Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2011 7:43:25 AM EDT

Either bruised or broke a rib sat night, I'm thinking its just bruised.  The pain sucks, its intense.. is there anything doctors can even do for this or should I just take it easy and tough it out?

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Brusied ribs= suck it up

Broken ribs= go see a doc, could be/get worse
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I pulled a chest muscle and heard a nice cracking noise from my chest while moving a pallet by hand back in Oct.  After standing up I couldn't talk or even breathe for a minute or two.  It fucking hurt bad.  

Went to the Dr. a few days later and when mentioning I was concerned that I possibly cracked my ribs he told me "There is nothing we can do for your ribs really, if you want we could take an x ray which would just unnecessarily expose you to radiation and the treatment wouldn't be any different anyways, just rest and recover".  So he gave me a script for the prescription form of Aleve (literally, its the exact same thing), offered me a narcotic pain killer (work with machinery so can't take that without missing work would mean missed pay ) and just told me to take it easy.  It was around a month or so before I could lift anything over 30 lbs comfortably.  Even after that I still had to be careful for another month before I was back to what things were like before the injury.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Ace bandage wrap around your ribs might help some.  I remember that happened to me when I was younger and it took about 6 months before the twinge of pain finally disappeared.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Brusied ribs= suck it up

Broken ribs= go see a doc, could be/get worse

This    

I brusied my ribs a few years back.   Hurts like Hell
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
The nurse practitioner at my doctor's office gave me a scrip for some Vicodin for a bruised rib in January.  I took half tabs a few times, now I have a nice Vicodin stash.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
They take months to hear normally.  Bruised mine a couple times, gun safe fell on me, and dirt bike wreck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Seven times for me. Mt. Biking is hard on the ribs. If they don't flail when you inhale (ha) just tough it out. It does hurt like  a sonofabitch though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't fucking sneeze.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've broken several ribs. Last one was last year playing baseball with the kids, dove for a ball and heard a crack. Kept playing but couldn't make a very accurate throw after that. I knew it was broken but I didn't go to the doc for a week until I had gotten so tired because I couldn't get a good nights sleep. Got some pain meds and could finally sleep but it was sore for at least a month.

Broke 3 in a MX crash once and that hurt for a good 6 weeks and probably for 2 years whenever I sneezed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't fucking sneeze.

This.

Cut back on all possible activity; take whatever pain medication you can get.

Bruised/broken ribs hurt like hell. Most MD's don't even bother with X-rays anymore, unless you go to the ER,where they charge hundreds of dollars for them.

Take it easy. I hope they are 'only' bruised, because the recovery is about half the time, or less, and the pain will ease up much more quickly, too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top