Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2001 4:29:50 AM EDT
Yesterday I watched this Lenny Magill video titled 'AR15 Close Quarter Combat'. The video covers techniques for using the AR15 up close out to about 25 yards but mostly 'same room' stuff.

Anyway, part of the video discusses the fact that up close you need to AIM HIGH because the front sight is 2-3/4" above the barrel in an AR15.

His AR was zeroed at 100 Yards and here is how his bullets were flying.

Muzzle = 2-3/4" low point of aim
10 Yds = 2-3/4" low (not a precise measurement)
25 Yds = 2" low
50 Yds = 1-3/4" low
100 Yds = dead on

I don't recall the bullet weight, probably was 55 grainers though.

From this I deduced that for an AR sighted at 100 yds, the bullet is always rising from the muzzle out to 100 yds.

It would be interesting to perform this same kind of test for a battlesighted rifle but I don't have ready access to a 300M range.

Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
They teach this at tactical rifle courses (although they teach that difference is about 2 1/4 inches). To deal with this, you use "offset aiming." HK courses teach this with the HK subgun target, which is a silhouette target with six 3-4 inch circles, triangles and squares located on the target. You can make these yourself with a can of spray paint, a razor blade and some pieces of cardboard.

You aim at the top of the shape, and Presto! Your rounds hit the target. Repeat this drill and you will pick up your offset aim. The farther out you go, the less offset. This works for your pistol caliber subguns, which should generally be zeroed for 25 yards, and rifles, which should be zeroed for 100 yards, if you are doing law enforcement of CQB work. Law Enforcement types really should not be taking shots past 100 yards, except under very extreme circumstances. This concept differs from military Battlesight Zero, which stresses being able to get a hit of some type from close-in out to several hundred meters. Battlesight Zero may be a flawed concept, because the military had known for years that most rifle engagements take place at about 60 meters against fleeting targets that are exposed for 2-6 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I've read somewhere that you can battle sight an AR at 25 yards. Anybody here know if that's true or not?

How about battle sight zero bullet trajectory at 100 yards?
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#6]
From this I deduced that for an AR sighted at 100 yds, the bullet is always rising from the muzzle out to 100 yds.
View Quote

Judging by the numbers you posted it appears that the opposite is true.  ???

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/1/2001 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Judging by the numbers you posted it appears that the opposite is true.  ???

Eddie
View Quote

No, the bullet is rising. It starts out below point of aim, rising the entire flight path, until at 100 yds the bullet has risen the 2-3/4" it needs to be at the point of aim. This is for a rifle sighted at 100 yds, not battlesight zero.

Army Field Manual 23-9 (1989 publication but Congress has not changed the laws of gravity since then), Appendix F has a good discussion of the flight path of M193 Ball ammo, when fired from an M16A1 Rifle.  If the barrel was level when fired, M193 Ball ammo will drop 24 inches at 300 meters! (Figure F-1).

The next graph, (F-2) shows the path for the rifle sighted in at 250 Meters. Barrel is pointing UP. Bullet starts out RISING, passes through zero at 42M, contiues rising out to 150M, then starts dropping, finally drops back to zero at 250M.

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top