BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 3:42:06 AM EDT
Broncos' Darrent Williams gunned down in limo
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
01/01/2007

Broncos right cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed this morning after leaving a nightclub near 11th and Grant in a limousine. The team confirmed the death of Williams.

A female passenger also was shot, according to a source familiar with Williams.

Williams was 24.

"I learned from the Denver Police Deprtment that this incident has occured," Williams' agent, Jeff Griffin said early Monday morning. "No other details have been released. I sincerely offer my condolences and feelings to his family."

Williams was the Broncos' starting right cornerback and played his final game for the team in a 26-23 overtime loss to the San Francisco 49ers that eliminated Denver from the playoffs on New Year's Eve.

www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4931937
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:43:31 AM EDT
DAYYUM.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:45:12 AM EDT
Agent: Broncos Player Killed in Drive-by Shooting
Bullets Fired into Limo at 11th & Speer
Sunday, 31 Dec 2006, 5:32 PM MST

DENVER  --  The agent for Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams tells Fox 31 Sports that Williams was shot and killed early New Year's morning in a drive-by shooting in downtown Denver.

Denver police say one vehicle pulled up next to a limousine at 11th and Speer just before 2:00 a.m. Monday.  Investigators say someone fired shots into the limousine.

Investigators say two other people were also shot.  They went to St. Anthony Central Hospital for treatment.  Authorities have not released their conditions, or the identities of any of the victims.

Police had not released any suspect information as of 5:30 Monday morning.  They were talking to witnesses in order to get solid suspect and vehicle descriptions.

Police shut down Speer Blvd. during the investigation.

www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=1932102&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:46:01 AM EDT
Just broke it on Fox and friends. Damned shame......
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:47:19 AM EDT
So, was it someone who lost money on the game, or just some random dickhead?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:54:25 AM EDT
Hit?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:56:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bytor94:

Probaly out at some nightclub, acted like an ass to the wrong person
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:42:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:43:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
i am betting there are some "thug" issues involved.

Way to go out on a limb, there, Beer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:45:53 AM EDT

guess that whole "I wanna be a gangster" thing backfired a wee bit.

Although that's not a bad area of town, something with the nightclub I"m sure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:49:42 AM EDT

keep'n it real.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:00:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

First it was rappers, now NFL'ers are the gangstas.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:06:14 AM EDT
Al Qaida?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:08:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:

BINGO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:14:38 AM EDT

Someone didn't like his hair.              
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:24:19 AM EDT

That happens a lot in "The ATL".  

Someone disses another person (or his "lady"), dissed individual gets his revenge with a drive by.

Usually waits for them in the parking lot.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:27:48 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:29:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-AK:

First it was rappers, now NFL'ers are the gangstas.

and NBA'ers cant forget them
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:31:40 AM EDT

Damn.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:42:24 AM EDT
Bush did it

I've always wanted say that first
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:01:35 AM EDT
T00pock did it!

And I couldn't possibly give a shit less.  (these things happen)
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:16:02 AM EDT
you guy,s are forgetting the obligatory "NOT MY BABY!!"
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 7:23:27 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]
I still get a kick that these overpaid sports-brats get the time of day whether playing ball or playing gangstas.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:22:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hellhound:

Someone disses another person (or his "lady"), dissed individual gets his revenge with a drive by.

My guess is he was paying his book maker some "respect" on the "down low" but wouldn't swallow.

"Swallow THIS, biotch!"  

Oh, those Hip Urbanites™ they crack me up with their silly antics!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:25:56 AM EDT

WINNER!!!!..........We have a WINNER!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:28:26 AM EDT

Yeap.  Happens a lot south of ATL in some questionable neighborhoods around here.  A local nightclub that's changed names about seven times over the past couple years is pretty notorious for that - cops find out in the end, some dude talked shit to another dude who took it personally and started bustin' caps in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:34:27 AM EDT
You live by it...you die by it...right Tupac? Biggie Smalls?

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:36:04 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:36:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:39:18 AM EDT
Tea Enn Bhea
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:54:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HillBillySasquatch:

When keep'n it real..... goes wrong!  

Fixed - fo shizzle!

