Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 5:37:05 AM EDT

Monday, March 20, 2006
By Scott Norvell
Stairway to Nowhere, No Whites Allowed
June 02, 2005
The public art committee in Portland, Maine is resisting the gift of a bronze statue because some of its members say the city already has enough statues of white people, according to the Boston Globe.

The statue, to be donated by the owner of a local minor league baseball team and placed outside the stadium, depicts a family of four going to a game. In an article about the statue, the local Portland Press Herald quoted a member of the public committee that must approve its placement as saying that the city had enough "white folks on pedestals."

Predictably, many locals didn't take too kindly to the comments, calling the committee arrogant, out-of-touch and ungracious. Comments to the paper's website have run overwhelmingly along the lines of those of Melissa Wolf of Scarborough, who said:

"I'm not racist, but there's nothing wrong with white people. Every city is different, and here, we're the majority. I don't see why diversity has to be shoved down our throats."
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]

i don't even know what to say about this...

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
every year i am seeing more and more of a backlash against all the diversity and "tolerance" crap. even the so called "minorities" are growing tired of it.

Except when it's here at arfcom...where you get banned for saying mean things about minorities.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
lol, Maine is so racist.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer

hey? what that buggy doing in my yard?

They ditched it after they used it for a drive by shooting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
every year i am seeing more and more of a backlash against all the diversity and "tolerance" crap. even the so called "minorities" are growing tired of it.

Except when it's here at arfcom...where you get banned for saying mean things about minorities.

I talk smack about the amish all the time. Nothing bad has happend to me yet.

Ok, ok--guess what this is:

Clip, clop, clip, clop BANG BANG BANG clipppityclop, clippityclop, clippityclop.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Personally for me, I think it is okay to this diversity BS, but the news media just hype it way too much.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
lol, Maine is so racist.

I don't recall any racism when  I grew up in Maine in the 80's, we would jokingly make fun of the French but more than half the Maine population is of French Canadian descent.   I can only recall one black family who lived in my town of Sanford and one of the kids was a good friend of my brother. The only place you could find any real numbers of blacks was in Portland and there wasn't huge numbers of them neither by any stretch.

Figure's it would be some Libtards in Portland who would make such statements but then again I don't consider Portland to be part of Maine neither.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#12]
How do they know they are white if the skin on the statue is bronze?  Maybe they are hispanic, or asian, or muslim.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, ok--guess what this is:

Clip, clop, clip, clop BANG BANG BANG clipppityclop, clippityclop, clippityclop.

an amish cop working as a dog catcher? <that would explain the box of jebidiah's home cooked doughnuts under the seat.

Close.  An Amish drive-by, yo!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if you smack them with a Maglite or make "dirka dirka" comments.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How do they know they are white if the skin on the statue is bronze?  Maybe they are hispanic, or asian, or muslim.

Eventually, it turns green, so it isn't black, white, hispanic. It's SPACE ALIEN
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]
what exactly is "white bronze" ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey, now...Our three Hispanic guys got together with the black dude and have been trying to get a statue built for years now.

We have to be competitive,  word is Hew Hampshire has a Muslim now!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey, now...Our three Hispanic guys got together with the black dude and have been trying to get a statue built for years now.

We have to be competitive,  word is Hew Hampshire has a Muslim now!

yep. we can't really be racist in ME. there isn't anyone to be racist against. maybe canadians...

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Up yours, cracka!
They know!

ETA: Muslim is not a race, it's a religion.
I think you mean Arab.
Read, por favor
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I talk smack about crazed Albanian dwarves all the time.

I expect to blow up any day now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not yet been banned for my obvious hatred of all Swedes!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Now, now, here's a Swede that needs not any hatred:

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now, now, here's a Swede that needs not any hatred:

myoldrifles.com/100.0393.3.jpg

Nice - here's his twin (albeit a much shitter picture I just took).

Mine's in the 7000 range - how about yours?  

Swedish PRODUCTS are okay - like their guns, cars and chocolate.  It's their people I don't like.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The Belgians are pretty much fair game, too (waffles, overrated chocolate, the Official Whore House of both France and Germany, etc.)...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#26]
From the local news:

"CITY OK'S STATUES
Statues depicting a family of four heading off to the ballpark didn't pass muster with Portland's art committee. But the City Council brushed those concerns aside and voted unanimously last night to accept the bronze statues. Portland Sea Dogs owner Daniel Burke offered the statues as a gift. They will be placed outside Hadlock Field. The city art committee voted 6-to-1 to reject the gift, saying among other things the family depicted by the statues didn't reflect the city's modern diversity. That led to a firestorm of criticism of the committee itself. Burke's lawyer says the statues will be completed and ready to be installed within two months. "

It's a friggin gift, but then again, what would you expect from an "art committee" from Portland.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top