Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2002 10:55:48 AM EDT
I wasn't there so I didn't get to see what the stuff was capable of, heard something about a flying fire extinguisher though in another thread.

What I want to know, who took it to the event and how much "fun" have they had with it in the past.   Have you tried downsizing the stuff, say from a 1/2 pound bottle to smaller quanities devided up among something like a 35mm film canister?

Of the people who were there and saw the stuff in action, how would you rate it?

Looks gosh darned expensive as heck but potentially really fun.   Would like to hear experiences, opinions, and recomendations for if somebody who's interested in the stuff.   Is it a strong fire hazzard, minimum safe distance, all that sort of thing.

And if it's barred from having it shipped to Ca. or not.

It's just so hard to resist from what it sounds like
[url]http://www.tannerite.com/she_exploding_targets.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
OH YEA BABY!!!

The stuff is AWESOME! A friend of mine got some. We went out to the desert to try it out. It was the most fun we have had in YEARS!

We used the recommended amounts, it looks like a 1/2 stick of dynomite going off.

The first one was just by itself, just to get a feel of what it was capable. Just to cool.

Second one, we put in a gallon jug of water. WOOOO BABY!!! Have to say that it was one lucky shot to get it go off. But way awesome! Had a water spray of over 100 feet. Vaporized the jug. We did find some pieces of the container for the tannerite.

Third and following bangs we found a bunch of left over computer parts that others had shot up. We made "castles" of junk with the tannerite at the bottom. We cleared the area! When we were done, there wasn't a recongizable piece of computer equipment left. Even the heavy guage metal for the computer cases were warped to cool shapes. Several of the welds were completely blow apart.

The last big castle we did, we had stuff flying over 100 yards. i.e over our heads. That one scared us because some of the stuff almost hit the truck, that was behind us.

After the first one went off, I was giggling like a little kid. Ideas were going through my head that I haven't had for years. Back when I used to play with fireworks and blowing up models, dreaming of being able to get a bigger bang! Well, I found it!

I like the idea of hanging the bottles on a string. I only read about that on their site, after our outing.

I like your idea of putting them in film canisters. Then taking them to a shooting match and taping them to the steel tartgets and not telling anyone. Wait for the lucky shot to hit the canister. hehehehehehe

As for the fire hazard... I don't know. I know I won't be doing our second batch till it rains here.

Safe distance, 75-100 yards minimum.

Shipping to CA??? Call them.

Definately worth the $$$ !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The last big castle we did, we had stuff flying over 100 yards. i.e over our heads. That one scared us because some of the stuff almost hit the truck, that was behind us.
View Quote

100 yards might not be a safe distance anymore.  At BFIII a fire extinguisher flew 100 yards, OVER OUR HEADS, and hit an SUV in the parking area.  Nice big dent in the top of the SUV.  

I also saw other pieces fly 75 yards, almost to where we were shooting...

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Called the folks that make this stuff today and found out it is Ca. legal, for now atleast(we all know how that goes right?).

So anyways, I was concerned primarily about the stuff as a fire hazzard and whether or not I could downsize the stuff to 35mm film containers.   To my surprise the person on the phone said that the risk of fire is low to non-existant due to the way it goes through it's decomposition, was surprised to say the least by that.    At first he didn't understand what I meant by downsizing to a 35mm film canister, he figured I was trying to make M80s or something and told me it won't respond to flame like a flash powder will(which actually is nice to hear) but once I explained to him that I was interested in making a smaller target and a smaller "bang"(to draw less attention) he understood clearly and it sounds like it should be expected to work just fine.

I have an over abundant source of 35mm film canisters and I'm betting a 1/2 pound canister of tannerite could be broken down to a bunch of littler 35mm canister sized targets.    Especially when I get an entire case of tannerite.

All of a sudden I find myself wanting to go build a few cheap model cars and build little tannerite charges into it, one well placed shot should make a mess of the stuff.   I know of a REALLY secluded and safe place to play with this stuff too, probably gonna place an order in a week or so.    It's just too bad I don't have one of those super high speed film cameras they use to do stop motion or super slow motion photography, would be cool as heck to capture the pieces causing mayhem in super slow motion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I was there this weekend.THAT WAS NOT Tannerite!

I have used tannerite many many times.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=122106[/url][red]edited to activate url,Ed Sr[/red]

If you want to see what it will do look at this link.The pics at the bottom is 30 bottles of it mixed up.It moved a 1500 lbs haybail 15 feet.
There is a pic of me standing in the crater that this made ;)

What happend this weekend was just wrong!Some dumb ass out there could have killed someone.The sound and flash ..... and color the charge that sent the tank in the the parking lot was NOT the same as Tannerite!

QtheBANG!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I beleive it was something stronger than plain old Tannerite, possibly something somebody made up??

I was standing all the way at the east end, saw the bottle lift and go through the air..just stood there, like what could I do to yell "heads up".

The fella that had it, was outing it under washing machines, dryers, and it just blew them apart, no major flying objects to any degree. He did put one in the wood pile, just blew the pile apart. Now logs lifting and flying.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally looked at the charges under the dryer and it was a tannerite bottle.  Now it could have been anything inside it, but it said tannerite on it with the orange/red sticker or label.

I've never seen or messed with tannerite before so I dunno if it was tannerite or not.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The fella that had it on the east end was on his last 2 bottles just prior to the SUV damage...1 was under a wash machine, the other was supposed to be on top of another machine, but when his buddy looked in binoculars to located the bottles, [b]somebody had removed it[/b]....

I saw the explosion, it was towards the center of the range, the fella that had the stuff was standing under the tent with his buddy where the teenage gal was shooting the 50 rifle, neither was in any position to discharge a firearm. I also seen boxes of bottles w/ white powder in them closer to the center of the firing line,
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also seen boxes of bottles w/ white powder in them closer to the center of the firing line,
View Quote

I had a couple of cases of it there, but can still without a shodow of a doubt, tell you that the charge that lifted the fire extinguisher [u]was not[/u] Tannerite!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree,  the explosion that hurled the extinguisher didn't have a same color signiture as tannerite.

SBR7: The box of tannerite near the middle of the line was ours. And at that time we were only using the small bottles they send as targets.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

100 yards might not be a safe distance anymore.  At BFIII a fire extinguisher flew 100 yards, OVER OUR HEADS, and hit an SUV in the parking area.  Nice big dent in the top of the SUV.  

I also saw other pieces fly 75 yards, almost to where we were shooting...

View Quote

The fire extinguisher was [b][red]NOT[/b][/red] launched with tannerite!  I have shot enough tannerite to know what is will do, what it sounds like, and what the explosion looks like.

Tannerite when shot leaves a orange colored cloud after the explosion.  Whatever set the fire extinguisher off did not leave the cloud.

Also, someone has already posted about another person having a "home brew explosive" on the line.

medcop
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#11]
In the locked thread, AR15 member durk made mention about a guy who said he had a "home brew"

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I agree,  the explosion that hurled the extinguisher didn't have a same color signiture as tannerite.
View Quote

I seen no flash, just heard boom and seen bottle fly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
That tent at the East end was ours.  The young ladies on the .50 were The Greek Goddess and Little Bit.  I regret I did not witness the lift off or where the fella was setting his charges.  I DID see the propane tank lift way above the trees - which gave me the creeps as it certainly had enough energy to send it into the line.

I remember an incident at the Gob Pile.  A Tannerite charge was placed inside a car door.  Damn door skin came back to the line.  It moved slowly enough to let people get away but was a sobering experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top