Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2001 6:09:35 AM EDT
[url]http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/21301.html[/url]

AMD slashes the price of their CPU up to %49.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#1]
This is good advice.  Not only are CPUs at rock-bottom prices, so are memory chips.  This has happened before.  It's a cycle.  Toshiba is blaming low memory chip prices on its recent decision to lay off about 10,000 people, or 10% of its work force.

Whenever this situation has existed before, something has ALWAYS happened to raise prices - Explosion and fire at a chip factory; major bug discovered in a popular CPU or chipset; failure of a new line of hard drives to achieve the desired data density; etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
As a matter of fact I just bought a new kit system last night.  AMD Duron 800Mhz cpu and mother board for just $89 at Fry's!!  At these prices I couldn't pass it up!!

My goal is to have a computer for every person in the house(4) all conected thru a network hub.

I justify it by telling people it's for school.[:D]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh yea, and 128mb of PC133 Ram for just $16!!!!

How low can it go!!!!!!!!!!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As a matter of fact I just bought a new kit system last night.  AMD Duron 800Mhz cpu and mother board for just $89 at Fry's!!  At these prices I couldn't pass it up!!

My goal is to have a computer for every person in the house(4) all conected thru a network hub.

I justify it by telling people it's for school.[:D]

sgtar15
View Quote

Where the hell is Fry's?  I'll pick up two 'cause they're so cheap.  Are they online?  What's the URL?  And what's the deal with the memory?  You have to send in a rebate coupon or is that price straight up?

Lemme know
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
i think frys is a west coast only chain its a BYO computer nuts wet dream all the parts they have
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been shopping at Fry's for about 14 years.  It's hard to believe it's been that long.  As I understand it, Fry's was a grocery chain in the San Francisco bay area.  Then they opened a computer store in Sunnyvale Ca.  That store was about the size of a Compusa Store.  After a few years they moved to a new store across the street.  That store was the size of a Kmart.  Then they opened a bunch more stores in the Bay area in closed down Price Club's etc. They are basicly the Walmart of electronics. As far as I know they are only in Kal. And they do not sell over the internet.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]
They have frys in arizona too. From everything I have read, the store is famous for recycling returns. It doesn't matter if the merchandise is defective, ruined, missing parts, etc. they just rewrap it, slap a blue and white "ain't nothin wrong wit dis" sticker on it and right back on the shelf it goes.  When people catch on and buy the non-returns so there is only blue and white sticker products left on the shelves, these get rotated out to other stores.

Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright, don't spread this around my AR brothers.... (you will put me out of business!)

PC Chips M810
AMD Athlon 1GHz (266)
256MB PC133 Memory
40GB Hard Drive
64MB Video (Onboard)
52X CD ROM
Mid ATX USB Case
32-Bit Sound
56K V.90 Modem
1.44MB Floppy
10/100 NIC
Keyboard
Scroll Mouse

$399 S/H Included

KILLER DEAL!!!  5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!
[url]www.pcinfinity.net[/url]

Nuckles.  [smash]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, nuckles,  Just placed an order, I will let everyone know how great your service is, when you get it to me FASSSSSST.

I like to do business with fellow gun people.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
The cheapest prices I've found are by doing a search through Pricewatch.com:

[url]http://www.pricewatch.com/[/url]

And then verifying that the mail-order merchant is usable by looking for ratings of at least 5.0 AND at least 30 customers, at ResellerRatings:

[url]http://www.resellerratings.com/[/url]

Some of the mail-order places are real burn joints (sell defective merchandise, then stonewall any returns, then disappear).  RR is a good consumer-reviews site for weeding those out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was living in San Diego I took the plunge and built a computer fron mothing but parts bought from Fry's.
After I had the entire thing built and buttoned up I pressed the on button. It worked. When I went to load up the operating system I started to get all sorts of errors. After 3 hours of this I took the entire system back to Fry's with the recipts. I was thinking that since I had just bought the thing from Fry's that the tech desk guys could pull out the components (CPU, memory, hard drive, motherboard) and check them out for me so I could find out what was wrong with it.
The tech guys would not touch it. I offered to pay them, they said nope. I was pissed off at this point, so I said screw it and bought the same CPU, motherboard, memory and hard drive that I had just bought.
I took everything home and proceeded to troubleshoot my system with the other brand new parts I bought.
It ended up being a problem with the motherboard.
I waited a couple of days to return the good stuff and the bad motherboard.
I did a walk up to the return line and told them that I had a bad motherboard and that I wanted to return it. I was told that I had to send it back to the manufacturer as they didn't do returns on that motherboard.
Sheese.
I packed the bad motherboard up in the original packaging and returned everything as "stuff I didn't want". They didn't even blink, they accepted everything no questions asked.

Fry's has the nice prices, you just need to learn how to play the game there at Fry's.

Here are a couple of links for anti-Fry's pages:

On line Fry's work application:
[url]http://www.best.com/~braith/frys.htm[/url]

Daves, "experinces at Fry's" webpage:
[url]http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592/frys.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]
This is great news. I just came online to order a new computer and Don r had sent this link to me. time to rethink what to buy. mmk   this is what i ordered
„h PC Chips M817
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
„h 512MB DDR Memory
„h 40GB Hard Drive
„h 64MB GeForce2 MX400
„h 12x10x40x CD-RW
„h Mid ATX USB Case
„h 32-Bit Sound
„h 56K V.90 Modem
„h 1.44MB Floppy
„h 10/100 NIC
„h Keyboard
„h Scroll Mouse
$599 S/H Included
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Fry's is where all the H1-B's can be found at.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I just upgraded as well:

IWill KK266-R(RAID) mobo
TBird 1.4Ghz(266fsb)
256MB Micron PC133 CAS from Crucial
Geforce2 Ultra
Pair of IBM 30GB(75GXP model) drives in RAID 0 array
Plextor 12/10/32X CDRW
Pioneer 16X DVD

Plus a good 19" monitor, speakers, MS Optical wheel mouse, 100bT network card, etc...

Makes a great machine for gaming and ripping DVD's and stuff.

Fast as hell!  Beats the crap out of the P4 1.7Ghz rigs...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Alright, don't spread this around my AR brothers.... (you will put me out of business!)

PC Chips M810
AMD Athlon 1GHz (266)
256MB PC133 Memory
40GB Hard Drive
64MB Video (Onboard)
52X CD ROM
Mid ATX USB Case
32-Bit Sound
56K V.90 Modem
1.44MB Floppy
10/100 NIC
Keyboard
Scroll Mouse

$399 S/H Included

KILLER DEAL!!!  5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!
[url]www.pcinfinity.net[/url]

Nuckles.  [smash]
View Quote

[SIZE=3]Dammit, if I only knew how to put the shit in my computer!!!  [:(!]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#19]
they have a fry's here in houston as well, great price's!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top