Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 9:13:20 PM EDT
Now that PSA has 18" SS AR-10 uppers and stripped lowers (bastards), is it worth foregoing my already-done bolt gun?  I can't do both since buying a new Silencerco Saker 762, but I know someone will say it anyway.  My Savage is amazingly accurate and fun, but for the money I could get out of it, I could complete an 18" AR-10 to my liking too.  I already some Vortex glass for it, so I suspect for $1200, I could do the complete rifle and toss the Viper on it and be done.  I could probably get $1200 for the Savage, as built.

Is it conceivable to have similar accuracy, given the PSA barrels are on par with their 5.56 counterparts?  My buddy has an FN-barreled 16" 5.56 upper that will shoot with my Noveske all day long.  I was VERY impressed with it, especially considering what he paid versus what I did.  Anyhow, I don't shoot for groups on paper.  I like to ring steel at 400+ yards, so I don't need benchrest accuracy, just something that will hit 6"x6" steel at distance consistently.

Keep the Savage and enjoy it or sell it and build the AR-10?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Save and do both.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save and do both.
View Quote

I'll go with this, except build the "AR-10" with a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Save and do both.
View Quote

I'm terrible at saving.  I got the "want now's".
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You are comparing the accuracy potential of a bolt gun vs. a semi auto?

The savage built bolt gun will be more accurate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Save and do both.

I feel you, bro.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the feels: I'm partway into my 308 AR build but I want to buy more reloading components for my 5.56 ARs. Can't afford both at once, but I want it all and I want it now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Save and do both, just make AR10 in a different flavor
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm finding myself contemplating selling my .308 MVP now that I have my PSA 308.

Not sure though. I like having both
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
good info,I'm finding myself contemplating selling my .308 MVP now that I have my PSA 308. thanks http://bit.ly/1pFqtfC
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]
What scenarios are you planning for?

If your plan is to go on a tactical mission alone to take out tangos, and you will be running and gunning a lot...the AR10 might be a better choice.

If you are going to be taking up a snipers position inside your compound when the tangos attack...the savage might be best.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#11]
What are the stats of your Savage? I highly doubt you could get $1200 for it in the current market.

I vote save up for the AR.. everyone should have a good bolt gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a LR-308 DPMS and sold it to go with bolt guns for my precision rifle needs.  Semi-auto guns are much, much harder to shoot as accurately as a bolt gun due to all of the mass of the BCG moving around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top