Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2009 9:21:49 PM EDT
Picked up a Belgian made Auto-5 today for $350. 85%-90% bluing, very nice wood.2 3/4 inch chamber, 28" vent rib barrel. High comb stock and fixed choke. Will post pics tomorrow. Bought at the Owatonna Cabelas, $375 out the door after tax. A gunshop near me tends to ask $500+ for the same thing when he has them so I figured at worst it was a fair price, been looking for an A5 for several years now, all I have found have had cracked wood or a $700 price tag. Wondering what people who "know" Brownings think of the price.

forgot to mention-it's the "Light Twelve" model
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Picked up a Belgian made Auto-5 today for $350. 85%-90% bluing, very nice wood.2 3/4 inch chamber, 28" vent rib barrel. High comb stock and fixed choke. Will post pics tomorrow. Bought at the Owatonna Cabelas, $375 out the door after tax. A gunshop near me tends to ask $500+ for the same thing when he has them so I figured at worst it was a fair price, been looking for an A5 for several years now, all I have found have had cracked wood or a $700 price tag. Wondering what people who "know" Brownings think of the price.

you GOT to have pictures!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I clicked on this hoping to see a Hi Power.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Without the pictures to see the true condition, I say you got a pretty good deal.  Like you, I rarely see them for less than $500 and I have a 60's version of that same gun ... I would not even consider selling it at that cost.  I think you will truly enjoy this gun.  They are nice to shoot and are built well.  There are options on the internet to order parts if needed, but if its a shooter (which I hope it is) you may not be interested in new wood or other parts.

Enjoy ...
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics added.

It will definitely be used, good-weather upland birds(pheasant and any partridge I might find) and of course clays for fun. I've fired these before and enjoyed them, decided it was time to buy when I saw this one. I passed on several Japanese made and one American made A5s as well, none had as nice of metal and all had cracked forearms. This was second best conditionwise. The better condition one was a nearly new condition slug gun with synthetic stock. Better shape but not as nice looking.

Edit-Just found out how the date codes work, made in 1971.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a nice looking gun.  I would say you got a hell of a deal compared to what I see them going for these days.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I see them going for 500-700 around me.
Beautiful gun. I love browning shotguns.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock doesn't look original.  That would hurt any collector value.  As a shooter though, that is a phenomenal deal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stock doesn't look original.  That would hurt any collector value.  As a shooter though, that is a phenomenal deal.

+1

Nice looking gun though!
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the greatest shotguns ever made.

Very, very nice.

HH
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a pretty nice piece of wood on that. The recoil pad doesn't look right to me though. I'd do some research and if it is not correct I'd try to have it replaced with a correct one. I think they came with hard plastic ones. I'd try numrich or something to get one. It is a good looking gun, I'd say you got a deal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Outstanding shotgun! Do a complete tear down, cleaning and inspection. The ones I've run across where not maintained very well, and had crap built up in places that need to be clean.

There is only one draw back to that gun and that is this, you carry that sucker for a day in the field and you'll look like Arnold when your finished.

I have a 30" barrel on mine and blow the heads off pheasents all the time. I don't run steel shot through it so I can't tell what it will do for duck hunting anymore, but back in the day it was my favorite for that.

Good Shooting!

(Edit) Sorry didn't see you mentioned the "Light Model' I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure it shoots as good as the standard A5.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do a complete tear down, cleaning and inspection. The ones I've run across where not maintained very well, and had crap built up in places that need to be clean.

Keep in mind that a "complete teardown" requires time, knowledge, and several properly fitting screwdrivers and punches.  The A-5 isn't modular like a modern shotgun, and isn't meant to have the receiver components taken out for routine cleaning.  If the action operates smoothly, I would just clean the barrel, inspect the recoil spring/friction ring assembly, and call it a day.  Also, don't let the bolt fly forward without a barrel installed.  This can seriously damage the bolt/receiver.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
WIN
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Excellent deal but is the stock... um.. well.... stock?
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

right!! usually the Monte Carlo stocks were/are for trap shooting. i think at one time Browning did make a Trap grade A-5 but i think thats the first Monte Carlo stock i've ever seen on an A-5. nevertheless it's a beautiful gun and an awesome price you paid!!!  
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#16]

I'm jelous, I was looking at some of those the other weekend. Guy had a mint new in box belgium made 20 gauge for 1200 bucks! damn it was nice though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 1972 Belgium A5 Magnum Vent Rib 3" for $400.
100% Looks like it was never shot.

Don't know what I'll ever do with it as I don't hunt.
Really pretty shotgun.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#18]
High comb, looks like it is set up for trap.  What is the choke ?

You can probably get a drop-in barrel fitted for choke tubes, I wouldn't tap the original barrel.  The recoil-operated A-5 also has a bronze ring around the mag tube that you invert to switch from high-brass (heavy) loads to light (trap & skeet) loads.  The gun probably won't cycle light loads when set to 'Heavy' and you SHOULD NOT fire heavy loads when it is set to high.

Choate IIRC used to make a sythetic stock/handguard, which is a good idea, since the hard recoil of the gun used to eat up the old stocks, especually in the wrist area where it meets the reciever tang.

They are cool guns with an awesome history.  I had a sixteen gauge and regretted selling it off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Barrel is a modified choke. I wondered whether the stock was original or not myself, but decided at the price for a "working gun" it didn't matter too much. Replacement stock goes a long way toward explaining the low price, but it looks like I still didn't get hosed. If the gun shoots as good as it looks I'll be happy. As far as the ring system, I knew a bit about it, but not much. Still trying to get the manuakl to download from Browning's site.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
nope you didn't get hosed by ANY means!  that gun is gonna get you ALOT of birds ! after awhile you can shop around for the original type stock for it to restore it to the original appearance. boy i'm jealous now!!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like I got a bit better deal then I thought at $350 for this one. Went into the gunshop today to get an elevator for the rear sight on one of my .22s(second old one I have bought that had no elevator, same model). Looking at the shotguns while he was looking for the part I saw an A5 identical to mine that looked to have been reblued-slight pitting near the lettering on the barrel and the forearm, while not cracked, had several of the diamonds gouged out of the checkering.
Price? $899
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
you did real good.....

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Beautiful gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top