Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2002 2:41:18 PM EDT
All,

Most of you that have spent time in uniform appreciated the green jungle boot, and I bet that many of you still wear them in uniform, despite the wear-out date, as they are still "servicable."

Do any of you think the Army made a bad call, and should bring the original OD jungle boot back?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The green Jungle Boots that I wore were dyed black.  My Army Reserve Unit told us we could not wear the green any longer but the black were okay.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
they provide much less support, I did one jump in black jungles and then never wore them again for any type of field duty.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
they were great in warm weather areas...places I sure didn't want to wear my danners or herman survivors!  IMHO, except for class A inspections, jump boots SUX!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not even active any more and would love to see them come back. They were a lot more comfortable, and just [b]looked[/b] better - especially with stripped para-cord laces!
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For some reason, the green ones last a LOT longer.  
-Troy
View Quote

You think that's a coincidence? The green boots went the same way as the Army green socks. The green socks last forever (I've got a pair or two that are from the late 80s) and the black ones are lucky to get a few months of service. If something lasts in the military it will be phased out.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to buy them four pairs at a time.
For years after they had been phased out, I still wore nothing, but green jungle boots.

They were the only boots I'd wear. They were the only boots I wore.
Even in the winter, I think they're the best.
They dry quickly.

Keep your fancy sneaker-boots.  They're for pogues.

Green jungle boots are for 25 mile humps, and for weeks and weeks in the field.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
....and besides, the black ones don't look as cool laced up with OD 550 cord.[:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a pair of import copies when I was in the Boy Scouts in the '70's. They were my favorite hiking/camping boots, absolutely loved them.

Fell in the lake one day. Walked the 50 yds back to my tent, kicked off the boots went inside and grabbed new socks and my tennis shoes. Got outside to put on my shoes and...hey this boots seems dry...shoved a foot in and it was! [shock] Put the other one on and let the shoes in the tent.

Then later I went swimming with the boots on. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Just bought my first pair of black jungle boots last year, but don't wear them.  I loved the greens.  Loaned a pair to another guy for Annual Training one year, and never got them back.

I'm with you Robert, still have green woolies from the early 80's...
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
you can still buy the thin green socks at clothing sales. i love em. but one thing ive noticed about the boots. gotta make sure you get Altama boots. the bellevilles just dont measure up. PLUS there are 2 different makes of altama's ones with a thin hard sole and one with a slightly thicker rubber sole. the thin hardsoled boots are for the civilian market, places like sonnys surplus etc. while the others are milspec. sounds strange but i had it explained to me by a helpful lady at clothing sales. seems that when the contractors cant churn out the boots fast enough they make up the difference with the civilian copies. if your patient and dont mind rooting the stacks at clothing sales you can find a pair of the good ones.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#12]
When i went in 95 we got issued 3 pairs of jungles i got 2 black pair and one green pair the date stamp on them is 86 the guy said it was the only pair in the whole warehouse. everyone wanted to know how i got them. just a small foot i guess. they are alot better than the black ones the leather seams better, still have them. wellco still makes them and you can order them different soles if u want.

tnrifleman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top