Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2002 10:50:50 AM EDT
I happened to be looking thru a bunch of NIW PreBan 30rnd AR mags (Center) and
noticed 2 of them are clearly dated after 94.
What do I do? Are there any LEOs who would trade
me out? I would take used, but in good shape mags. I just need to be rid of these.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
If there was only a few out of the bunch, I would quietly stash them.

If you really feel guilty, request to return them to the seller for exchange.  If the seller doesn't cooperate, save the guts and destroy the bodies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the mag body marked or the floor plate?  My understanding is, all law enforcement mags are supposed to have the works Law Enforcement on them.  So if it's just a date on the floor plate and not stamped on the mag, you are probably ok.  Although I would change the floorplate to avoid any possible problems.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
... Keep 'em. Hopefully, some day they will be collectors items.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the mag body marked or the floor plate?  My understanding is, all law enforcement mags are supposed to have the works Law Enforcement on them.  So if it's just a date on the floor plate and not stamped on the mag, you are probably ok.  Although I would change the floorplate to avoid any possible problems.
View Quote

They are marked on the wrapper and date stamped into the mag body.
If it were just the floor plate, I'd just get new ones from a rebuild kit or DPMS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Basically, I would just like to be rid of them. I don't want any hassle.
I just don't want to trash'em and lose out either.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez! Just keep the damned things. You wil either get to use them when pre/post ban won't matter or after 9/2004 whichever comes first.

Or you could make the tactical lightening cut modifications to them.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a bunch of 30 round mags from a army surplus a while back and many of them turned out to be LEO mags, clearly marked, but I didn't notice at the time.  They were only $12 a piece.  I shoot at a Sheriffs training facility so I took them and asked them if they would trade me some mags.  They really could care less about the marking and didn't really understand why I wanted to get rid of them despite me telling them they were LEO only.  They traded me some new Colt 20rd mags for them.  If you know some friendly LEO's try asking them.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep em.  Face it, if the man wants to take you down it doesnt matter if you have illegal stuff or not. [:)]  I too would try to find someone to trade with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have heard that you can use these for replacement parts if you have some real old crappy pre-bans.  Or you can purchase some real beat up ones and save them as proof of the magazines which were replaced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]

...use these for replacement parts if you have some real old crappy pre-bans.  Or you can purchase some real beat up ones and..
View Quote

No.

And most Centers [b]aren't[/b] "LEO" marked.
But nobody really cares, the date is just a good "add-on" for more serious [strike]felonies[/strike] screw-ups.
OO, I'd do what Imbroglio said. If it really worries you, trash the bodies and use/sell the springs followers & plates.
[i](Not a tin foil thing, but I'd also delete this thread, it's just not a good idea)[/i]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a hold of the seller and see if he will swap out with you. If you can't do that and are truly concerned about them I'll trade you good used USGI for them. I'm not concerned about the date. And yes I am LEO. Send me an e-mail if you want to swap out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or you could make the tactical lightening cut modifications to them.

View Quote

oh, hell, THAT'S funny!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
How about making a nice drainage hole in the mag?

think about it...
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Your best bet would have been to remain silent and use them only in secure situations.

"Don't ask, don't tell" is applicable in many different scenarios.

Now.......ya done gone and told everybody haven't ya?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#16]
As a concerned citizen, I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate your mags.  Please ship them to me as soon as possible.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I was just talking to a friend who is a LEO, he authorized me to confiscate them and turn them in to him. Please send them ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was just talking to a friend who is a LEO, he authorized me to confiscate them and turn them in to him. Please send them ASAP.
View Quote

Come and get'em, but wear a vest! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I really wish I had checked them all when I got them.
This auction was last year, all I did was count'em and stick them in an ammo can.
I don't know if I can even get in touch with the guy anymore, I can't even remember if it was on Ebay or Gun Broker.....

I am in a better mood tho! I just picked up a new Toy!!

I got a 1990 Sig Sauer P226 w/1 15rnd Sig mag for $399! It's in great shape, not much outer wear, just scuffy grips that
I'm going to replace w/a new Hogue set. I dig it!

[img]http://home.attbi.com/~s0ulzer0/pixx/SigP226.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
aahhhh, beat up grips=police trade in=probobly only shot twice a year for quals(unless it was mine)=good buy!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
aahhhh, beat up grips=police trade in=probobly only shot twice a year for quals(unless it was mine)=good buy!
View Quote

Heh...  I'll wait for s0ulzer0 to divulge it's history...  [;)]

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

According to the guy at the shop, it was a secured weapon off of some Dirtbag criminal that
was put down in a bust.
He said they get a lot of Government secured weapons, they all get tagged with a history,
like "used in suicide" and the like.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
You might want to check with the guys in the Legal Forum.  

It seems to me that ATF recently put out an opinion to the effect that the date by itself meant nothing and that post-ban LEO/military only mags had to be clearly marked as such to be illegal.

Granted, these could still cause you a bit of aggravation and state laws could be different.  Also, ATF could later change its mind.

If you still interested in getting rid of them, please send me an e-mail.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You might want to check with the guys in the Legal Forum.  

It seems to me that ATF recently put out an opinion to the effect that the date by itself meant nothing and that post-ban LEO/military only mags had to be clearly marked as such to be illegal.

Granted, these could still cause you a bit of aggravation and state laws could be different.  Also, ATF could later change its mind.

If you still interested in getting rid of them, please send me an e-mail.
View Quote

Thanks for the info and offer. I'd just feel better to off them.
I've got a swap in the works w/a LEO in Louisiana, if he decides he doesn't want them, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#25]
"Come and get'em, but wear a vest! [:D]"

Now here I was going to be nice and help keep you out of trouble, and you go and say something like that. Last time I try to help someone out. [beer]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#26]
S0ulzer0:  Good enough.  Glad you’ve got it resolved.

For what it’s worth, this thread discusses the ATF letter:
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=85648[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Come and get'em, but wear a vest! [:D]"

Now here I was going to be nice and help keep you out of trouble, and you go and say something like that. Last time I try to help someone out. [beer]
View Quote

Aw, c'mon now eagle, I'm just fun'in! [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top