Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2002 8:34:33 PM EDT
On another thread, someone brought up the fact that the Pennsylvania Game Commission is now enforcing a 3 round limit! And now you are not supposed to shoot at anything but paper targets! I heard they fined a kid 380$ cause he put 10 rounds in a Ruger 10/22 What the HELL IS THIS! In reality I just keep my eye out and load 10 to 15 at time, but Still! Plus out on Long Island in New York, Huntington Town Rifle and Pistol wont let you shoot at targets with people on it! I made a stink and got the line from a gun-owner no less "We have children come to this range with their parents and its not a good idea to let them think that guns are used to shoot people' My reply was of course, THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY FOR! Is this trent nationwide, and come to think of it where can I shoot at a range in downstate New York out to 1000yds!????
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:38:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:49:04 PM EDT
Now if the local gun-owners were led by Jesse "Shakedown" Jackson, there'd be boycotts, protest marches, newspaper ads and traveling rent-a-mobs camped out in front of the range day and night until they changed their rules. But we're too "independant" to be that organized. Incrementalism is what will destroy us.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:49:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:52:33 PM EDT
Private range : some members trying to ban use of steel case (not bullet, casing) ammo like wolf due to no one picks it up like they do brass and now it is rusting on the firing line and creating a mess I suggested a large nail pick up magnet (Northern Hydraulic or similar) to make it easy to pick up and sort out or that I would volunteer to go up and clean up one weekday as I need the work hours anyway (each member has to put in hours or pay additional dues each year) which even though I dont own anthing 7.62X39 I could probably make short work of it instead of every body bitchin about it and banning a fairly common round -a ban that couldnt be enforced without manning the range full time anyway. Some of the older "huntin rifle only" crowd are anal retentive about "thier" range and several members had to point out that it is OUR range and that without the rest of the clubs money and time it wouldnt even exist anymore. Then the "no rapid fire" motion came up......
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2002 8:54:38 PM EDT by LngBchAR15]
Lets see...I went to a indoor range south of Los Angeles. They wouldn't even let me borrow their rentals because I went there alone. Their stupid rule is that "gun rental is for two or more person only." Do they think I'm a psycho loner who would borrow a gun at the range and start killing people there? Double tap is also frowned upon at indoor ranges here. Possibly get the membership revoked or get booted from the range for that. How am I going to prepare for stressful self defense scenario if gun rental and double tap aren't allowed at the shooting range? When shooting my rifles, I'm more focused on marksmaship. But when I'm shooting my handgun, I'm there to prepare for self defense. Human target seems to be optional here. Almost all the ranges I go to give me the simple bulls eye target. You might find some ranges in your area by visiting [url]http://www.wheretoshoot.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:54:57 PM EDT
Damn!!!! Even here in California we don't have crap like a 3 round limit!! Both ranges in my area are very AR/AK friendly....of course I live in Nor-Cal, we are a little more conservative (and rational) than the rest of the state. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:01:05 PM EDT
At several north texas ranges: 1. No FMJ ammo. Soft point hollow point only. Stupid, stupid, stupid. They tell me it is a stupid mandate from their insurance company. Whatever. 2. No CCI blazer. One of the local inoor ranges doesn't like seperating the aluminum cases when they sell their brass. Jerks. 3. No rapid fire. Why not? Actually I understand why, it's just sad that a few bad apples have dictated these rules on the rest of us. I dont want to blast really, but most of our ranges are one shot every two seconds max. 4. One of the local ranges does not allow military style weapons... on some days... depending on how the old tyrant feels. Other days, he will make you start at 50 yds to "prove" the weapon is on target and accurate. Never gone back. 5. No shooting anything but targets. Actually, I understand this, cause ricochets and garbage buildup will become a problem when people start throwing pop cans 20 yds downrage to plink. Too bad, that sure is fun. That's all I can think of for now.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:05:50 PM EDT
Gee I bitch about my range, maybe I should shut up. No machine guns. No plinking, paper targets only. I thought *those* regs were bad.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:09:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lumpy223: You think a 3 round limit is bad? The Michigan DNR limits you to one round in your weapon at a time while shooting on the State ranges. Oh yeah, [b][i]LOTS[/i][/b] of fun shooting an AR as a single shot. Sheer stupidity.
