Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2018 10:29:05 PM EDT
I am buying a bridge camera very soon. I have it narrowed down to these 2 choices:

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ300
or
Canon SX70 HS

They both have the small sensors, I can live with that (not a pro anyways),m both shoot 4k at 30 fps.

The main difference is the MP size. Olympus shoots at 12 MP and the Canon at 20.
Also, the Olympus is dust and splash proof.

Questions remaining:
Can I still enlarge 12 MP pics to a decent size to have prints made or does the 20 MP really make that easier?
Has anyone used either of these?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Don' know anything about those cameras, so I can't help there.

As for prints, you should be able to get a very nice 8"x10" print (or maybe even a little larger) from a 12mp camera, as long as you are not heavily cropping the image. You can probably get away with cropping an 12mp image a little bit,  to clean it up some (lets say...not more than 5-10%), and still be OK at 8x10.  But the more you crop, the worse the print quality will be. The 20mp camera would give you the ability to crop an image even more, and still get a nice 8x10 print.

I even have some very nice 20"x30" prints hanging on the wall of my house, that came from a 12mp camera. But......they were taken with a top-of-the-line (at that time), Nikon D2x ($5k), which has fantastic image quality to start with.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I really took note of what Zach3g said and cant support my need with the 2 cameras given.

I spent a long time looking and reviewing various DSLR and mirrorless cameras in the 350-1k range that support my need and found that to be the very best avenue to proceed towards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I really took note of what Zach3g said and cant support my need with the 2 cameras given.

I spent a long time looking and reviewing various DSLR and mirrorless cameras in the 350-1k range that support my need and found that to be the very best avenue to proceed towards.
View Quote
Then get a refurbished Nikon D7200 from B&H for $729.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top