Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 9:30:52 AM EDT
I need help with this POS and I am not getting replies in the Handguns forum, so here goes.
I have an Argentine contract BHP pistol with a weird problem.  When the fired case is extracted, it hits on the following bullet and is knocked from the extractor before it is fully clear of the chamber.  The result is sometimes what looks like a failure to extract, altho when hand cycled the pistol works just fine.
 I have replaced the extractor, spring, recoil spring, and tried several different mags including a new Browning 10 shot mag with no results.  It does it with all types of ammo (mostly ball) that I have tried.  It appears that the round ontop of the mag is moving forward.  Any help would be appreciated.  Ops
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
call Kurt Wickmann, used to work for Novak's and is the resident HP expert

[url]www.KWGW.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
[s]I have to ask, have you tried different mags? It sounds like the mag lips are to open.[/s]
edited because I am a dumbass and didnt read the whole post before my reply....
CH
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Try pinching the mag lips closer together...

The ONE and only issue I had with my Argie 1911 was that it didn't like MecGar mags... Had to do a little dremeling in that case...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Ops, check here:
[url]http://www.fnhipower.com [/url]

Particularly look for Stephen Camp, he's very knowledgeable about the hipower.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
ummm  reread his post he has tried new mags.

mike
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My problem with my FM Hipower was the shitty trigger... was close to 30 pounds - I shit you not.  I took it to our Gunstock Gunsmith - Brasspile - and he took it down to less than 5 pounds with a 99 cent file from Walmart.  I tell you this because he knows those pistols inside and out, drop him a line, I bet he can tell you what's wrong.  And mine loves MecGar mags.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Mec-Gar is the world's largest OEM of pistol mags. Most likely if you had a real original Brown HP mag, it probably came from Mec-Gar.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
A common problem with HP clones ( Arg FM, FEG etc). I have owned several and taken the steps you outlined with only limited sucess. A real Browning extractor and extractor spring are best bets. May also be a rough chamber. Try polishing it with rouge and drill/dremel.
My recommendation is what I did, sell it and buy a real Browning. It may be somewhat painful, but a fix for sure.
For further reading.
[url]http://fnhipower.com/modules.php?name=Forums[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Problem apparently solved.  I had polished the underside of the slide to remove a bunch of tool marks.  Apparently the aera is left rough on purpose as the rough surface will pull the bullet to the rear of the mag as the slide retracts.  I roughed the area up and tried out the gun, 4 double taps and not a hiccup.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Ops
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I'm glad to see that you found the problem, and remedied it. Thanks for the warning, I would've never thought that polishing out the rough spots in a small area would cause so much heartache & grief. But your experience, reiterates the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top