Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2003 7:17:55 PM EDT
Fox is playing "Die Hard", he actually said "Turn the fuck around." Cool!  I guess the FCC rules are actually in effect.

Yippee ki-yay motherfucker!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
[:O] My Virgin ears!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Fox is playing "Die Hard", he actually said "Turn the fuck around." Cool!  I guess the FCC rules are actually in effect.

View Quote

Was this when the cop showed up and he threw the body onto the car?

Also, did the bleep "Yippee ki-yay motherfucker!"?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Bruce is a hardcore cussing sailor!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Why is this cool? Because they are allowing more profanity on television. As the father of two young girls, I think it is disgusting. If you want profanity, rent a video or go to a bar.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#5]
And people look at me funny when I tell them we don't have broadcast or cable/sat TV in our house..."Hey- if I want to look at a toilet, I'll go in the bathroom, OK?" [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
For the broadcast version, Bruce Willis actually overdubed the line to:  "Turn the TRUCK around!"  That is the version that FOX played this evening.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
profanity coming along by surprize when you have children is bad, no question.
a fact of life is that swearing happens in the real world,and in certain circumstances, such as is depicted in most action movies, it can occur quite often.
i think it's nice that i'm not required to be deprived of seeing a movie as it was made because it was edited down because it "might" upset "some" viewers.
it might not be practical, but it would be great if some movies were released to tv in both the editted and uneditted versions.
as it stands, the movie is best released AS IT WAS MADE. it's up to the parents to check out the beginning of the movie or the guide to take note of adult language/nudity/violence/ etc. and for the parents to decide weather or not it is appropriate for their children to watch.
they also have blocks that you can program into your cable to keep kids from viewing certain rated things.
time and place for everything, even swearing. it shouldn't be everywhere, but it shouldn't be "banned" from all places either.
[red]  VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED [/red]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why is this cool? Because they are allowing more profanity on television. As the father of two young girls, I think it is disgusting. If you want profanity, rent a video or go to a bar.
View Quote

Ummm, so hearing the "f" word is bad, but letting "two young girls" watch die-hard is ok?[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the broadcast version, Bruce Willis actually overdubed the line to:  "Turn the TRUCK around!"  That is the version that FOX played this evening.
View Quote

Yeah, I figured that out after they completely deleted the "Yippee Ki-yay" line. [:(]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Umm you're the parent here. Watching what your kids listen to/watch is [b]YOUR[/b] job. Why is it not cool? Just because you said so or what? Maybe he doesn't have a problem with cussing, so why should he have to go to a bar or rent a video?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't fucking drink.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
[Beavis/Butthead]He said fuck. Ummm huh huhhuh huhuhuh. Cool[/Beavis/Butthead] [rolleyes] Retards.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
It's just a word.
Simply use it in moderation.

Am i the only one that watches Southpark?

somebody has a little sand in thier vagina.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure we will soon see PVR (home digital video recorder) units that can automatically censor shows as they are played.

edit: I can't spel
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm sure we will soon see PVR (home digital video recorder) units that can automatically censor shows as they are played.

View Quote

You obviously have never been to CA. [;D]

CW
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, is this considered progress?  Has the FCC raised the bar?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
A guy at work yesterday was telling me that per new FCC standards [i]fuck[/i] could be said on air if the context was non-sexual.  Thus,"turn the fuck around", according the rumor, would be cool while "motherfucker" would be bleeped.

I thought he was full of poo at the time he was telling me this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#18]
It'd be a sad day if "fuck" was allowed on network television. Heck, I was shocked the first time I heard "bitch." Couldn't believe I heard that word on broadcast TV.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:17:51 AM EDT
[#20]
back in 1955, my grandfather said that TV was the invention of the devil & it would corrupt many good people..., looks as though he was 110% correct !!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

My Mother asked me what a DVD was. I told her and asked if she wanted one. I got her a VCR some years ago and she was concerned she wouldnt be able to use all her tapes.

I got her a combo unit, [b]with a language filter[/b]. And yes it works well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It'd be a sad day if "fuck" was allowed on network television. Heck, I was shocked the first time I heard "bitch." Couldn't believe I heard that word on broadcast TV.
View Quote

Heard "shit" on NYPD blue the other day.  Didn't bother me.  Kids shouldn't be watching NYPD blue anyway.  Hell, they shouldn't be up that late.
The argument that certain things shouldn't be included in shows that are already unsuitable for children is stupid.  If your kid is up at 11Pm on a school night, watching a violent cop show (or die hard) with already adult content, I bet that they've heard "fuck" or "shit" more than once, and very likely directed at them by their parents.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to say but your "kids" learn all the "words" at school.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#24]
make the words normal, get rid of the stigma.  once it's normal it won't be such a big deal.

it's up to you if you want to use them..and possibly sound very white trash in the process.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I learned the words from my dad. So it made little sense to me when he beat my ass for saying things I'd heard him say.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#26]
It eludes me why people think the world a better place when they can hear the F-bomb on TV.

Are their vocabularies so limited, and their ability to verbalize thought so limited as to NEED that word???

You know what they say - "Profanity is just evidence of a weak mind expressing itself forcefully."

So true.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sorry to say but your "kids" learn all the "words" at school.  
View Quote

So, the proper response to that sad truth is to allow it on network TV???