View Quote
Just how in the muthaf&@*ing [b][red]HELL[/red][/b] did you sheeple let yourself get cornholed THAT bad by the liberals in Michigan???? Was there a rash of gun-range multiple-homicides there recently??? Did Ted Nugent just up and leave the State for a couple years??? Did the homicide rate dramatically drop after those laws were passed??? Do y'all feeeeeeeeeeeel a lot safer now???? Holy cow I'm glad I'm in Arizona!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2002 9:16:02 PM EDT by kevhogAZ]
The only problem I've ever had at my range, was a bad case of an extremely chauvinistic range supervisor. I guess he thinks my girlfriend shouldn't be out there doing "man" stuff, or something? Simple solution, go to the other side of the benches. No other probs. to report. God damn, I'm glad I live in AZ!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:40:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DSAFALS: On another thread, someone brought up the fact that the Pennsylvania Game Commission is now enforcing a 3 round limit! And now you are not supposed to shoot at anything but paper targets! I heard they fined a kid 380$ cause he put 10 rounds in a Ruger 10/22 What the HELL IS THIS! In reality I just keep my eye out and load 10 to 15 at time, but Still! Plus out on Long Island in New York, Huntington Town Rifle and Pistol wont let you shoot at targets with people on it! I made a stink and got the line from a gun-owner no less "We have children come to this range with their parents and its not a good idea to let them think that guns are used to shoot people' My reply was of course, THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY FOR! Is this trent nationwide, and come to think of it where can I shoot at a range in downstate New York out to 1000yds!????
View Quote
Also at the Huntington Range, during Hunting Season, you are only allowd single shot. only one round in the gun at a time. I had a friend that brought his AR and 50 mags loaded 1 round into each and fired them as fast as he could change out mags. He was asked to leave. [:D] You can use the sillouettes as long as you fold down the head. There is nothing longer than 200 yards in Downstate NY that I know of.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:46:37 PM EDT
We are not free anymore. This sucks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:54:17 PM EDT
My friend just joined the Seattle PD and showed me the rules for their athletic association range. More of this "one round loaded in the rifle at a time" nonsense. First time I had EVER heard of such a rule until I read this thread - but unfortunately it seems I am not alone. [:|]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:54:55 PM EDT
The rangemaster threw a fit when he found out I wasn't using their $0.25 targets
View Quote
At the indoor range I shoot at (well, haven't been since August, but I'm going Saturday!!), I tape my targets to the one I buy from them. The RO still complained, but he didn't complain very strongly since he didn't have much of a leg to stand on. Stupid range rules? I live walking distance (about a mile) to a range I haven't been to since last summer. Why? It's watched every single minute it's open by a LEO. Also, the RO believes that any handgun smaller than your hand is illegal in this state. I've met several people with that belief, but I don't know where that came from. Also, he doesn't believe in "military-style" rifles. Also, he allows only rifles with a bolt hold open. The bolt hold open in my Marlin 22 is broken, so I can't shoot it there. I was placing a wooden dowel painted red in the chamber when the line was cold, but that wasn't good enough for the guy. He asked me to leave the last time I shot my Mosin Nagant M44. At this range, you have to shoot through concrete tubes. The fireball from the M44 scared a guy in the lane next to me (the dim tube made it appear worse than it was), so he told me never to bring it back. Also, the RO is a LEO, and he can, and will, ticket you for breaking his range rules. A friend recently paid about $300 for his last trip there.z
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:25:35 PM EDT
When are you people going to learn? It is Constitutionally legal to use a fully loaded 30 round AR15 mag while shooting. For target shooting: 3 rounds in Pennsylvania or 1 round in Michigan; the remaining rounds ensure that the hogs will get fed at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:29:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:30:31 PM EDT
