Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2014 7:46:59 PM EDT
Was getting stuff ready for a fishing trip Friday.  My son left a fly hanging loose on a rig and somehow it all too close to a finger.  When I pulled my hand away from something I had reached for this #10 sized hook caught my finger and buried deep.  Sorry, no pics.  I was too busy manning-up to get the hook out as I was not going to the ER.  Took about 3 minutes of manning-up, and a pair of vice grips, but I did get it out.  Made it bleed some, then doused it with hydrogen peroxide followed by antibiotic ointment and a small bandage - then went fishing.

Almost cannot tell where the puncture occurred.  No redness or swelling two days later.  Is tetanus a concern here?  Am I too late and will simply not wake up one morning?

Yes, I have 22 ammo if someone is going to call dibs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Dibs on 22 ammo...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Will not buff out...
Dibs on guns and any ammo left...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics of wife?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was getting stuff ready for a fishing trip Friday.  My son left a fly hanging loose on a rig and somehow it all too close to a finger.  When I pulled my hand away from something I had reached for this #10 sized hook caught my finger and buried deep.  Sorry, no pics.  I was too busy manning-up to get the hook out as I was not going to the ER.  Took about 3 minutes of manning-up, and a pair of vice grips, but I did get it out.  Made it bleed some, then doused it with hydrogen peroxide followed by antibiotic ointment and a small bandage - then went fishing.

Almost cannot tell where the puncture occurred.  No redness or swelling two days later.  Is tetanus a concern here?  Am I too late and will simply not wake up one morning?

Yes, I have 22 ammo if someone is going to call dibs.
View Quote

Yes, tetanus is a concern.

When was your last tetanus shot?

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you got your wake playlist set yet?  Better get on it..
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, I've buried big 8 and 10/0 hooks in the meaty part of my hand a number if times.  

Just push the point through, cut the hook with wire cutters.  You may have to cut the skin to get the hook through.  

Once you're done, wash with hot water and soap and then put some neosporin in and on it.  

I've done this on the beach...had about 6' of pissed off shark fling a hook that stuck in my hand...got it out and then jammed some anti bacterial gel in it and kept fishing.  FYI...that stuff burns worse than pushing the hook through.

The real fun is when you get a treble hook on a top water lure stuck in you, and the back end of that lure is still hooked to the fish.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've hooked myself / been hooked by others too many times to count. Just make sure that your tetanus vaccination is up to date.

If not, dibs on your gizzzards.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Do not know status of last tetanus shot.  Guess I should call doc.

Maybe it was a small hook, but the way it happened, I did not simply bury the point.  I had a hold of the fly with a pair of vice grips trying to turn the hook point up and back out to the outside.  Could not see the point.  And besides, it was my finger.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
went fishing with my grandfather when I was a kid, he had cataracts and couldn't see very well. He cast one time and hooked me in the mouth, couldn't pull it out because of the barb so we pushed all the way through and went back to fishing. I think I was about 8 at the time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, I've buried big 8 and 10/0 hooks in the meaty part of my hand a number if times.  

Just push the point through, cut the hook with wire cutters.  You may have to cut the skin to get the hook through.  

Once you're done, wash with hot water and soap and then put some neosporin in and on it.  

I've done this on the beach...had about 6' of pissed off shark fling a hook that stuck in my hand...got it out and then jammed some anti bacterial gel in it and kept fishing.  FYI...that stuff burns worse than pushing the hook through.

The real fun is when you get a treble hook on a top water lure stuck in you, and the back end of that lure is still hooked to the fish.

View Quote

Oh, hey, that invite to go fishing with you next weekend? Yeah, uhm... Something came up. Im not gonna be able to make it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Cut my finger down to the white meat putting a Remington 1100 back together last week, it was a gusher.   Little peroxide, Neosporin, and bandaging...back in business.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#13]
At least the hook wasn't caught in yer dick.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to about 3:15 or so in this video.    How To Remove a Fish Hook Pt 1, Hook in Arm - Cro…: http://youtu.be/fOoardRmtSU

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
#10 fly that hadn't hit the water yet? Meh…

If you want to get some experience in pulling hooks take up Spey casting. So far I have had spey flies up to 2/0 embedded in the following locations:

Jaw, buried into the bone, extracted with SOG tool.
Back of the eye socket. Yes, the hook went in just above my eye and buried in the bone at the top of the eye socket. 3rd cast of the morning, 5:30 am, salmon passing close in to me. My fishing partners said I needed to go to the hospital. When we clipped the tippet I could open my eye and see through the blood. They wouldn't touch it so I went to the truck and used some pliers to pull it out. Amazing how far your eyelids stretch while trying to pull a barbed 2/0 hook out.
Arm. A client buried a 2/0 to the shank. I had him sit in the boat and I pushed it through and clipped off the point. Put a bandaid on it and went back to fishing.
Butt. 8/0 to the butt, pull, ouch.
Finger. Too many to mention except the one that pulled a long white stringy thing out when I yanked it out. That one hurt.

