Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/1/2010 8:56:04 PM EDT
He has heard Panther arms are the best. Help me try to convince he can get a better gun for the same price. He is looking for a flattop, to mount a scope. I have mentioned Spikes, Colt, Larue, and Knight. Not really cheaper than the Dpms.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't fix stupid.

ETA. What will be the purpose of said rifle?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Stag?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems that RRA, DPMS, and Stag seem to be the brand you hear and see. Alot of shops have, then of course they inflate the price of the rifle. I'll stick with LMT, they're just as good as Colt, but cheaper and they go through the standard that Colt meets, that and the SOPMOD just makes it better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave him alone and just be glad he's not an anti.  The DPMS will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can't fix stupid.

Coyote hunting. 16-18 inch barrel max

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]
THis.

Eta: or help him build one
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My RRA's worked pretty well, but then again, when I bought it there weren't that many companies making middys in my price range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Stag makes the best rifles for the price, tell him to go that route.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't fix stupid.

Coyote hunting. 16-18 inch barrel max
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Actually, DPMS makes some really nice varmint rigs.  Might be where he is coming from.

For a traditional M4-type setup, clearly there are better choices at all price points.  I'd push Spike's for probably less than a DPMS carbine.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It seems that RRA, DPMS, and Stag seem to be the brand you hear and see. Alot of shops have, then of course they inflate the price of the rifle. I'll stick with LMT, they're just as good as Colt, but cheaper and they go through the standard that Colt meets, that and the SOPMOD just makes it better.

I would not spend $$ on a Colt rifle (unless the price was well below market)... but I will spend $$ on LMT or LaRue!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I tried to talk my buddies Army father out of a Judge, but I didn't get very far either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#12]
BCM, kid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The Spikes M4 for $800 with sights and two Pmags is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes there is no convincing people. I have a buddy that just bought an S&W M&P for $1900. I told him not to do it, that I could find him a way better deal, or a much better rifle for the money, but he came over with it about two hours later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never bought a complete AR, just stripped lowers that I build in about 30 minutes and a good quality upper in the style I want.  

Cheaper and built how I want it the first time.  

Tell him to quit drinking the DPMS cool-aid and do some research.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like my Spikes lower, despite the FCG pins walking out after two mags, but the whole Obama fiasco thing was icing on the cake. No more for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FCG pins walking out after two mags

Sounds like a good way to get yourself the dead. Spikes may make a good gun, but that little stunt they pulled after the election is and was bs. When I buy another stick, it will be a Stag or Colt.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
BCM = the best quality buy for your buck.

ETA

Oh yeah and if he needs convincing just show him "The Chart".
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing wrong with a heavy barrel Sweet 16 for tagging yotes and critters.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sometimes there is no convincing people. I have a buddy that just bought an S&W M&P for $1900. I told him not to do it, that I could find him a way better deal, or a much better rifle for the money, but he came over with it about two hours later.

Oh lawd! You could get a PWS Piston Battle Born rifle from USFA for a bill more than that!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like my Spikes lower, despite the FCG pins walking out after two mags, but the whole Obama fiasco thing was icing on the cake. No more for me.

I love my spikes lower, but fuck man that sucks. I could care less about the Obungo thing, I just shop somewhere else. That would blow my mind if my pins walked out though. Hope you got her all fixed up for free.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good way to get yourself the dead. Spikes may make a good gun, but that little stunt they pulled after the election is and was bs. When I buy another stick, it will be a Stag or Colt.

They didn't walk completely out, not enough to cause a malfunction, but enough to not be normal. It's an easy fix at least.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]
When the mind is set,  it is set.  

DPMS is OK, but not on my short list.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

DPMS is just fine for the price.  Yes, there are better ones out there...but just leave him be.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh lawd! You could get a PWS Piston Battle Born rifle from USFA for a bill more than that!

No shit right!!! Fuck Mark Fore and Strike. What you doin up so late???
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They didn't walk completely out, not enough to cause a malfunction, but enough to not be normal. It's an easy fix at least.

How did you fix it?  The only time I've had pins walk, I had the hammer spring in backwards.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS is just fine for the price.  Yes, there are better ones out there...but just leave him be.

Yup..

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday saw a local shop sell a DPMS carbine for $1300 to some guy who didn't know better
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup..

