Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 8:20:27 AM EDT
www.local6.com/news/2689421/detail.html

I guess he was just freaked out by a naked guy swinging a samurai sword.

Fired 14 times......thank God the other cop was wearing a vest.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a technical term within policing for when this sort of thing happens.  To the untrained ear it sounds something like " oops ".  When one hears this it is common knowledge among police officers and supervisors worldwide that something very very not good has happened.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Just read another version of the article.
The shooter was a woman cop...not that it matters.

My problem here is that anyone that dumps 14 rounds ...only hits the perp in the legs...and shoots a friendly better not ever continue to keep that job...she screwed the pooch. I would never trust her in a stress situation again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like somebody broke a range rule or three...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought NYC cops were limited to 10 round magazines. If this is true, then it looks like a case of spray-n-pray with 1 reload involved.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]
My buddy works the bronx area, Ill ask him what he thinks about all this.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought NYC cops were limited to 10 round magazines.
View Quote

I haven't heard that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought NYC cops were limited to 10 round magazines. If this is true, then it looks like a case of spray-n-pray with 1 reload involved.
View Quote

LE having to abide by a gun law we all have to , I doubt that.(not ment as a slam of any kind it's fact LE is exempt from damn near every gun law we have to follow.)

On another note. If it wasn't for the officer receiving FF I bet this would never have made the news. After all the BG used something other than a gun to commit this crime.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#8]
A very bright police cheif once said "I have been forced to drop weight and height standards. I no longer recuit exclusively from the ranks of former Marines, navy SEALS, Army Rangers, Lumber jacks, and Long shore men. I have been forced be to hire [i] a cross section of the community [/i]"

This is the end result of affirmative action.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Completely wrong.  They can have hicaps.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Completely wrong.  They can have hicaps.
View Quote

When NYPD first swithed to autos, around 1994, they were limited to both FMJ ammo and 10 round mags.  Many people are uaware the policy has since changed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A very bright police cheif once said "I have been forced to drop weight and height standards. I no longer recuit exclusively from the ranks of former Marines, navy SEALS, Army Rangers, Lumber jacks, and Long shore men. I have been forced be to hire [i] a cross section of the community [/i]"

This is the end result of affirmative action.
View Quote

I don't always agree with your assessments, but you are spot on with this one. That police "cheif" knew what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's how I imagine this happened.  Two cops go to the apartment door, One on each side. They knock on door and naked-crazy sword-guy rushes out BETWEEN them. Chick who should have never been a cop starts shooting, forgetting her partner is 3' 6" away down range.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#14]
So she got 4 hits out of 14. You go girl! At least she didnt threaten to shoot him again once he was down.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Hell, she did just about as well as the guy who shot the lawyer on TV over here in CA. Maybe they were using the same pistol [;D]

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#17]
[b]At least that officer went home safely that night[/b]

Oh, wait, that doesn't work.  One officer didn't go home safely.

BAN THE GUNS!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good shootin'Tex! [rolleyes]

But remember women police officers excel at interpersonal skills and are therefore able to avoid confrontations [rolleyes]
View Quote

Apparently not in this case.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]
It must suck having some stupid bitch for a partner that YOU KNOW will shoot you or somehow get you hurt one day.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When NYPD first swithed to autos, around 1994, they were limited to both FMJ ammo and 10 round mags.  Many people are uaware the policy has since changed.
View Quote

Actually, the above happened during a 'trial testing' of 9mm semi-autos. When the switch actually went down no one had 10 round mags. This of course was done for political reasons and was done by the present commisioner kelly, in his earlier run as commisioner. What a moron.. :) It took a few years as I recall before we were issued Speer Gold Dots, another political move.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#21]
It's completely clear to me that at least one NYC police officer can't shoot for crap.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, the suspect in this nearly decapitated his wife. He cut off one of here hands, and hacked the other one multpiple times, allegedly with a sword.

A neighbor heard a commotion, and knocked on the apt. door. The suspect, naked, speechless, and with a "thousand yard stare" answered the door. He stood silent for a few seconds before closing it. The neighbor saw the woman, dead or unconcious on the floor. He called the cops.

The cops knocked on the door. The suspect answered the door, attacked the male cop, a 7 year officer. The suspect was naked, blood covered, and had an "object" in his hand.

The suspect then attacked the female cop, a 17 year officer, and was shot twice in the legs. The male officer was shot twice, 1 leg and 1 chest.

I wonder if the rounds that struck the suspect went right through and then struck the other officer.

Her shooting seems sub-par, but at least she was able to get her gun out.

Also that NY-2 trigger doesn't help. Under stress tigger pulls often involve all of the fingers contracting, not the trigger finger acting independently. So that tends to "drop" the muzzle. Having a 12 lb trigger only makes that worse. I would bet that the rounds that missed went into the floor in front of the suspect.

The 10 round thing isn't true. I believe that when they went to semi-autos the 10 round mags, were a proposed policy, that was changed before any 10 rounders were actually issued.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if she told the guy after she shot him "I'm gon shootcha gehn! I'm gon shootcha gehn!"
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, the above happened during a 'trial testing' of 9mm semi-autos.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.  I remember reading about it in the gun rags when it was happening.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The NYPD reluctanly began the 9mm transition ONLY because of legislation written by state reps at the request of the PBA.

When the brass saw they lost as a way of asserting control over the rank and file they required that all pistols be issued with 10 rd magazines.

This requirement only lasted a couple of years when a new administration took over they allowed the hi-caps.

The Gold Dot was authorized in 1999.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#26]
We had a situation near Seattle a while ago wheretwo cops cornered an armed robber in a department store hallway. One cop on each end of the hallway.

Suspect went to ground, cop shot him dead. I don't think any rounds went hear the other cop, either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The NYPD reluctanly began the 9mm transition ONLY because of legislation written by state reps at the request of the PBA.
View Quote

Never heard about this, nor did I care. The department was moving to 9mm's nontheless.

When the brass saw they lost as a way of asserting control over the rank and file they required that all pistols be issued with 10 rd magazines.

View Quote

Not true in the least, I got my "Department" issued 9 mm in April of 95. Came with 3 15 round mags.

This requirement only lasted a couple of years when a new administration took over they allowed the hi-caps.
View Quote

Testing of 9mm pistols for patrol started in 94,   those were issued with 10 round mags. After it was determined that we would switch to the 9mm's, 15 round mags were issued with the guns. The guns were bought for us via funds from NY State, though we had to pay for the night sights, leather goods, etc.

The Gold Dot was authorized in 1999.
View Quote

I forget the year we actually got the Gold Dots, but.. best I can recall it was before 99.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top