Our local range does not allow steel bullets, being casing or penetrator. If it attracts a magnet it's not allowed. They claim it started a fire before. So there goes all my cheap military ammo. There is also the standard shot a second rule. I mostly just don't like the surly attitude of the range officers. I tend to go there about one or two times a year, however long it takes for me to remember how much I hate the place. There is another range that I like much better but it is a bit more of a drive and still has the shot a second rule. Luckily I have other options. Ranges suck. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:35:31 PM EDT
... What is a range? [;)][;)][;)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:46:09 PM EDT
my range kicks ass. as long as i give the rangemaster a couple dollars for donation he's happy. i shoot 9mm, ARs, AKs, whatever i want. up to 200 yds with free hearing protection and spotting scopes to use. and it's about 10min from my front door!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:10:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:26:36 PM EDT
In Connecticut, if you feel like a drive, go to Blue Trails Range in Wallingford. AR and AK friendly. Along with people targets, brass collection, steel casings. Rapid fire is no-no, but you can get away with double taps and semi-rapid fire. 100y 200y Skeet, trap. indoor .22 $15, you can pretty much do what you like.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:29:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:31:43 PM EDT
Kenmore Range, northeast of Seattle, really sucks when it comes to this sort of garbage. Keep in mind that this isn't a publicly-owned/run range, it is a private range run by the members. Or, really, by a small clique of old-timers. They do allow nonmembers to shoot on one of the ranges, the cruddy 100yd one, for a daily fee. But in order to use the good range (nice benches, 300yd) you have to join. You can't bring a guest in to show him what it's like. If you have a family member visiting from out of state, too bad, use the crummy 100yd range, and remember to pay that range fee! Once you join, you'd think you would be allowed to use the 300yd range. You're paying for a membership, after all. Nope! Joining is merely the prerequisite. You must go to a meeting of the range committee and beg for the "special privilege" to use the 300yd range. But wait, that's not all! Want to load a magazine? Too bad, you can't! You can go to the range committee and beg for the "special privilege" to use a loaded magazine. Think that means you can use a loaded magazine? Nope! You can only use a loaded magazine IF you are doing DCM-style position shooting! There's no such thing as a privilege to use a loaded magazine when shooting from the bench! Oh yeah, you have to get a separate privilege to shoot DCM-style position shooting. Better not forget to request it when you ask to use loaded magazines. There are many more "special privileges", too many to go into. And there are many things for which there simply are no such privileges -- there is no circumstance whatsoever under which you can shoot from the bench with a loaded magazine. But wait, that's not all! You also have to deal with rangemasters who are paragons of their profession: grumpy old farts who go out of their way to act in an offensive manner. I've seen new potential members -- good people, not idiots -- show up and be so thoroughly offended by the rangemasters' behavior toward them that they walk off and never, ever return. Everything which is not compulsory is prohibited at Kenmore. [pissed]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:32:16 PM EDT
Join a hunting club, I have 1500 acres to hunt, hike, camp and shoot any way I see fit, all for only 275$ per year, you can't beat it, why go to a range?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:45:03 PM EDT
Most of the stories here convince me all the more that laws and external pressure will not cause the demise of gun ownership in this country, we'll do it to ourselves. Idiot range rules that forbid learning to use your gun the way it was designed make shooting: 1. Tedious, turning off many people new to it. 2. Of marginal benefit, as one fights as they train. Bad rules alienate experienced and competent shooters. People with guns tend to be individuals and will respect reasonable rules, but will chafe under excessive regulation. If range owners and officers are so dad-gummed afraid of lawsuits, they should find employment elsewhere. Sell your range to reasonable people - shooting sports improve and your blood pressure will go down. Otherwise, a good chunk of the shooting population will quit and find amusement elsewhere. Golf, perhaps. (BTW, golf courses are wastes of beautiful rifle-range land.) And where the #@&% do you get off telling me not to pick up my brass? I surrender my property to you just by being there? Arg! Lousy ranges and lousy gunstores are more a threat than government or media.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:00:07 AM EDT
