mp3 file and some of them only download as a shortcut. Why is this?
Can I use the short cut to burn the song to a cd or do I have to have the file on my hard drive? Anyone know where to get lots of Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, Elvis on the net for free?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
you need Kazaa lite. and yes, you need the file on your computer.  What OS are you running.  if you have XP, just get windows media player and it will allow you to burn audio CDs directly from the MP3 file.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Or better yet, get a car stereo that actually plays MP3 CDs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a very large harddrive... all the files to be burned to a CD, for playing on a regular music CD player, must be WAV files.

You will need a program that converts MP3's to WAV's.  I use Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) with the LAME converter.

http://www.goldwave.com/release.html

"Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP is required for version 5. Windows 98 works, but is not officially supported. Windows NT/95 are not supported and will not work (please download v4.26 instead)."  And there is a link for the 4.26.

You can also record from LP's.  Get a cable with RCA plugs on one end, down to a 1/8" stereo plug  on the other, plugged from your line out on the stereo to the line in on your sound card.  You can record the LP.  In Goldwave, you can then process the WAV, reducing, or even eliminating pops and clicks.  Then burn to CD.  A great way to archive those old collectable LP's by esoteric artists that will never be available on CD.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or better yet, get a car stereo that actually plays MP3 CDs.
View Quote
I agree; I have 212 songs on a single CD.
You need a very large harddrive... all the files to be burned to a CD, for playing on a regular music CD player, must be WAV files.
View Quote
Most CD-burning software now burns "on the fly", converting the mp3s as they write, so there's no need for wav files.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top