Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 2:30:01 AM EDT
This will piss off the mainland Euros!…

Next stop is to tell them to stick their Euro Constitution!

ANdy

Chancellor set for cool euro message
By Joe Murphy, Evening Standard
14 March 2005

Gordon Brown is set to deliver a cold message about the euro in this week's Budget.

The Chancellor is expected to rule out another formal assessment on joining the single currency for the foreseeable future. Brussels diplomats say they have given up hope of persuading Mr Brown to even hint at the possibility of Britain joining the currency in the medium term.

They say he is convinced Britain is thriving outside the single currency zone and stands a better prospect of keeping the economy steady by staying out.

The news will deeply dismay pro-euro campaigners such as new European Commissioner Peter Mandelson.

In the last formal assessment of Mr Brown's five tests for membership, Treasury experts concluded that joining was impossible without structural reforms including changes to stabilise the UK housing market. Since then Mr Brown has appeared more and more cool about Europe.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/17254886?source=Evening%20Standard
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:45:40 AM EDT
[#2]
A Doug Adams quote instantly came to mind reading that piece.

"The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind."

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Mandy can go shove his Euro where the sun don't shine. And I don't mean North Wales

And Vito surely as the Royal mint is here in Wales shouldn't we be entitled to a Welsh currency?

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mandy can go shove his Euro where the sun don't shine. And I don't mean North Wales

And Vito surely as the Royal mint is here in Wales shouldn't we be entitled to a Welsh currency?

Taffy

No!  The Pobol Y Cwm are a net consumer of British wealth!  Ya bunch of valley living scroungers!

ANdy
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for the evening shift…
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My vacations will continue to be expensive as all hell  
On a more important level, good for Britain.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done Brits.

Now tell the Euro union to foad.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh this is a no brainer.  A move like that would have no upside for Britain.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
whew. I almost gave up on the UK.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
halleleujah!

Tell the euro jackasses to chomp themselves. Vive le Englais! Bet thats not what they are saying though.

Dram
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey France and Germany.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Don't forget to cheer for our friends in Switzerland as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The Euro is working right now but the other countries are going to get sick of the Bundesbank deciding what their economy will be this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top