Fish on...
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Do seriously consider getting a tetanus booster. Otherwise, keep it clean and dry and watch for infection.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Unless you have mice and sorts of other critters in your tackle box, I wouldn't worry too much about tetanus.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh, hey, that invite to go fishing with you next weekend? Yeah, uhm... Something came up. Im not gonna be able to make it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol...things happen.  FYI...if you're not wearing eye pro while fishing...you're a fool.  I had a big redfish smack a top water lure in the surf..li let it run and then set the hook...HARD...how it did not hook that fish is a mystery, but I had a 4" long plastic projectile with 2 big treble hooks flying at me...it didn't hit me, but it sure came close.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I read the title to start as..... "I buried a hooker......."
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I learned of this in a safety class

While fishing I caught a #12 fly hook in the arm so I had a friend remove it with this method.

It does work and is relatively painless.

You can do a search on the webz and see that it's a verified technique

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is what you will look like after all your muscles lock up from the tetanus.

You might break your own back from the stress.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I learned of this in a safety class
While fishing I caught a #12 fly hook in the arm so I had a friend remove it with this method.
It does work and is relatively painless.
You can do a search on the webz and see that it's a verified technique

http://youtu.be/5WjP1FjLvmY

View Quote

Looks good, but no thanks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you catch any fish?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Just keep an eye on it, you will know if it's infected trust me. A tetanus is not a bad idea if you are not caught up on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh, I buried my right thumb into my table saw blade a week ago today. (Yes I got a tetanus shot along with stitches).

Man up OP.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Next time use a length of thick mono and yank it back out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Pics or it didn't happen.

And dibs on your fishing tackle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]
So, I called doc's office and asked about the tetanus thing.  Said my records showed nothing in the way of a tetanus shot since being with this doc - that would be 13 years.  They told me to come in, so I did and they juiced me up.

As far as the fish goes . . . put 21 crappie in the freezer that day.  Went back 2 days later and got 28 more.  I haven't crappie fished in any serious way for several years - been a basser for the most part.  But you can't hardly beat crappie for table fare or the fun if you get on them.  Never had much luck with crappie and artificial baits.  Since there's no bait shop near by, I became a bass fisherman.  Found an artificial bait them crappies like now, so I am taking advantage of it and putting some fillets in the freezer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Here is what you will look like after all your muscles lock up from the tetanus.

You might break your own back from the stress.

View Quote
Hey. The guy in the picture. That was me inside my truck on Friday after throwing up in the truck. My back muscles were spasing out and I was stuck in the truck for about ten minutes.

I dont think I could go through that again. Doctor said it could have been caused by dehydration.

eta

At least I had my cloths on.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
At least the hook wasn't caught in yer dick.
View Quote

Hmm....Found a tick on muh dick last year.

Ill take the hook in the hand any day comparatively.....promise
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My son left a fly hanging loose on a rig and somehow it all too close to a finger.
View Quote

You went fly-fishing and didn't use barb-less hooks?  Shame on you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Here for the location of the buried hookers...
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
As usual, whisky is the answer.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#35]
This guy shows you how to remove hooks by hooking himself.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#36]
A friend and I went out for catfish and he decided to haul back on his rod and cast waaay out there.  I was standing behind him and the hook caught me in the back of my neck.  With a live goldfish on it.  I let out a yell that he took for me just having a good time and he yanked hard on it thinking he had caught the hook in some brush. This time I let out a scream because now the hook was set deeper in my neck.  With a live goldfish on it. He realized what had happened and pushed the hook through, clipped it, and pulled it back out. Luckily I had  already drank a few cans of "anesthetic" and had a cooler filled with more so it didn't turn out that bad. It bled pretty good and some Neosporin  and a bandaid when I got home and I was good to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#37]
 I got a 2/0 big eye Clouser minnow stuck in the back of my neck once from some doofus who couldn't understand how to tighten up his loop.  That shit hurt.  A lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top