Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/6/2002 1:39:38 PM EDT
Man, I don't know what it is about this chase scene. I love it! No high tech, computer generated special effects. Just plain, old fashioned American power. On right now on AMC.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:04:24 PM EDT
Ditto that scene- I thought it's considered one of the best car chases ever filmed. The scenes driving down the SanFransisco streets at high speed are pure b*lls because there weren't any computers back then to fake it. And what I'd give for either one of those cars in my garage today...
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:06:38 PM EDT
I bought the little 1/18 scale metal body cars from Bullitt and that's about the closest I think I can afford. The movie rocks and those of us in the special FX and TV production biz it is one of the "crown jewels" of movie stunts.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:15:36 PM EDT
Yeah, I think the Bullitt chase scene is my favorite too. Other good ones are the scenes in The Seven Ups and The French Connection.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:48:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2002 2:51:07 PM EDT by ArmdLbrl]
Didn't the same crew do the chase scenes in both the French Connection and Bullitt? (less McQueen who did his own driving)
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:54:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Crookshanks: Yeah, I think the Bullitt chase scene is my favorite too. Other good ones are the scenes in The Seven Ups and The French Connection.
View Quote
Yes, and Ronin also.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2002 3:03:04 PM EDT by Stepped-init]
I have to second Ronin. The best car chase scenes ( that's plural ) on film, and with no computer generated crap. By the way, the director of Ronin ( and the Manchurian Candidate among other great films ) John Frankenhiemer died today. Stepped-init
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:09:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:12:35 PM EDT
"Ronin", yeah, I forgot about that! "Seven Ups" and "The French Connection". Excellent chase scenes! Anyone remember "Vanishing Point"? Or how about "Two Lane Blacktop"? ( Not a car chase but all about early 1970's street racers). And has anyone seen "Rendezvous"? It's a short film, about ten minutes long IIRC. Someone strapped a camera to the front bumper of his Ferrari(?) and drove across Paris at top speed. Outstanding! Very hard to find. I haven't seen it in about 15 years.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:19:29 PM EDT
Osprey 21, And after they were done with the filming, McQueen drove it home... He bought it from the production company after the shoot was finished, and he raced it in a few West Coast SCCA events in A Sedan. When he died he still had that car in storage. I THINK Reggie Jackson owns it now...
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:20:34 PM EDT
Steve McQueen was a big time car nut. Rumor was, that both the Charger and the Mustang came from his collection because he knew how they'd perform.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:39:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DonR: Steve McQueen was a big time car nut. Rumor was, that both the Charger and the Mustang came from his collection because he knew how they'd perform.
View Quote
It was a interesting comparison, the current Dodge Grand National (Winston Cup) car versus a up engined version of the reigning Trans Am champion. The Mustang had the advantage, but the Charger was capable enough on road courses of making it a good effort. Besides, in black the 68 Charger even LOOKS evil!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:16:19 PM EDT
ArmdLbrl: "The Mustang had the advantage, but the Charger was capable enough on road courses of making it a good effort. Besides, in black the 68 Charger even LOOKS evil! " From what I've read/seen (behind the scenes/'making of') the Mustang was tweaked & souped up while the Charger was basically showroom stock.....& afterwards the Mustang was fairly thrashed, the Charger less so.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:19:12 PM EDT
"The Italian Job" chase wasn't half bad either.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:58:59 PM EDT
Green_Furniture: ' "The Italian Job" chase wasn't half bad either. ' Is that the one with Micheal Caine involving a robbery & a herd of Mini's thru Rome? I've never seen the whole thing but the Mini Cooper chase is sweet. Blues Brother's is another favorite chase movie-both the first one thru the mall & the last one all over Chicago.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:11:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RiffRandall: ArmdLbrl: "The Mustang had the advantage, but the Charger was capable enough on road courses of making it a good effort. Besides, in black the 68 Charger even LOOKS evil! " From what I've read/seen (behind the scenes/'making of') the Mustang was tweaked & souped up while the Charger was basically showroom stock.....& afterwards the Mustang was fairly thrashed, the Charger less so.
View Quote
Yeah, I read an interview with McQueen right after the movie came out(MotorTrend?)with him saying how the Mustang was literally shedding parts on those jumps.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:19:55 PM EDT
I'm surprised nobody remembers the chase scene in the movie "short time" with Dabney Coleman. Where as he thinks hes going to die and tries to die in the line of duty so his life insurance will pay off. It has a great car chase in it[:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:28:25 PM EDT
What was the movie from the same era, with John Wayne driving down the beach then shooting it out with a Mac-10/11 at the end? Not that it was a great car chase, but it's neat to see a Mac making an appearance back then...
