Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 5:52:16 AM EDT
I'm looking very hard at a brand new 20004 XB12R Firebolt for when I get back stateside.
I've Been riding on a 1974 Sportster since 1984 so I'm wanting to know:

a) Reliability?  With my dinosaur Sportster its ride one day work on it for 2 IF it starts
   Those first year ever electric start bikes can be a PITA.
b) Ride ability how much different is it going to be to ride the Buell vs the cruiser style?

c) Priceing?   The one in particular I'm looking at is stickered at $9,995.00

d) Other recomendations for similer bike 2003 or newer with a sport bike look but as much of an    
   upright riding position.  Biggest thing I'm looking at is reliability / low maintenance then looks

Sgt Bingham
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In that  price range I would also look at the 2005+ Triumph Speed Triple.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
How is the service and support in eastern Kansas?
I don't think I've even seen a dealer for triumph in the area.

Sgt Bing
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Only one dealer listed on the website in KS. I just go to my local motorcycle guy for my triumph. I live in the middle of nowhere and there are 3 places that will service my triumph within 40 minutes of here. YMMV:

Biker's Edge Cycle & Leather

1201 E. Central
Wichita

Tel : 316-267-6677, or 1-800-284-1428
Fax : 316-267-6687
www.bikersedge.net
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#4]
This website has a forum for Buell owners, like this one is for gun owners.
www.badweatherbikers.com

There you'll see any problems people have had with their Buells. I have the XB12S, but it's very similar to the XB12R. The seating position is leaning forward, but not so much weight on the wrists as you might experience on pure sportbikes. My reliability has been excellent and, according to the forums, other owners of the XB series Buells are having the same experience.

The part about a dealer network is so true. Closer dealers make certain brands more attractive but look at the quality of the dealers and the service personnel too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies and great info (been lurking on badweb for a little while)
Just recently stumbled upon a dealer in Ocala FL thats offering up 2006 XB12R's at $8,995.00 plus $595.00 Dealer setup and fees.  So even with shipping costs to my front door its still under MSRP.  Thought I'd pass on the Info for anyone else shopping as well as to see if this is the best deal availible on 2006 models.

Sgt Bing
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a reason that their under MSRP. Any Harley dealers that still carry Buell M/Cs have to be very competitive with their prices just to move them. It's not unusual to see one or two year old bikes still new on the showroom floor.  I can also tell you that we sell the bikes just above our cost. I would guess that it is not unusual among dealers. You might want to consider riding all the models. They have 2 new Long versions for bigger riders. The Firebolt is a cramped ride with even an average sized rider. They are very track orientated and not the most friendly for any kind of distance riding. The Lightning, in my opinion, is a much more comfortable ride without sacrificing any handling. You sit much more upright and dont wear out your wrists or back. Buell also has a new dual-sport bike very similar to the GS BMW series. We only have gotten one in so far and the owner was there waiting on it; so no test riding up the big dirt hill out back! Stay away from the 9's, the 12's are so much more powerful. Try to find a dealer that is close to you. If you have a problem you need to be close. The new bikes are much better than the earlier "tube-frame" bikes, of which i've owned 1 and raced half-a-dozen or so. I could go on for pages listing pro's and con's, but in a nutshell: ironhead XL = good resale....new Buell = no resale. Be prepared to take a loss if you buy one. It doesn't matter if its got 10 miles or 10000 miles. They depreciate as bad as japanese bikes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top