hell,i must be really lucky. i live in illinois. there is one range within like 20 min. from my house. NO RULES!!! just no shooting junk ,pop cans and stuff like that but theres no range master or nothing it's just a big pit with a bunch of logs stacked nicly at 10 30 50 yards. blast any ammo any gun as much as you want! all you do is sign in and blast away. membership is $30 per year per family but there is a nice pond to fish in and everything. god i love it here!!!! [50]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2002 12:11:12 AM EDT by USP40C]
I cannot complain about the range I use when I use one at all. It is a very nice, modern indoor range. Simple, reasonable rules. 1. All weapons must be cased and unloaded when entering/exiting the building/lanes. 2. Hearing and eye protection is required. 3. Keep you weapon pointed downrange at all times. 4. Load your weapon only on the firing line. 5. Allow the first door to the lanes to close before opening the second door. 6. NO AP rounds. 7. Police your casings. 8. Paper targets only (silhouettes are OK) I don't remember the policies on rifles as I shoot those on private land only, so I don't need to know them. I prefer to go to a friends place in McGregor for all my shooting, but sometimes the range between work and home is just more convenient.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:43:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Shadowblade: 1/2 hour drive and $10 to the good range. The close one is state run and every time I go there seems to be new rules. No targets with people on them. No rapid fire. No holster drills, etc. No collecting brass. Probably the most annoying thing is that they have several ranges. Pistol range, centerfire range, .22 range, skeet range. If I bring a pistol, the AR, and a .22 I have to pack up and change ranges for every gun even when there is no one there.
View Quote
I don't know what part of {the greatest place on earth} ALASKA u live in,but here in NOME we do as we please. No ranges just great outdoors if u not a pussy and afraid of the cool air. I rapid-fire all the time,hell going out now . Long live satan,[}:D]when he is gone , the rest of us{gun owners} aren't to far behind him.[xx(]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:54:13 AM EDT
Where I shoot, they only allow paper targets. However, the other rules are pretty lax. The main rule is, if no one else on the range minds, than you can do it. So, it's best to go when the grouchy hunters and 1 shot every 10 minutes type shooters aren't there. If there are only a couple of other shooters or less, I'll usually ask them if they mind that I rapid fire. So far, no one has ever said "yes I mind". When I start rapid firing, the others usually start doing the same. [heavy] USPC40 ------------------------------------------------- [b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url] [b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url] [b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url] [b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:33:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Originally Posted By Lumpy223: You think a 3 round limit is bad? The Michigan DNR limits you to one round in your weapon at a time while shooting on the State ranges. Oh yeah, [b][i]LOTS[/i][/b] of fun shooting an AR as a single shot. Sheer stupidity.
View Quote
Just how in the muthaf&@*ing [b][red]HELL[/red][/b] did you sheeple let yourself get cornholed THAT bad by the liberals in Michigan????
View Quote
You/We can thank [b]All of the Following...[/b] Our wonderful [b]Liberal Voting Union Members & The Wonderful People of Our Best City... DETROIT[/b] and [b] White Trash Bubba-Minded Shooters[/b] for getting this wonderful set of rules in place for us! :)
Was there a rash of gun-range multiple-homicides there recently???
View Quote
No, We're doing it [b]"For the Children!"[/b]
Did Ted Nugent just up and leave the State for a couple years???
View Quote
Ted is good, and does help, but He is but one Man. He can only do so much.
Did the homicide rate dramatically drop after those laws were passed???
View Quote
We were experiencing the same thing as everyone else "Who knows about those [b]EVIL[/b] guns" knows always happens when >They< are around. People getting killed, not because They were in gangs, drug dealers, punks, criminals, fools, or just stupid... but because [b]"THERE WERE GUNS NEARBY!"[/b]
Do y'all feeeeeeeeeeeel a lot safer now????
View Quote
Not as safe as You would imagine...Not as safe as I do feel about something as safe as say....[b] AIR TRAVEL![/b]
Holy cow I'm glad I'm in Arizona!
