Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2002 12:51:54 PM EDT
Well went and got the damage estimate from a couple local body shops. Total dollar estimate is $1800.
I would like to thank everyone who donated money to help with the damages. It was way beyond my expectations. Not that I expected anything from everyone.Then again I didn't think I had to worry about a flying fire extinguisher bouncing off my truck and almost killing myself and Camel. I kept looking at that thing flying through the air and saying to myself "It's gonna drop,it's gonna drop befor it get's to the line. "NOOOOOO it's going to hit my...( smack).....Truck".
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
So was the collection sufficient to cover the damage or not?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
What....No Pics? I'm praying it was a FORD![:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

[pissed]

Hey now damnit.... I like my Escape. Actually... I love my Escape.

Sajer, my wife was the gal who was the insurance agent who talked to you afterwards. She's registered on here now as Tweet. We chipped in some $$. What pisses me off is teh bozinga who perped the incident probably didn't even bother to chip in.

Hope you work it out. Nothing worse than seeing your new baby get dinged.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Donation was not enough to cover. I gotjust over $800. Which again was not expected at all. It just shows what a great bunch of people were there.

Pics later. Camel needs to send them to me.

Yes it was a Ford. If it was a Dodge they would have had to total it.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
BenDover,
Your wife was very nice and offered a few suggestions that I apprecitate. I think I know who did it. If you were down on the right side you would have witnessed some of the explosions that were going on. I'm not being a ween or anything but we were finding parts about 20 ft in front of the firing line. And did you see the propane tank fly into the trees? Maybe a bit too much explosives? I think it was a case more must be better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let me be the first to welcome you to AR15.com Sajer. We usually don't greet new members by lobbing fire extinguishers at their truck..but I guess there is a first time for everything.
View Quote

Thanks.
I do have a suggestion for next years t-shirt design. Something like a SUV with a fire extinguisher bouncing off the roof?
I mean if we put the flare incident on this
years it seems logical that the fire ext. should be next.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Sajer,

Please post an address or a paypal account to send donations. Although I wasn't at BFIII I and possiby others would like to donate towards the lacking funds to cover the damage. As responsible gun owners and brothers and sisters of this board we need to stick together as we always have and make others feel welcome.

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
can someone fill me in on this story?  Is their another thread on it somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sajer,

Please post an address or a paypal account to send donations. Although I wasn't at BFIII I and possiby others would like to donate towards the lacking funds to cover the damage. As responsible gun owners and brothers and sisters of this board we need to stick together as we always have and make others feel welcome.

Later

IAJack
View Quote

Thanks for the offer. I feel a bit odd posting for donation. But I'll take the help. I would have done it for someone else if it would have happened to them.And I would rather the damage be to my vehicle than to someone. That would not have been a good memory of Bulletfest.

Send to : Chris Tucker
         3234 Nimtz Parkway
         South Bend ,  IN 46628

Thanks again for the help.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Sajer are you going to turn in a claim to the insurance company?

I checked into it further on Monday and if you file a claim they would probably pay for it, but non-renew your policy at your next renewal term. If you had to find another insurance company your insurance would go up with a claim like that or it would be hard to find a company that would write you a policy. Insurance companies consider that a huge liability.

If you have any questions,please let me know.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I know Tim & I and many others at the far end of the line nowhere near the event in question kicked in.  

There was a lot of stuff flying in the air many times at the other end where this happened. It really shouldn't be a mystery who is responsible.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

[img]http://www.vibeplanet.com/pics/bulletfest3/booboo1.JPG[/img]

from BenDover's pics
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Total dollar estimate is $1800.
View Quote

That seems a little high.  
Did it do any of the following:

Put a hole in the sheet metal?  
Buckle a cross member?  
Can you see it from the inside?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's the pic my friend who was very close at the time snapped of the offending extinguisher.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/BenDover%2Ffireext%2Ejpg[/img]

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not an expert but I would estimate that at a little less than a thousand dollars in damage
Again, I'm not an expert

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#19]
It would be funny if someone posted a pic of 'the car' and said , "that ain't nuttin' dude...look what they did to my car".
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe I'm crazy, but I say leave the damage.  Call it a battle wound or scar.  Just like on jeeps which offroad, the scratches give the vehicle character.  Just have something like a fire extinguisher painted on the side of your door as a KILL marker.  (Like on airplanes)

[:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

An escape is not a SUV, it's a pretty car. [:p]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
it's "just" a dent.  most people can't even see the top of the roof so they will not notice the dent.  i say use the money to buy a new tricked out ar-15 upper.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

