Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 9:28:06 PM EDT
stops 7.62x54 *x39 *x51 etc etc etc.

what's the big deal about not being able to own one of these? i keep seeing everywhere I look "sorry military and LE only" wtf....... since when were these illegal?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Its probably the fact that the manufacturers dont want to be held liable for the next armored pyscho that decides to take over a bank, ala the Hollywood shootout type scenerio
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Will it stop a 12.7 x 99mm?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
angry haha. 50 cal? a 50 cal anti-vest would be about 20 lbs, not to mention if the bullet didnt get you the shockwave probably would. so either say hello to a big hole or watch a shockwave traumatize your liver. have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I already did this post, dupe lmao just giving you a hard time
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I actually need one of these and need to know where to find one. You see I work for an elite security taskforce in a high volume retail enviorment.

I always figured you were a mall ninja
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I actually need one of these and need to know where to find one. You see I work for an elite security taskforce in a high volume retail enviorment.

Does you hostile engagement plan call for you taking several .308 rounds to the back while covering your partner?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Now you know!

Jokes aside, the earlier thread had me making panicked phone calls to a prospective employer, I am expecting a job offer for a position in Iraq within the next few days, and it occured to me that body armor might not be a bad idea, then saw that nobody would sell them to civilians. The good news is that my prospective employer has already taken care of that issue and buys top of the line armor for thier employees, and has arangements made for purchasing firearms that have features not available in the US.

Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Take Care if you go P38.

Since when was Body Armor Illegal to own?  I'm sure this has been hashed over once or twice but I don't recall it being illegal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Take Care if you go P38.

Since when was Body Armor Illegal to own?  I'm sure this has been hashed over once or twice but I don't recall it being illegal.

it's illegal in some states and for felons
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does you hostile engagement plan call for you taking several .308 rounds to the back while covering your partner?

everytime i see theses references they make me giggle...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
and has arangements made for purchasing firearms that have features not available in the US.

Exactly how many thrusts per squeeze is that?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Are you worried about multiple shots to the back as you make a tactical withdrawal?

Edited to add: "Damn, you guys beat me to the punch!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#17]
that vest will stop up to a 9mm from a subgun. It will not stop a rifle round. Only the plates will do that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
that vest will stop up to a 9mm from a subgun. It will not stop a rifle round. Only the plates will do that.

The above is for Type III-A ... 9mm and .44 Magnum, plus protection from all Type I, II-A, and II threats.

The title of this thread says NIJ level III which is as follows (from the US Department of Justice website);

Type III (Rifles). This armor protects against 7.62mm full metal jacketed
(FMJ) bullets (U.S. military designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.6
g (148 gr), impacting at a minimum velocity of 838 m/s (2750 ft/s) or less.
It also provides protection against Type I through III-A threats.

It should be noted that Type III armor is NOT a concealable vest like III-A.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks, I will do my best. I don't really want to go, I am not of the mind to help win any hearts or minds, but I need the money and they are paying very well. I will be working with the USMC and Airfirce primarily and will not have to leave base at all if I choose not to. I hate to take the position but like I said I am tired of worrying about a car being repossesed every time I hear a truck go down the road. It seems that I have very valuable skills but Iraq is the only place they are in demand right now.

what kind of military background is needed?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#20]
doesn't lightfighter sell to civs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I think theoretically IIIA is supposed to stop 7.62 russian, but its soft armor so the energy transfer would prob cause just as much damage, hence the reason it's usually not listed as stopping rifle round unless it has plates

they aren't illegal except in maybe california,  most companies just give priority to their largest customer,  the US government
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
your getting a rifle at Army prices...should be about 20k I would guess...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Not illegal in CA.  A law was proposed but didn't get anywhere.

6. LAWS FOR PURCHASE :

We know of no state law pertaining to     the puchase and /or use of body armor. Please check your local laws priori to puchase.

www.securityplanet.com/armor-info.htm

Lest we be guilty of the same mis-information technique of the liberales it should be noted that Sen. Feinsteins legislation regarding vests would have made enhancement to sentencing on CRIMINALS that used armor in commission of a crime.  It will take some time before they deduce that if you WANT an armor vest you are likely a criminal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top