Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/24/2002 10:47:07 AM EDT
From Jane's: [img]http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/gallery/warminster/images/0123816.jpg[/img] British Army sniper sporting a thermal imaging-protected ghillie suit and armed with Accuracy International’s L96A1 7.62mm sniper rifle. Photo: Patrick Allen/Jane’s
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 11:03:57 AM EDT
Is he wearing the ghillie inside that sleeping bag?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:18:42 PM EDT
I'm sorry, but if what I have to wear that to hide from what I want to shoot, I probably shouldn't be creeping it (maybe call in an airstrike instead.). Until then, I'll stick with [url=http://community.webshots.com-END Of Script Attempt-
s/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=23638513&photoID=29552752&security=NztEHgwVeu]mine[/url].
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:03:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By subvertz: I'm sorry, but if what I have to wear that to hide from what I want to shoot, I probably shouldn't be creeping it (maybe call in an airstrike instead.). Until then, I'll stick with [url=http://community.webshots.com-END Of Script Attempt-
s/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=23638513&photoID=29552752&security=NztEHgwVeu]mine[/url].
View Quote
Your's looks really good. The only thing it lacks that the Brits above has is Thermal imaging resistance. But I agree that they look like shit compared to yours. Oh, the airstrike is a good idea too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:05:07 PM EDT
Yes, it may be ugly, but . . . . if you have ever looked through a thermal imaging device (like on a Bradley) you would understand just how significant that feature is. As you scan a tree line with the thermals, you can actually distingish individual soldiers a great distance away. It gives new meaning to the expression "naked and vunerable." Basically if someone is looking for a sniper through thermals, the sniper is f*%ked. Think of it this way: thermals are to a sniper, what dogs are to a LRRP.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:21:53 PM EDT
Yeah, thats what I'm saying. If you need thermal imaging resistanc to hide from what you are hunting, you are hunting it the wrong way! If they are already looking for you with thermal, you have lost your element of surprise, the snipers main advantage. Having thermal resistance isn't bad, but all by itself like this isn't good! I wonder who the British would be sniping at that employs thermal imaging? [img]www.ehomebook.com/users/subvertz/images/overhead.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 2:51:54 AM EDT
re: British Ghillie suit Looks like there was a strong Muslim influence.... A new fashion wave, perhaps??? [;)]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:00:08 AM EDT
Wow, is the arm chair commando-ism comming out on this one. Boy do those silly Brits, who hunt other men, not know what they are doing. Well why have a ghillie suit, if you aren't hiding from men who will kill you if they see you, duuh
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 4:47:55 AM EDT
Hey STLRN, just in case you were referring to me with your smart-ass "arm chair commando-ism" remark . . . F%$ck you AND the brits. I have 12+ years of military service.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:38:36 AM EDT
I too am in the military, so ditto what JPPJ said. And to answer your question, a ghillie can be used for sniping, hunting, surviellence, wildlife photography, paintball, shall I continue?
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:59:51 AM EDT
Here's my scent locked ghillie. Even my dog Bart can't find me. [url]http://www.rcsunlimited.com/IMAGES/ghillie_bart.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2002 3:36:49 PM EDT by STLRN]
Are either of you scout-snipers or have a sniper billet in the Army? Or in a Sniper Platoon Commanders/leaders billet? And JDDP if you read what I am said, how does it apply to you? It was in reference to people saying their's was better, when in reality it really doesn't look all that great. Subvert, great that you are in the navy, but if your talking warfare on the open sea, than good to go. But when you are discussing and playing land warfare, than the title fits. Since human and animal eyes work different, and most animals that human hunt sense more with scent and hearing combine that with most state laws requiring the wear of so much blaze orange to prevent from being shot, I really look at someone with suspicious who claim to need a ghillie suit for hunting, especially when ghillie suits were originally and still designed for those who hunt men, not animals.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 3:48:03 PM EDT
[url]http://www.ghillie.com/thermal.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:53:22 PM EDT
STLRN, No formal sniper tng for me, just infantry and airborne. I wish I could provide more details to elaborate, but I'm still in and this board is not PC in certain Army circles (e.g. can't get to it from a DOD machine). [argue] LOL about your first line question. It reminded me of Nicholson in "A Few Good Jarheads," when he said "have you ever served in an infantry unit!? . . have you ever been in a forward area!? . . ." He then went on to say the famous "you can't handle the truth line." [^]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:12:36 PM EDT
Custom Concealment, Inc. must state that these suits may not be available to civilians.
View Quote
And why is that, I wonder?[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/tongue.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:16:04 PM EDT
Why do they need ghillie suits in England?? I thought everyone already turned in their guns! [bd]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:27:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2002 5:31:05 PM EDT by acftgrunt]
Originally posted By STLRN Since human and animal eyes work different, and most animals that human hunt sense more with scent and hearing combine that with most state laws requiring the wear of so much blaze orange to prevent from being shot, I really look at someone with suspicious who claim to need a ghillie suit for hunting, especially when ghillie suits were originally and still designed for those who hunt men, not animals.
View Quote
Apparently you never go Turkey hunting or bow hunting because I use a ghillie suit for both, and I have to admit that it works great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:30:33 PM EDT
You can hunt Turkey and waterfowl with a ghillie suit in GA. I love my way nicer than the brits ghillie suit!! [beer] Damn I just remembered, all the law abiding folk in England turned in thier guns. Ghillie man must be training against the "bad" people with guns! [bd]
Top Top