Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 6:58:55 PM EDT
Well, after 35 years of never having a problem with my eyes, I got my first pair of real glasses today.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I must say, it sure is nice reading text that is clear. but the feeling of being really close to the ground when walking will not be missed.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well, after 35 years of never having a problem with my eyes, I got my first pair of real glasses today.

I must say, it sure is nice reading text that is clear. but the feeling of being really close to the ground when walking will not be missed.

yup....Waaaaaaaaa. Wait till you need trifocals! Ya pup!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be 41 in December and I've noticed a decline in my eyesight over the past year, especially small print.  I figure glasses are in my near future as well...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If you got the antireflective coating, be glad.

I didn't, and I can't stand to wear my glasses because practically all I see is my own eyes.

I guess it's good I've got a really minor prescription.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you got the antireflective coating, be glad.

I didn't, and I can't stand to wear my glasses because practically all I see is my own eyes.

I guess it's good I've got a really minor prescription.

yeah I went all out.
got the flexons, with the transitions and anti glare lenses.

I noticed my own eyes when I was trying them on to see what frames I liked and I asked why I saw that.

I'm glad to have noticed at this point. as long as I don't smash em or worse getting used to them.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Needed glasses at 40.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup....Waaaaaaaaa. Wait till you need trifocals! Ya pup!

D'oh!!!  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
first pair of glasses?  **** you. (5th grade )
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
You're lucky, I had to wear glasses since I was 16, I'm not 55.  Wait until you need bi and trifocals, you will see the world in a whole new light.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'll be 41 in December and I've noticed a decline in my eyesight over the past year, especially small print.  I figure glasses are in my near future as well...

Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
<----- Glasses since 7, bifocals at 13. Worn contacts since I was 25.

No sympathy from me, but plenty of empathy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I know what ya mean, my vision was perfect until  I was 31, then it took a crap in only a few months.  I thought I was gonna make it, of course I thought I was gonna make it with my hair too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Now you can look smart like the rest of us

born cross eyed
surgery at 1
Eye patch at 7 (arrrrgh I'm a pirate)
Glasses at 9
Leveled off then stronger glasses when I started shooting rifles competitively in high school
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I knew I needed glasses when I was 12...I was in a bowling league and all the pins looked like one big mass of whiteness

I'm 40 now and I just found some contacts that I can wear night and day for a month at a time...very nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm 35 now.  Two years ago I was 20/400.  To read a book, it had to be 2-3" from my face to make it legible without corrective lenses.  I really did consider myself legally blind, as without glasses or contacts, I was screwed.    At the pathetic state of 20/400, if I were walking down a sideawalk and a good friend passed by, I would not recognize them.  It was that bad.

THEN, I elected for lasik surgery.  I am now 20/10 with both eyes open and no detectable side effects.  My best corrected vision with lenses prior to surgery was 20/20.

I see everything now.

It was the best $2000 I ever spent.  I really doubt I will ever get that much bang for the buck ever again.

The procedure itself was creepy as hell.  You will smell your burning eye, and it smells like burnt hair.

If your poor eyesight gets to be a true burden as mine was for so many years, since I was 14, consider surgery.

I was in a utter state of amazement for so long, and I still am when I think about it every so often.  You would be too if your vision was/is as bad as mine was.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
omg you got presbyopia, it's chronic you know
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember when my dad first got them.  It is a sad day when you realize someone you think is so stern, strong, and tough could never have such a thing happen to him but it does.  I was 12 at the time.

What's even more freightening is when you start to do a chore with him and you have to do the part that requires the most muscle because you are stronger than him now.  That happen with me when I was around 20 and helped him move.  It was the first time he ever took the light end of anything.  If I was a pussy I could have cried.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#17]
NERD
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm hoping it doesn't affect my sight picture when I shoot.

won't know til I get there though.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
NERD

[milhouse] My Glasses [milhouse]

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NERD

NERRRRRRRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

that feeling will go away in time. The really worst part about having glasses is the amount of dust and various stuff that seems to be drawn to the lenses like a magnet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What's even more freightening is when you start to do a chore with him and you have to do the part that requires the most muscle because you are stronger than him now.  That happen with me when I was around 20 and helped him move.  It was the first time he ever took the light end of anything.  If I was a pussy I could have cried.

+1
For a while I thought I was the only one that got bummed over this.  I practically idolized my grandfather growing up, and when I got to be a teenager (and he to be about 70) we were getting up hay or throwing bales of hay around and I noticed it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NERD

or Piggy from Lord of the Flies

think of it as a SHTF fire starting device
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
NERD

or Piggy from Lord of the Flies

think of it as a SHTF fire starting device

Not sure the transitions wouldn't screw that up LOL
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#25]
How do you guys with bifocals, focus in on rifle sights?  When I sight down my 10/22 both sights are blurry because I'm looking out the top half of a bifocal lense.  It's easier with my .45.  All I have to do is tilt my head back a little and the sights come into focus....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad has worn glasses since he was 9 or 10. His first pair of glasses were messed up, they had switched the lenses so his right eye got the lense that was supposed to go to the left, etc. Dad told me he got into so much trouble because he didnt wear them; he couldnt see aynthing with them on. His parents and teachers didnt believe him for about a month, until the doctors office had found they made a mistake.

As for me I got my mom's eyesight and can see very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top