Run the hell out of my DPMS....No worries.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you fix it?  The only time I've had pins walk, I had the hammer spring in backwards.

This is a Spikes assembled pistol lower with whoevers lpk they use. I haven't actually fixed it yet. Just haven't shot that lower. I'm either going to get some KNS pins or some new milspec FCG pins.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Tell him to buy the DPMS and to drop a BCM group down in the gun and he'll be gtg.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yesterday saw a local shop sell a DPMS carbine for $1300 to some guy who didn't know better

Fools and their money. But when the fools get educated, guess where they'll never go again?

It's plain bad business.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Almost beats the jerk offs buying bare bone Glocks from the local pawn shop for $800+
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#36]
what's the knock on DPMS?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, that right there explains the price! MF&S is MSRP+20% It seems. Hell, CDNN has had M&P15's for $599. I even built up my Noveske barreled AR for around 2k. I am always up late nowadays, been playin lots of MW2 and checkin arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1

Go shooting with him after he gets it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Uhhhh.... Bushmaster

Should be close to DPMS prices.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost beats the jerk offs buying bare bone Glocks from the local pawn shop for $800+

Wow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, that right there explains the price! MF&S is MSRP+20% It seems. Hell, CDNN has had M&P15's for $599. I even built up my Noveske barreled AR for around 2k. I am always up late nowadays, been playin lots of MW2 and checkin arfcom.

Yeah they also got 30 dollar pmags ftw.. waitin for this damn larue contest over here...
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, what do you actually know besides what you've read? Have you had problems with any DPMS product? Do you have ANY experience with a DPMS product?

His money is his money. Let him sped it like he wants.

If what he buys is fucked up, help him fix it. If it ain't, eat a little of your own crow.

EDIT: Query intended for OP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Had a couple of DPMS carbines in the past, lot of rounds downrange, never a problem.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

panther arms sport tactical 685.00 from cabelas.. with my new cabelas card !
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they also got 30 dollar pmags ftw.. waitin for this damn larue contest over here...

Oh shit, forgot that it was the 1st. Guess im gonna have to watch their forum for it to go live.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#46]
For what he is looking to do with it I fail to see the problem with him buying a dpms rifle so long as the price is fair. My brother's ran very well and was pretty accurate. If he's wanting to shoot them at longer ranges, my suggestion would be a bolt action rifle (22-250 puts them down pretty well ). If he's calling them in close then he should have no problems with an AR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They put ten monkeys in a room with a pile of bananas in the middle.  As soon as any monkey goes to grab the bananas, they sprayed the entire room of monkeys with freezing cold water.  They took one monkey out and replaced it with a monkey who didnt know any better.  Monkey went for the bananas, and the other nine savagely attacked him.  They then replaced another monkey with a fresh monkey, who went for the bananas.  He was savagely attacked.  This went on and on until all ten monkeys were replaced, and none of the original monkeys remained.  They replaced one monkey with a fresh monkey, who went after the bananas.  The other nine monkeys attacked the new monkey, and they didnt really know why.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Oh I definetly will.
As far as the other comments. He has heard Bushmaster is the worst. They are not the greatest I know from experience, but definetly not anywhere near the worst.

BTW: He is next to me and wanted me to back up my word that DPMS are not the best. I am not saying they are the worst either. I have shot a bull barreled one with no FA and it seemed to shoot fine, just not as good as others.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I owned a DPMS....at one time. Sold it, would never purchase again. Both upper and lower fit were not the greatest and the finish was horrible (think spray can with multiple coats without drying time)

Just not a fan.

Who told him DPMS was the best???
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Oh I definetly will.
As far as the other comments. He has heard Bushmaster is the worst. They are not the greatest I know from experience, but definetly not anywhere near the worst.

BTW: He is next to me and wanted me to back up my word that DPMS are not the best. I am not saying they are the worst either. I have shot a bull barreled one with no FA and it seemed to shoot fine, just not as good as others.

Personally, I'd own a (newer production) DPMS rifle if I got it for the right price. If he is wanting to go pay full retail at a box store, his money could be spent on a superior product for the price. However, I'd have to swap the bbl for something with a 1:7 twist, but that's just my preference.

ETA: As for Bushmaster, that was the first firearm I ever purchased. A 16" M4A2 carbine. It now sports a Colt 20" bbl with a UBR. I've never had any issues with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top