Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2013 6:45:37 AM EDT
Will the use of a Bullet Button get around NY's AWB? I hate this fucking state!

The "two-feature" test bans any gun that is semi-automatic, has
a detachable magazine (in the case of pistols and rifles), and
possesses two features that are commonly associated with military
weapons. The "one-feature" test would ban semi-automatic guns with
detachable magazines that possess one feature commonly associated
with military weapons. This section also adds to the list of
"features" that characterize a banned weapon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
With 7 rds?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
im sure in ny your going to be arrested anyways, they know that your probably legal but they wil fuck with you  just to fight it out in court.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#3]
i think "maybe" but you can't have a mag that takes more than 7 rounds.

This is going to make rapid prone interesting
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#4]
BB was made for CA's ban. New York's 1 test would require featureless w/ a button it seems.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

probably not....California's law IIRC Specifically states that a magazine is NOT "Detachable" if it requires the use of a "Tool" to remove...NY statute has no such provision..detachable is Detachable..NJ is the same way
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Wrong, you can have a 10 round mag but ONLY put 7 rounds in it
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
probably not....California's law IIRC Specifically states that a magazine is NOT "Detachable" if it requires the use of a "Tool" to remove...NY statute has no such provision..detachable is Detachable..NJ is the same way

This and I mentioned yesterday that Sacramento is trying to work legislation to get this changed and outlaw BB.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Would it depend on what NY defines as "detachable"? Didn't see anything in this piece of shit bill.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#11]
What the Sam Hell is a Bullet Button???
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, theoretically then, EVERY rifle that can hold more than 1 round has a "detachable" magazine.  Might require a lot of work and tools to remove them, but they are all detachable, from tube-fed rimfires down to M1 Garands, etc...
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a replacement for the standard mag release button which requires a "tool" to release.  Requiring a "tool" makes it by law a "fixed magazine" rather than a detachable magazine.  The "tool" is usually the bullet end of a .223 / 5.56 cartridge, hence "bullet button"
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, theoretically then, EVERY rifle that can hold more than 1 round has a "detachable" magazine.  Might require a lot of work and tools to remove them, but they are all detachable, from tube-fed rimfires down to M1 Garands, etc...

Bingo.  Don't thnk that fact hasn't escaped the mind of gun-banners.  It's an incremental step to "toughen existing laws" down the road.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a feeling that unless CA Republicans can kill these in committee like they did last year, that they'll go on to pass easily due to the Sandy Hook and NY momentum.

Quoted:

Yup! SB47... already on the books getting fueled up for take off. With a democrat majority... I foresee it passing unless we can hit it like we did last year.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Californian's "sort of" got around the AW ban by buying AR's (and other rifle types) that were not explicitly named in the bill.  For example, you cannot have a Colt Sporter AR15 no matter what.  However, you can have a Colt LE6920 as long as the mag catch was replaced with one that has a slightly recessed button in it so that you have to use a hex key or the tip of a bullet to drop the mag.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Just get a belt fed upper. The law says nothng about belts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmm, I'll have to read the text.  I'm pretty sure that they used language such that a belt over 7 rounds would constitute a feeding device of equivalent purpose to a magazine and ban it that way.  That's what CA did.  If it doesn't their State Police or DOJ will just issue a finding or declaration that belts are the same as magazines for legal purposes.

Quoted:
Just get a belt fed upper. The law says nothng about belts.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do a YouTube search for the best example. That's what I had to do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#20]
i may be wrong but i think we have three options.....Bullet button with any features but can only have a 5 mag.....featureless with preban 10(only seven loaded)......or register and have our weapons taken by the state when we die!

(A)  A  SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION  OF
THE WEAPON;
(III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(IV)  A  SECOND  HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(V) A BAYONET MOUNT;
(VI) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, MUZZLE COMPENSATOR, OR THREADED
BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A  FLASH  SUPPRESSOR,  MUZZLE  BREAK,  OR
MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;
(VII) A GRENADE LAUNCHER;

(G) PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT SUCH TERM DOES NOT INCLUDE:
(I)  ANY  RIFLE,  SHOTGUN  OR  PISTOL THAT (A) IS MANUALLY OPERATED BY
BOLT, PUMP, LEVER OR SLIDE ACTION; (B)  HAS  BEEN  RENDERED  PERMANENTLY
INOPERABLE;  OR  (C)  IS  AN  ANTIQUE  FIREARM  AS  DEFINED IN 18 U.S.C.
921(A)(16);
(II) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT CANNOT ACCEPT  A  DETACHABLE  MAGAZINE
THAT HOLDS MORE THAN FIVE ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION

the only part i question is CANNOT ACCEPT  A  DETACHABLE  MAGAZINE.

here is the cali 2000

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches [762 mm].
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following: (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

In addition, (Penal Code §§ 12001.5) bans, by definition, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles. Defined in Penal Code §§ 12020; a short-barreled shotgun is defined as a firearm (designed, redesigned, or altered) to fire a fixed shotgun shell and has a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled rifle is defined as a semiautomatic, center fire rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches.

What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's a device that clever Americans in California use to comply with the law. It covers the magazine release so that the mag cannot be released without the use of a tool approximatey ".223 in diameter to fit through a hole in a guard covering the button. They have been through the courts on this and they meet the legal definition of a "tool" to release the magazine. These Americans should be commended in their efforts to satisfy legal requirements.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not even sure bulleit bourbon is still legal in NY after yesterday :-\
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a device that clever Americans in California use to comply with the law. It covers the magazine release so that the mag cannot be released without the use of a tool approximatey ".223 in diameter to fit through a hole in a guard covering the button. They have been through the courts on this and they meet the legal definition of a "tool" to release the magazine. These Americans should be commended in their efforts to satisfy legal requirements.

It REALLY pissed of the asshats in Sacramento like Yee.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#24]
so are SKS's on in NY?

Sounds like you can put one evil feature on it - bayo lug or folding stock?

The whole thing will prob get blown up in court anyway - but still a mess.....

Red

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Wrong, you can have a 10 round mag but ONLY put 7 rounds in it

You can't buy them anymore though. The 10rd mags you own are grandfathered.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top