Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:43:25 AM EDT

Either bruised or broke a rib sat night, I'm thinking its just bruised.  The pain sucks, its intense.. is there anything doctors can even do for this or should I just take it easy and tough it out?

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:48:06 AM EDT
Brusied ribs= suck it up

Broken ribs= go see a doc, could be/get worse
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:09:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 8:11:49 AM EDT by Lefthandpath]
I pulled a chest muscle and heard a nice cracking noise from my chest while moving a pallet by hand back in Oct.  After standing up I couldn't talk or even breathe for a minute or two.  It fucking hurt bad.  

Went to the Dr. a few days later and when mentioning I was concerned that I possibly cracked my ribs he told me "There is nothing we can do for your ribs really, if you want we could take an x ray which would just unnecessarily expose you to radiation and the treatment wouldn't be any different anyways, just rest and recover".  So he gave me a script for the prescription form of Aleve (literally, its the exact same thing), offered me a narcotic pain killer (work with machinery so can't take that without missing work would mean missed pay ) and just told me to take it easy.  It was around a month or so before I could lift anything over 30 lbs comfortably.  Even after that I still had to be careful for another month before I was back to what things were like before the injury.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:11:23 AM EDT
Ace bandage wrap around your ribs might help some.  I remember that happened to me when I was younger and it took about 6 months before the twinge of pain finally disappeared.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:12:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TireGuy01:
Brusied ribs= suck it up

Broken ribs= go see a doc, could be/get worse

This    

I brusied my ribs a few years back.   Hurts like Hell
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:13:59 AM EDT
The nurse practitioner at my doctor's office gave me a scrip for some Vicodin for a bruised rib in January.  I took half tabs a few times, now I have a nice Vicodin stash.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:14:51 AM EDT
They take months to hear normally.  Bruised mine a couple times, gun safe fell on me, and dirt bike wreck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:15:22 AM EDT
Seven times for me. Mt. Biking is hard on the ribs. If they don't flail when you inhale (ha) just tough it out. It does hurt like  a sonofabitch though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:15:58 AM EDT
Don't fucking sneeze.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:16:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2011 8:17:29 AM EDT by Ponyboy]
I've broken several ribs. Last one was last year playing baseball with the kids, dove for a ball and heard a crack. Kept playing but couldn't make a very accurate throw after that. I knew it was broken but I didn't go to the doc for a week until I had gotten so tired because I couldn't get a good nights sleep. Got some pain meds and could finally sleep but it was sore for at least a month.

Broke 3 in a MX crash once and that hurt for a good 6 weeks and probably for 2 years whenever I sneezed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:09:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Texdiver:

Don't fucking sneeze.

This.

Cut back on all possible activity; take whatever pain medication you can get.

Bruised/broken ribs hurt like hell. Most MD's don't even bother with X-rays anymore, unless you go to the ER,where they charge hundreds of dollars for them.

Take it easy. I hope they are 'only' bruised, because the recovery is about half the time, or less, and the pain will ease up much more quickly, too.

Top Top