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:21:26 AM EDT
Somebody mad that Broncos lost a game that they should have won- and which they had bet a lot of money on...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:25:47 PM EDT

Caliber?

Certainly was enough penetration with 12 rnds fired, 1 dead and 2 others hit.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:29:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TUMOR:

WINNER!!!!..........We have a WINNER!!!

I'm betting on this one, too!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:43:50 PM EDT
When keeping it real goes wrong.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:44:09 PM EDT
So let me get this straight.

The guy's a sports star.

He's Black.

He's out at a nightclub (on New Year's Eve of all things!)

All of a sudden the "gangsta" accusations come out.

I think we need to let the investigation take place before we point fingers.

You folks are so quick to judge sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:50:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JasonFRC:

The guy's a sports star.

He's Black.

I think we can see this one coming from a mile off. I'm sure he was an angel and the epitome of the male role model.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 2:56:38 PM EDT by thedoctors308]

Originally Posted By Milldude:
Just broke it on Fox and friends. Damned shame......

Everytime another one of these thugs get's whacked, it brings joy to my heart.
If half these SOBs couldn't play sports, they'd have been in jail a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:56:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 2:56:43 PM EDT by Hellhound]

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

The guy's a sports star.

He's Black.

I think we can see this one coming from a mile off. I'm sure he was an angel and the epitome of the male role model.

Are you talking about Ray Lewis?

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 3:00:37 PM EDT by Blue_Monkey]

DENVER (AP) -- Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was killed early Monday when his white stretch Hummer was sprayed by bullets after a nightclub dispute following a New Year's Eve party.

Police have no motive and no indication the 24-year-old player was targeted in the drive-by shooting of the limousine. The burst of violence occurred hours after the Broncos were eliminated from playoff contention.

"All of us are devastated by this tragedy," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said in a statement. "To lose a young player, and more important, a great young man such as Darrent Williams, is incomprehensible. To lose him in such a senseless manner as this is beyond words."

A little after 2 a.m., the limousine was fired on from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, hitting three people, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said. As many as a dozen bullet holes were visible on the driver's side of the vehicle. One window was blown out.

Another man and a woman who were shot were not identified. They were taken to St. Anthony Central Hospital.

Coach Mike Shanahan said the killing left him "speechless with sadness."

"We all know that Darrent was an excellent player, but as a person, he was a first-class young man who brightened every room with his smile, attitude and personality," Shanahan said. "I cannot express how heartsick I feel at this loss."

Jackson said there was a dispute at a nightclub several blocks from the shooting where Williams and his group had attended a party. He said the argument didn't specifically involve Williams, according to witnesses, and the confrontation wasn't physical, just taunts.

"Why this happened, we're not sure," Jackson said.

Police were searching for a white Suburban or Tahoe with dark-tinted windows. Jackson wouldn't identify any of the other passengers nor would he confirm whether any other Broncos players were in the limo, which can hold 23 people.

The club identified by police advertised a New Year's Eve event celebrating the birthday of Denver Nuggets basketball player Kenyon Martin. Mark Warkentien, Denver's vice president of basketball operations, spoke with police, who instructed him not to comment, team spokesman Eric Sebastian said.

The club -- variously called Shelter or Safari -- is on the second floor of an building in a once-seedy stretch south of downtown that has a growing number of trendy bars, clubs and restaurants. Outside, the building was unmarked except for a big sign from a former occupant, Jonas Bros Furs. Inside, the ceiling was strung with Christmas lights and set off with several fireplaces.

Hours after the shooting, the limo sat in a snowbank beside Speer Boulevard, a main street through downtown. Police and technicians worked amid snow and ice from recent storms, using small yellow plastic markers to indicate possible evidence.

The previous active NFL player to die was Thomas Herrion of San Francisco. He had a heart attack following an exhibition game in Denver on Aug. 20, 2005.

Williams was a second-round draft choice in 2005 out of Oklahoma State and teamed with Champ Bailey to give Denver one of the NFL's top cornerback tandems. Williams finished the season with 88 tackles, 78 of them solo, and four interceptions.

His college coach, Mike Gundy, called the death a "tragic loss for the Broncos family, Oklahoma State University and anyone who knew Darrent Williams. It's a loss that goes far beyond the football field."