View Quote
Well I'm sure We could find plenty of room down it Detroit...Plenty of empty buildings & such...for some reason!?!?!?! [;)] Tall(ToungeFirmlyPlantedInCheek)Shadow
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:19:37 AM EDT
1. All weapons must be cased and unloaded when entering/exiting the building/lanes.
View Quote
I've always thought it strange that the two ranges I've been to have the exact opposite rules. One range has the above rule. The one closest to my house has the exact opposite. At it, all firearms must be uncased and actions open when walking from your car. I like the first one, because you aren't around people handling firearms except at the line, but I also like the second one, because unless someone is in the act of shooting (going to/from their car ) you can see (slide locked back, bolt open, etc.) that their firearm is unloaded and safe. Is there a general consensus on which is safer?z
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:48:39 AM EDT
I love the choice of ranges here in San Antonio, Texas. Even one of the ranges I go to allows rental of Class 3 machine guns (even though its firing is supervised by a RO). Sorry to here many of you guys are having problems with the ranges you attend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:09:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By zoom:
1. All weapons must be cased and unloaded when entering/exiting the building/lanes.
View Quote
I've always thought it strange that the two ranges I've been to have the exact opposite rules. One range has the above rule. The one closest to my house has the exact opposite. At it, all firearms must be uncased and actions open when walking from your car. I like the first one, because you aren't around people handling firearms except at the line, but I also like the second one, because unless someone is in the act of shooting (going to/from their car ) you can see (slide locked back, bolt open, etc.) that their firearm is unloaded and safe. Is there a general consensus on which is safer?z
View Quote
If the firearms are being transported to the range in cases, then it makes sense to me to keep them in the cases until the shooter reaches the firing line.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:10:30 AM EDT
the local indoor range here has a sign posted stating all actions must be open when entering. unspoken is that they can be cased and action closed. so im not sure whats safe since this range goes both ways (that sounds naughty). "Shooters" is the range. the only problem i have with the range is the carpeting the installed on the entire floor of the range in the walking area of the range. can you imagine how hard this makes it to sweep brass up and toss it or put it in a box to reload? the rounds dont roll.. they jump around.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:19:15 AM EDT
I don't understand these ranges that say you aren't allowed to pick up your own damn brass? WTF? It's your brass, you paid for it, why the hell can't you pick it up? As long as you aren't crossing the firing line while the range is hot, there shouldn't be a problem. They just want to keep it and sell it for their own damn profit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:35:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DSAFALS: Plus out on Long Island in New York, Huntington Town Rifle and Pistol wont let you shoot at targets with people on it
View Quote
In Texas, the official state human-outline-silhouette targets for the concealed handgun license test are dark blue. It was changed to blue from black after it was deemed that black silhouette targets were racist. [(:|)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:52:52 AM EDT
These RO's and stupid range rules are a major problem. At a time when we should be getting like minded people together for something they enjoy, and that is constitutionally protected, this crap turns people away and weakens the shooting community. These RT's (range tyrants) hurt themselves in the long run. What are these old fools going to do when everyone stops going to "their" ranges? No more membership fees, soon no more range. They can all get together and browbeat each other. Then, as individuals, die alone in some one bedroom apartment. Forgotten by everyone. Then people like us can run these ranges, and paradise will return.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:10:56 AM EDT
You guys are right these GD rules blow.I live in PA. and at the state range its that # round rule. But soom state ranges that are futher away from Philly at least allow 3 in a rifle and 6 in a handgun. Of course that still sucks. You would think after all the BS that gunowners have to put up with these days that buy the time we get to the range we are in a safe spot with like minded people. And one Last thing I CAN`T STAND THOSE CHEAP A$$ One round every 10 minute shooters and boring hunters with there boring hand-me-down boltaction rifles.Us AR and AK guys probably shoot more in one 30rounder than those guys do in a year.[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:13:05 AM EDT
I almost forgot ever notice that those "one round every 10 minute guys " are usually shooting 22LR???