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:39:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ED_P: What was the movie from the same era, with John Wayne driving down the beach then shooting it out with a Mac-10/11 at the end? Not that it was a great car chase, but it's neat to see a Mac making an appearance back then...
View Quote
McQ. It was filmed in Seattle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:56:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Green_Furniture: "The Italian Job" chase wasn't half bad either.
View Quote
That was great, the Minis driving through sewer pipes, up and down stairs, etc. It made me ill when they dumped the Minis out the back of the van over the cliffs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:01:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Originally Posted By ED_P: What was the movie from the same era, with John Wayne driving down the beach then shooting it out with a Mac-10/11 at the end? Not that it was a great car chase, but it's neat to see a Mac making an appearance back then...
View Quote
McQ. It was filmed in Seattle.
View Quote
AND SEATTLE IS JUST A COUPLE OF MINUTES AWAY FROM THE OCEAN... at least, that's how it looked in the movie! McQ was driving a 455SD Trans Am in that one. A '73, I think. Whatta car.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:06:17 PM EDT
One of my all time favorites. Two complaints. 1. One minute they are at the Wharf, one second later they are on Bay near Marina Green. They pass the Marina Green twice, end up taking the on ramp to the GG Bridge heading towards Marin, another second later they are in the Presidio, and then on what appears to be Skyline Blvd. on the Peninsula. Man, talk about continuity problems! They're jumping 5-30 miles between shots. 2. This is the most obvious. Anyone notice that the Charger and the Mustang pass that same green VW Bug FOUR times in a row. I mean, I can understand it if they passed that same Bug twice, but FOUR times? Geez! Still a great chase.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:13:58 PM EDT
I can't watch the chase scene on a big screen anymore: I start feeling a bit green when I do. [:X*] Jay [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:15:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BusMaster007: AND SEATTLE IS JUST A COUPLE OF MINUTES AWAY FROM THE OCEAN... at least, that's how it looked in the movie!
View Quote
Seattle sits right on the waterfront of Puget Sound. The beach chase scene was filmed at Alki Beach, which is just minutes from downtown Seattle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:16:07 PM EDT
Re Bullit: How many hubcaps did they lose? [:)]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:37:17 PM EDT
Biggest complaint: Some parts of the chase had the film sped up. Looked a bit cheesy. 100 mph hard right hand 90 degree turns didn't quite look right.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:41:22 PM EDT
Boomer: That was Alki?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:20:24 PM EDT
The absolute best speed sequences from that time period were done a couple years later by Steve McQueen's Solar Productions film "Le Mans". The real drivers in mostly the real cars on the real track.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:23:25 PM EDT
BusMaster, I'm having trouble finding any verification of that online, but this is what I was told years ago. I'd also swear that in the end of the movie, the little beach shack in the background says something about Alki Beach. [img]http://www.sd455.com/moviemcq.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.sd455.com/moviemcq2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.sd455.com/moviemcq3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:35:54 PM EDT
That bridge is the 12th Ave. overpass to Beacon Hill. Then they go screamin' off to the water. Wrong way, Feldman! I couldn't remember the name of the beach shack, either. That's what I was trying to remember. Plus, the beach looked awfully long for Alki, and that driftwood is HUGE... Now, I gotta rent the movie! Cool.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:44:58 PM EDT
Well, after a little more online digging, turns out it WASN'T filmed at Alki Beach. [url=http://www.oceanshoresguide.com/history/history.htm#people]Ocean Shores History[/url]
1973 "McQ," a John Wayne movie, with a 75-member crew of Batjac Productions which was stationed in Ocean Shores motels for 28 days, beginning July 2 with producer Michael Wayne. The leading lady was Coleen Dewherst, and other stars - Diana Muldaur and Eddie Albert. While casting on the north beaches, many Ocean Shores residents were included in the filming. Bobby Widmer, Ocean Shores fireman, was the ambulance driver. "JOHN WAVE" was designated to be hereafter the big seventh ocean wave, in dedication to "Big John" Wayne and his crew.