Players and coaches didn't have to report to work Monday but about 20 of them gathered at team headquarters to console each other, including receiver Javon Walker, who the Rocky Mountain News said was in the limo when Williams was killed.

"Any time you lose a guy who was close to everyone, it hurts," punter Paul Ernster said. "From the get-go, he was like one of your good friends."

Anthony Criss, Williams' high school football coach in Fort Worth, Texas, said: "When he was younger, he always gravitated to the wrong crowd. I remember he went to church and the minister was talking to him about needing to pray and stop hanging around with the wrong people, and he started straightening up and doing the right thing."

In December, Williams spoke of returning to his hometown this offseason to talk to youngsters about staying out of gangs. Williams, who has two young children in the Fort Worth area, recently talked to Criss about establishing a free football camp for youth players.

"He wanted to be a good parent, a good father, a good example for his kids," Criss said. "He will be missed."

Last April, Nuggets guard Julius Hodge was shot while driving on Interstate 76 in Denver. In 2003, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter, who played at Colorado State, was shot outside a Denver sports bar.

"Since then, I carry myself in a different type of way," Porter said Monday. "I respect my situation whenever I go out. I take a whole different outlook when I go out. I make sure I feel like I'm safe and if I'm not, I'm not going."

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 3:05:02 PM EDT by JasonFRC]
Hmm.  

From that article, it sounds like his group left the scene of the altercation.  

Doesn't sound like "keeping it real" to me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:07:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MRW:
murder is murder, even if the vic was undesireable

+1

Some glib s.o.b.'s around here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:12:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 3:19:45 PM EDT by newracer]

The guy's a sports star.

He's Black.

+1
A lot of the people on here make me sick.

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

If half these SOBs couldn't play sports, they'd have been in jail a long time ago.

He was not a thug. Graduated from OSU in 3 1/2 years and was a positive role model. I agree there are not many out there but he was one of them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:17:17 PM EDT
R.I.P. Yo

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:32:14 PM EDT
sounds like a hit to me.

I wonder who he pissed off?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:48:31 PM EDT
We know it happens in Atlanta, but who cares, this time it was in Denver.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:58:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

Gee, don't candycoat it. Tell us how you really          feel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 5:11:08 PM EDT by ElCamino]

Originally Posted By newracer:

He was not a thug. Graduated from OSU in 3 1/2 years and was a positive role model. I agree there are not many out there but he was one of them.

Except of course for that part where he got shot after a nightclub altercation....

The problem isn't this one guy or what he did.

It's the culture where you're rollin' with your crew out to the clubs, and someone gets disrespected, time to do some shootin'.

If these folks had any brains they would get far away from the "hip-hop" thug lifestyle before something bad happened to them, like say getting shot in a drive-by.

Of course, if he did that, he'd be accused of "not keeping it real" all the way up to being "Uncle Tom".

Oh well.

ETA:

The reason the words "thug life" come up so easily when hearing about this are because we've all heard this story before.  We all know how it ends.

Up until the story came out where his crew had an altercation with somebody else's crew, I was perfectly willing to accept that he was on his way home from a responsible New Year's celebration and randomly attacked, but that's not how these things usually go down.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:39:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ElCamino:

Originally Posted By newracer:

Except of course for that part where he got shot after a nightclub altercation....

The problem isn't this one guy or what he did.

It's the culture where you're rollin' with your crew out to the clubs, and someone gets disrespected, time to do some shootin'.

If these folks had any brains they would get far away from the "hip-hop" thug lifestyle before something bad happened to them, like say getting shot in a drive-by.

Of course, if he did that, he'd be accused of "not keeping it real" all the way up to being "Uncle Tom".

Oh well.

ETA:

The reason the words "thug life" come up so easily when hearing about this are because we've all heard this story before.  We all know how it ends.

Up until the story came out where his crew had an altercation with somebody else's crew, I was perfectly willing to accept that he was on his way home from a responsible New Year's celebration and randomly attacked, but that's not how these things usually go down.
+1 They dont try to distance themselves from this lifestyle. And if they do they are called sellouts and the like.
Top Top