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:28:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2002 9:29:27 AM EDT by ChrisS]
Originally Posted By bushmaster1: hell,i must be really lucky. i live in illinois. there is one range within like 20 min. from my house. NO RULES!!! just no shooting junk ,pop cans and stuff like that but theres no range master or nothing it's just a big pit with a bunch of logs stacked nicly at 10 30 50 yards. blast any ammo any gun as much as you want! all you do is sign in and blast away. membership is $30 per year per family but there is a nice pond to fish in and everything. god i love it here!!!! [50]
View Quote
Hey! That sounds awfully familiar! [:)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2002 10:00:36 AM EDT by Avalon01]
Bushmaster1: Where is that range at? As for me, the nearest outdoor range is in WI about 40 min away. I hate that range. 1. 1 centerfire round for rifles. Does not matter what caliber. A friend was told that he could only shoot 1 round at a time out of his Hipoint Carbine (9mm). 2. 5 rounds for handgun. 3. 5 rounds rimfire for rifles. 4. NO human silhouettes. 5. NO rapid fire. The place is run by a bunch of old hunters it seems. There are some great people there who shoot, but some of the RO's suck. One told someone I was with that he used to carry a Beta-C mag with a M-11 when he was "on duty". I resisted the urge to shoot him since I didn't want to use the round I loaded. The only good outdoor range I found is Ottawa, but that is a 2 and a half hour drive. Blah... Av.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:04:29 AM EDT
At my range's combat pit the sign says "no rifles allowed". Now, no one says anything about submachine guns, but I can't take my 9mm carbine over there because it's a "rifle". WTF? Last time I was there they got on some poor dude because he brought a .22 rifle over there and wanted to shoot some paper targets. I can see not wanting him to shoot the pepper poppers, but c'mon, it's a .22 rimfire in an enclosed area at 50'! Now I'm totally confused and I don't think the regs are at all clear. The original intent of the rule was to not allow center fire rifles capable of piercing (and damaging) the poppers. That was all. Now it's "everything that isn't a handgun, and subguns are really handguns" according to one ignoramus. I swear, the entire southeast is just dense.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:13:54 AM EDT
Well. We have an indoor 25-meter pistol range, 17 firing booths. Any pistol or carbine using a pistol cartridge. Full auto is okay. In fact, we run bowling pin matches in the winter with a class just for full-auto. Yeah, full auto, indoors, on pins. We know how to have fun. Eat yo' hearts out, folks. Oh...we've a 100-yard 4-position, indoor rifle range, too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:44:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PoliticalScience: In Texas, the official state human-outline-silhouette targets for the concealed handgun license test are dark blue. It was changed to blue from black after it was deemed that black silhouette targets were racist. [(:|)]
View Quote
So now they're training you to shoot at cops??
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:05:55 PM EDT
I shoot at 2 different ranges, one near Eureka, one in Fresno. Let's start with the Fresno range: [b]Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club[/b] -$10/day for non-members (I forget how much a membership is, but it's too much) -No Rapid Fire -Paper Targets only (silhouette OK) -No Steel Core ammo (like the 1000 rds of Wolf 7.62 Russian that I JUST bought [pissed]) [b]Simpson Range[/b](in the woods North of Eureka) -$3/day for non-members, membership is $15/yr with an NRA membership. Guests of members shoot for free. If you wanna become an RO, go thru a class, pay an additional few bucks for a key to the range, only requirement is that you have to RO for like 2 weekends every year. -ANY targets usually OK -500 yd and 100 yd ranges -Can pick up your brass (I don't reload yet, but I"m considering starting) -Friendliest range I've ever had the pleasure of shooting at. BTW: SgtAr, what part of NorCali are you from?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:48:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USP40C: I cannot complain about the range I use when I use one at all. It is a very nice, modern indoor range. Simple, reasonable rules. 1. All weapons must be cased and unloaded when entering/exiting the building/lanes. 2. Hearing and eye protection is required. 3. Keep you weapon pointed downrange at all times. 4. Load your weapon only on the firing line. 5. Allow the first door to the lanes to close before opening the second door. 6. NO AP rounds. 7. Police your casings. 8. Paper targets only (silhouettes are OK) I don't remember the policies on rifles as I shoot those on private land only, so I don't need to know them. I prefer to go to a friends place in McGregor for all my shooting, but sometimes the range between work and home is just more convenient.