A pretty 4x4 car with a tow hitch and the most options standard in it's class.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I say leave the damage.  Call it a battle wound or scar.  Just like on jeeps which offroad, the scratches give the vehicle character.  Just have something like a fire extinguisher painted on the side of your door as a KILL marker.  (Like on airplanes)

[:D]
View Quote

I'm in agreement.    I've got larger on the hood of my truck from when my dad mistakenly drove into the garage with a large 20ft ladder strapped into his truck, ladder smacked the roof and drove that sucker right into the cab making a nice long scrape and dent.    Unless there is a puncture through the sheetmetal in the cab of the truck, I'd say leave it be after making sure that no bare steel is showing(touch up the area if it is) to prevent rust.

As for the money donated....

LOL, that would be a tough one but I'd say that if you're definitely heading to the next one a year from now just turn around to donate it to the next event.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#26]
How can a website that actually says
Maybe a bit too much explosives?
View Quote

be bad...[:d]

on another note...
from someone that has had his car repaired several times because of accidents...

$1800 is way to much for that..
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Word has it that this guy will be at the next Bulletfest to make sure no irresponsible damage of cars takes place. He's damn proud of his own, and knows you feel the same about your car.
[img]www.popemobile.org/hnews/nov11/926p5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

A pretty 4x4 car with a tow hitch and the most options standard in it's class.
View Quote

Yeah but it's one of those little dinky tow hitches so a 4x4 has a place to put the tow strap to pull you out. [:d]

At least you'll have AC and a CD while you wait!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#29]
The suspense is killing me! [:D] What happened?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#30]

LE6920 have you ever driven a Ford Escape?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Who did it???  Do tell!

My suburban has so many damn dents, dings, and scratches that I would laugh a dent like that off.  

Then again, maybe you are more concerned with that cosmetic dent (which anyone under 6'5" really isn't going to see).  

I say spend the money on a good upper--- then again, I wouldn't tell anyone about it either!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

LE6920 have you ever driven a Ford Escape?
View Quote

Actually a buddy at work got one, but I have only rode in it.

I did tow one out a sand pit a few months back, that is how I know about the tow hitch.

I am just busting you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#33]
[size=6]FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE PLEASE TELL US WHAT HAPPENED HERE![/size=6]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#34]
$1800.00 for that?
Jeeeeze, a wrap with a rubber hammer, duct tape and a coat hanger will fix that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#35]
What happened is some guy misused an explosive as a target.  Set a fire ext on top of the charge (or put it IN the can).  When it went off, the thing was launched up at an angle and landed on a nice Ford SUV.  The coward then refused to own up to what he did.

TOWMAN was there and looked at the damage.  He said the roof could be saved easily for the amount donated.  After nearly 20 years in the body business, I believe him.  Price quoted is for a new roof.  Suit yourself.

I know the individual you guys suspect did the evil deed.  While I know that no harm was intended it was an incredibly STUPID act.  If same guy, it has happened before.  Even worse, the guilty party is a COWARD for failing to come forward.  I saw the propane tank go higher than the trees - at least it went straight up rather than at an angle.  I regret the SUV getting dinged but sure prefer that to what ALMOST happened!!  We do NOT need an injury at one of these affairs!!!!!!  Campy was highly pissed and I fully agree with him!  I just hope some video evidence can be found.   For one thing I would like to know from where the fire ext launched.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
What happened is some guy misused an explosive as a target.  Set a fire ext on top of the charge (or put it IN the can).  When it went off, the thing was launched up at an angle and landed on a nice Ford SUV.  The coward then refused to own up to what he did.

I know the individual you guys suspect did the evil deed.  While I know that no harm was intended it was an incredibly STUPID act.  If same guy, it has happened before.  Even worse, the guilty party is a COWARD for failing to come forward.  I saw the propane tank go higher than the trees - at least it went straight up rather than at an angle.  I regret the SUV getting dinged but sure prefer that to what ALMOST happened!!  We do NOT need an injury at one of these affairs!!!!!!  Campy was highly pissed and I fully agree with him!  I just hope some video evidence can be found.   For one thing I would like to know from where the fire ext launched.
View Quote

I was standing next to the tall mortar next to your shooting position,, the extinguisher was launched from approx 1/3 the way from the east end of the line, practically straight in linre with the damaged vehicle. I was looking at the front of your shooting tent, and caught the "BOOM" and seen-watched the bottle fly from ground through the air. The bottle launched from approx your 9:30 to 10' o'clock position on the edge of the berm.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the description of launch point.  That is a good way from where the mortar crew was setting targets but anything is possible.

