Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/17/2003 5:57:39 PM EDT

Can we all say "dumbass". There, I knew you could.

www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2711548/detail.htm

Bug-Bomb Explosion Rips House Apart

19 Defoggers Create Gas 'Bomb'

POSTED: 11:43 AM PST December 17, 2003
UPDATED: 6:17 PM PST December 17, 2003

SAN DIEGO -- A City Heights home was destroyed Wednesday morning by bug bombs.

The owners of the house at 3715 Euclid Ave. reportedly set off 19 bug bombs in the home to exterminate insects, only to have the gas inside the containers fill the house until a pilot light ignited it, tearing the house apart.

The three people who lived in the house were outside at the time of the explosion and were unharmed. A neighbor, who is pregnant, was taken to the hospital after she felt nauseous from breathing the fumes.

Each bug bomb is designed to kill insects in a 700-square-foot area, and the home was reportedly only 470 square feet, said a San Diego police officer, who had originally been called to the neighborhood when somebody reported a truck having struck a house.

"It's the first time I've ever seen anything like this," said the officer. "When we first arrived, we were looking for a vehicle, and then the lady who lives in the house contacted us and told us there was no vehicle, that it was an explosion. So we asked her what happened, and she told us that she had placed the defogger bombs in her house. Fire had arrived and we reached the conclusion that there were 19 defoggers in there, which had created a bomb when the gases reached the pilot light."

The resulting explosion at 8:30 blew the rear of the home off, and a Chrismas tree, some ornaments still hanging from its branches, could be seen yawning out the rear of the building. The house was also knocked off its foundation.

Some of the windows in house were knocked from their frames but, remarkably, remained intact.

A nearby house was also damaged in the explosion when the rear wall fell onto its exterior.

The officer offered advice for homeowners who want to use bug bombs.

"If you're going to utilize this type of defogger, please read the directions," he said. "As you can see, more isn't better."
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:18:21 PM EDT
God! What is it with Kali? [ROFL2] Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:25:05 PM EDT
Check out the pics of the house- I shoulda known it was a mobile home.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:10:50 PM EDT
[LOL][whacko][ROFL] DAMN!! Wonder what their thought process was when they decided to use 19 defoggers. Must have had a hell of a bug problem for them to blow the whole damn house up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:25:37 PM EDT
[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:40:23 PM EDT
I should drive by there tomorrow and snap a few pics just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:10:57 PM EDT
Like this is the first time it's ever happened too. You'd think the word would have spread by now. [Nelson from the Simpson's]: Haa-Ha!! [Nelson]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:12:09 PM EDT
And I'll bet the place is still crawling with bugs!
Top Top