View Quote
Sounds like Cook's in Pflugerville. I've been there a few times, but I abhor indoor ranges. Even though I wear earplugs and earmuffs, I still end up with a ringing head when I leave. M@
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:53:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PoliticalScience: In Texas, the official state human-outline-silhouette targets for the concealed handgun license test are dark blue. It was changed to blue from black after it was deemed that black silhouette targets were racist.[(:|)]
View Quote
Ugh! But "black" people aren't even really "[b]BLACK[/b]", they can be anything from light tan to dark brown - but not [b]BLACK[/b]! Have those black people who were so offended ever stood next to a black silhouette target? I'm sure they look NOTHING like them. More PC bullchips. [whacko}
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:46:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vinnie: Also at the Huntington Range, during Hunting Season, you are only allowd single shot. only one round in the gun at a time. I had a friend that brought his AR and 50 mags loaded 1 round into each and fired them as fast as he could change out mags. He was asked to leave. [:D]
View Quote
That's just hilarious. [:D] The only complaint that I have with the range I go to is that they only allow shotguns to fire slugs on the rifle ranges. Now, I'm a pretty tough guy, and could probably fire an endless supply of slugs from my double barrel 12 gauge, but any more than 15 slugs WILL bruise my shoulder (I shoot 3" magnum slugs). When I started, 5 tenderized it pretty good, but now I just get the bruises with no pain. However, they allow birdshot and even buckshot on the pistol ranges. The rifle ranges are only 25yds. The pistol ranges are 25yds. The hangers and pulley hardware for the targets on both types of lanes are the same. The only difference between the two is that the pistol ranges don't have a chair with each lane, while the 2 rifle lanes do. Personally, if I were a pistol shooter, I'd be PISSED if some shotgunner hopped into the lane next to me and began to pattern his cannon. I don't think (and experience has dictated) that rifle shooters would even notice, or complain much. Come to think of it, the only comment I've received in the rifle lanes were the last time my buddy and I were at the range with my shotgun and his Bushy. The guys coming into the lane next to us just wanted to know "what in the hell" I was shooting - they thought it was some weird magnum caliber (I guess that makes 'em half right!). I get nothing but dirty looks and bitchy comment when I want to shoot birdshot and buckshot on the pistol ranges. the_reject
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:20:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chairborne_Ranger: Gee I bitch about my range, maybe I should shut up. No machine guns. No plinking, paper targets only. I thought *those* regs were bad.
View Quote
tucson rifle club?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:26:32 PM EDT
I can't believe some of these screwed up rules. When I read a similar post about a month ago I was thinking this stigma was only single owner ranges (i.e. small indoor shops), corporate type ranges (i.e. chain sporting goods places with ranges) and small ranges run by cliquish hunters. The action shooters need to get together in each of your respective areas and either get a range of your own with appropriate rules or take over a range in your area. I live in east central florida near Cape Canaveral. I've been a member of Central Florida Rifle and Pistol (Orlando) and Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club (Palm Bay). Currently a member of the latter. Both ranges allow rapid fire, as many rounds as you like in your mag, have dedicated action areas (i.e. IPSC, holster drills, 3-gun, etc.) and long distance ranges. The orlando range has 300 yds for rifle - no special oversight required. The palm bay range has 600 yds - all that is required is that you get the rifle director to ok your equipment and your ability (i.e. meet him on saturday morning for a cup of coffee and shoot a few rounds with him) and you're good to go. BTW the Rifle director is there every weekend and there's a high power group that used to (and may still) meet on the range at 6am every morning. Action ranges require a shooter breifing - standard IPSC new shooter breifing on recognizing the 180, sweeping one self, being extra careful when re-holstering hot. And you are free to use the ranges from sun up to sun down 365 days a year (matches on the weekend mornings). The palm bay range even has a sub-gun group that holds weekly matches. We've got three-gun shooters, IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy, Sub-gun - I can't understand a range that doesn't recognize this discipline. As far as military rifles both ranges are ODCMP affiliated and file your scores from John Garand and High Power matches with the NRA. Get it together folks ... stupid rules don't make the range any safer. Ryan
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top