I fear the only way to deal with this MAY be to ban all explosive targets next year.  Too bad as they ARE fun!  The range is a little short for them, the parking lot a little close.  They are NOT supposed to be placed in or under ANYTHING but morons insist on doing those things.  

Where do we go from here?  It is clear to me that range safety needs improved to deal with such a large and diverse crowd.  What are the suggested answers?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Mickey Mouse,

I talked with Bob today and a few things seemed like good ideas.

One, Bob is looking into a 300 yard range.

Two, only a selected group of people who will be allowed downrange to set and reset targets.

Three, more ROs... with walkie talkies... and possibly an air siren for when a cease fire is called.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#39]
New is not always better! I have been the owner/operater of a collision repair shop for 30+ years. I would think more than twice before I even thought of letting someone cut the roof skin off of my suv! Way better in the long run to R&R the headliner, roof rack,etc. The dent appears , from the photo, to be repairable with a minimal amount of filler. Way better than pulling the windshield, having to redo all the factory seams all the way around the edges, and having to refinish all those areas. Everyone has an opinion, I guess, that's mine.
               Pete
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One, Bob is looking into a 300 yard range.

Three, more ROs... with walkie talkies... and possibly an air siren for when a cease fire is called.

View Quote

MM - is Bob talking about the range at Tusco?  That has a alot smaller firing line and probably wouldn't accomodate many shooters.

I think the air siren or something of that nature is a good idea.  It took quite awhile to effect a cease fire (as in when the small car fire turned into a large care fire by the time you all got out there with the extinguishers).

Seeing that fire extinguisher launched was quite a surreal experience.  I remember seeing something get launched and thought it was a piece of wood or something fairly light.  I did manage to get out a few shouts of "Heads!" as it came toward the line, but I don't think many people responded.  I'm actually surprised that it did so little damage for something that had so many bullet holes and sharp edges on it.  Pretty close call for me - my car was only two down from it (I think it was surrounded by radius' and waldo's trucks).
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#41]
There was another individual claiming his vehicle's roof was damaged, and a second collection was taken. Don't know how that turned out.

I thought I had a really bad parking spot on the side of the road, on the far west side, turns out it wasn't so bad after all.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]
On the damage there was also a dent in front of the rack which is not in the picuture which could have influenced the estimate.  
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2ee01004/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/IMG_0529.jpg?bcYuhS9AdtRgKUIz[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Dude, thats nothing, look what they did to my car

[img]http://junior.apk.net/~scotts/bf002.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#45]
These pictures don't capture the full dent but you can see the one in front of the rack a little....
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2ee01004/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/IMG_0526.jpg?bcYuhS9A0P_RPo8_[/img]

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/2ee01004/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/IMG_0528.jpg?bcFUuS9AszMYoM4h[/img]

second picture added

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
WTF does that have to do with it?

As for Escapes, I am none too pleased with them right now.  Had a soccer mom back over the front end of my RX7 Turbo on Saturday in one of those.  Taking it to body shop tommorrow.  GRRRRR.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
So, what happened was someone (BAD IDEA!!) put a fire extinguisher on top of one of those exploding targets???????

Scott

[b][size=6]BAD IDEA!!!!![/size=6][/b]

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Launched fire extinguishers, flying propane bottles,  concrete firing  cannons,  car fires.
 Sounds like a great range weekend to me!  Kudos to those that donated to this gentleman.

When is the public keelhauling  of the perpetrator?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
[size=6]FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE PLEASE TELL US WHAT HAPPENED HERE![/size=6]
View Quote

I'm not sure either but, evidentially AntiUSSA got extremely intoxicated and while attempting to sexually molest a fire extinguisher it accidentally discharged and rocketed onto the roof of this guy's ride.  An estimate must also cover some of Tim's medical bills, because there is no way in hell that $1800 in damage.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Well the pic does not show all the damage.First the luggage rack was chewed up and bent. Second there were two dents.The fire extinguisher basically bent around the rack and put two dents in the top also cracking the runner.Third the piece hit with such force that it pushed the bolt holding the rack down into the interior
and cracked the headliner. Now I could live with the cracked headliner which would bring the price down by about $500. But you know I want my car back to what it was.I use my car everyday and need it to look good for clients.
That's why I bought a newer car. If I didn't care I'd still drive my 91 Ford F-150 4x4 with 185k miles on it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top