[whacko]

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It eludes me why people think the world a better place when they can hear the F-bomb on TV.

Are their vocabularies so limited, and their ability to verbalize thought so limited as to NEED that word???

You know what they say - "Profanity is just evidence of a weak mind expressing itself forcefully."

So true.

View Quote

I disagree completely.  Profanity is used for effect.  If used properly, it gets the desired effect.  This intellecutal elitism from the "I don't use profanity" crowd is pretty pathetic.  You're so smart you don't have to cuss, yet you're too stupid to understand that it's just a word.  Allow my weak mind to provide you with another fitting quote.
"Sticks & stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.

View Quote

I disagree completely.  Profanity is used for effect.  If used properly, it gets the desired effect.  This intellecutal elitism from the "I don't use profanity" crowd is pretty pathetic.  You're so smart you don't have to cuss, yet you're too stupid to understand that it's just a word.  Allow my weak mind to provide you with another fitting quote.
"Sticks & stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".
View Quote

Norman -

Why is it that I ALWAYS net you when I post that "weak mind" quote??? [}:D] Its happened SEVERAL times.

Point is...

I can accomplish the same effect WITHOUT profanity.

[red]Fact is, if you've been paying attention around here AT ALL, you KNOW I can drive a person TO profanity without me ever using profanity.[/red]

[:D]

PROVING that a superior intellect DOES NOT need profanity to communicate themselves effectively.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#31]
heh heh heh

Hun nails it.

"Effect" indeed. Sure, you can use it in a job interview or in business dealings with me, and it'll have an effect all right.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#32]
So in summation what you are saying ETH is that you have judged her abilities to properly and effectively represent her clients in a court of law because she used the acronym for

F or
U nlawful
C arnal
K nowledge

interesting.
It surely must have power that word.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Profanity is certainly used for effect all right.

A young female attorney, who I would be proud to have as my own daughter, came up to me not long ago, and asked if I would send her any clients that I could not represent for one reason or the other.

She was leaving a large law firm and wanted to see if I might send her some referrals to help establish her new practice.

'Absolutely', I said.

As we continued to talk, she casually used the 'f' word in her conversation with me.

I was floored, to say the least.

Now she was about 25-27 years of age, using the 'f' word on a colleague who is old enough to be her father.

That shows me an absolute failure of good sense and discretion on her part.

I could have easily said, 'Pardon me, Miss, but I would never consider sending a referral to any attorney who didn't have enough common sense [u]not[/u] to use such a word in their ordinary conversation with a colleague.'

But I didn't.

Now, I think that it very unlikely that I will ever send her anyone but the dregs of society that enter into my office.

So, if the 'f' word is useful for effect, then her use of that word sure had an effect, although I doubt it's the effect that she thought it might have.

I suppose she thought it's use would impress me with how forceful or hard-nosed she would be in representing any referred clients.

It didn't work.

Eric The(Stern)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Hun, what did she look like[}:D]?  I agree on the proffessional dialogue but did you ever think she was trying to just be herself around you because she thought of you as a friend?  Maybe she even wanted a little of The Hun lovin'?

I curse like a Sailor, but then again I am a Sailor so I guess it balances out.  I really don't care and I can't wait until there's FFN on network TV cause I wanna see that blond on NYPD Blue buck nekkid!  Just censor what the kids can watch.  My little girl is 6 so she has no interest in anything that isn't aired on the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, or Disney channels.  Not to get off topic but that Sponge Bob character is annoying.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hun, what did she look like[}:D]?  I agree on the proffessional dialogue but did you ever think she was trying to just be herself around you because she thought of you as a friend?  .
View Quote

Not to speak for Eric, but I think that "being herself" was EXACTLY what ETH was afraid of.

Fact is, when you professionally refer a friend or colleague of yours to someone such as this female attorney, YOUR reputation is at stake.

If indeed she was "being herself", that ALONE is reason enuf to NOT refer a friend to a profane person.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#35]
According to what I heard on Rush last week, the new FCC rules allow the F word to be used as an adjective but not as a verb.

Not a prude, but I don't need it in my face, in my house in an unexpected manner either. The "shock value" is rapidly depleting while the plain old vulgarity and lack of respect remains the same.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#36]
playmakers has a few Shit's and maybe a fuck or 2, but if your letting anyone under like 14 watch playmakers WOW, also comedy central with southpark, bigger longer and uncut, UNedited, is played sometimes, also they had an eposode they said shit well over 100 times i think, they actually had a counter counting it!... i still dont see whats the big deal, crap and shit mean the same thing, can be used in the same context, but yet one is a NO-NO and the other is just fine?? i dont get it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
According to what I heard on Rush last week, the new FCC rules allow the F word to be used as an adjective but not as a verb.

View Quote

Well, that's great.

College English majors will now be able to find a job after graduating.

"Well, in this case, the F-word was used with the suffix "-ing" , before the plural possessive noun, making it a participle, and therefore an adjective. Had the actor used it as a direct object following an action verb, that would be unacceptable."

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Awww, fuck it.
Heheheh.

I do believe it is better not to use profane language...but sometimes it adds humor or spice to the conversation. Think I'm full of shit? Go fuck yourself!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Where is Bobby Knight when we need him? If there ever was a profane artist it is he! He can tell you every single use for the word FUCK! Chevy Chase is another good one. People lighten up a bit. If you don't like it don't say it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top