View Quote
Guess it was filmed on the beach at Ocean Shores, which, conveniently, happens to be a public road. [:)]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:57:47 PM EDT
lemans has an actual crash that killed the driver in the film too, car hit aramco barrier at 200+ and grenaded
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2002 8:56:25 PM EDT by USNJoe]
The Blues Brothers had some mean car chases in it. Don't forget about Mad Max and The Road Warrior. [img]http://www.vaq34.com/junk/blues1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.vaq34.com/junk/blues2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:25:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:28:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DVDTracker: [url]http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0062765[/url]
View Quote
This is a good link. McQueen did not do most of his own driving. He wasn't up to the task. One of the most spectacular shots is McQueen over-shooting a turn and doing a great smokey burnout in reverse. This was an accident, but looked really cool so it was left in the film. He also did not ever own the Mustang in the movie. All the scenes are shot in real time at actual speed. The reason the VW is shown so often is due to bad editing. If you watch the scene enough you'll notice that you see the VW first getting passed out the charger's window and then getting passed out the mustang's window. It's the same scene from different viewpoints. Later when the VW gets passed again it is just a screw-up due to not having enough "traffic" cars. The loss of all the hubcaps was just a goof by the director which he highly regretted after the movie was released. Another major editing mistake was the mustang shifting gears seven times on the freeway towards the end of the scene.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:53:28 PM EDT
Great information on a movie I must have seen 50 times!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:14:08 PM EDT
McQueen planned on doing the driving himself, but some of the stunts were too difficult for his skills. A stunt driver was behind the wheel for most of the chase scenes. Not only the "high speed Beetle" and hubcap mistakes were made, but look at the driver's wrist (supposedly McQueen's) and observe the wrist watch appearing and disappearing. Great chase scene, but I believe that "Vanishing Point" is equally good.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:41:51 PM EDT
[url]http://people.freenet.de/pony/bullitf.htm[/url] Read all about the chase scene. The Charger was a 440 and left the Mustang in the dust. McQueen did some of the driving, and owned none of the cars. 2 Mustangs were used...different models.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:59:00 PM EDT
A Pontiac keeps appearing every few scenes in the Bullitt chase scene, too. This guy really gets around!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:18:33 PM EDT
If memory serves they used three "traffic" cars in town. The green VW, a white '68 Firebird, and a Cadillac. All three appear and reappear.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:22:47 PM EDT
McQueen did not ride the motorcycle for the jump in The Great Escape either.
Originally Posted By SF: McQueen planned on doing the driving himself, but some of the stunts were too difficult for his skills.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:24:23 PM EDT
James Garner in "Grand Prix". Two months before the filming of "Grand Prix" began, Garner was hooked up with Bondurant, still competing in F1 and sports cars at the time, and given a quick course in race car driving at the Willow Springs road course located in the southern California desert. Later, he completed a week-long course at the Jim Russell driving school but was way ahead of the other students because of prior instructions under Bondurant. Then it was off to Europe to commence filming. First it was at Monte Carlo, then to Spa in Belgium, to England and Brands Hatch, back to Belgium, then to France and, finally, to Italy. "So by the point I got there, I could drive a little bit, but, you know, I was a little nervous," Garner said. "I was driving these cars on great circuits with great drivers, and so I was a little apprehensive. But by the time we got through, I felt very comfortable with all the drivers. And they did with me, I think. They gave a lot of respect, and I appreciated that." Garner lost 20 pounds for his Grand Prix performance so he could fit into the car. His height was a problem, too. His head extended above the roll bar and necessitated removal of the seat. "I was sitting on a cloth or something, right on the gas tank," he said. Garner's most exciting scene in the movie was one at Brands Hatch where his car exploded in flames as he crossed the finish line. It was Garner who did the scene, not a stunt man, and afterward Lloyd's of London canceled his insurance for the final two months of filming.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:25:02 PM EDT
Actually, Lloyd's threatened to cancel the policy earlier when one of its agents caught Garner driving overly fast in the rain at Spa. Garner, later star of the popular TV detective series "The Rockford Files," volunteered to do the fire scene when it became a rush job because the helicopter had to be back in France the next day. The car was rigged with a smoke bomb and two butane tanks. Each tank was rigged with a hook and pull rope that Garner had to tug at the appropriate time to initiate the flames. He released the smoke bomb as he entered the final turn and opened the butane tanks as he raced at about 100 mph toward the finish line. "I started shutting everything down," Garner said. "By the time I got stopped, I had set those butane tanks off, and what happened was that everything that was in the line gushed out and made that huge fireball. "We didn't know what happened. I got out of that thing (car) in a hurry, because it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I bruised the inside of both of my thighs down to my ankles on that steering wheel getting out of there." He chuckled at the recollection and added, "It really got hot in a hurry." No one was seriously hurt during the filming, but F1 veteran Jo Siffert did stage an unplanned crash at Brands Hatch. "We thought for sure he did himself in, but he just got out and said no," Garner said. The story of the crash has a funny twist. It seems actor Montand didn't adapt to racing speeds as well as Garner and was always saying, "We're going too fast," so everybody slowed down when he was involved. Scenes were filmed through three or four turns at one time, the cars stopped, and then all of the drivers, including Garner, would race pell-mell back to the starting point. Siffert crashed in one of these reverse dashes trying to beat the others back. "He hit some signs, knocked off three wheels and whatever, and when I got up to him I said, `What happened?'" Garner said. "He said, `It was too fast for me.'"
Top Top