Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 6:16:47 PM EDT
So what city/county/township/state has the most restrictive dog ban in the US?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I can't answer your question but I did run across this site today that might be able to shed some light.  
I know nothing about this site other than I came across it while searching for some domestic animal facts.
www.fataldogattacks.com/statistics.html
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the site
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about state bans but some insurance companies charge more if you own certain breeds.  For instance, on here that charged a lady I know for owning a mastiff.

Mastiffs are huge, but I've never met one that was more dangerous than a cupcake.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't know about state bans but some insurance companies charge more if you own certain breeds.  For instance, on here that charged a lady I know for owning a mastiff.

Mastiffs are huge, but I've never met one that was more dangerous than a cupcake.

+1 Some states banned boxers. All the boxers i have met and owned are friendly .
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My Akita is Public Enemy #1 (at least alphabetically) according to my insurance company.

I really miss him....I knew I shouldn't have taken him out on the boat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh Oh

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Banning a certain breed of dog is like banning a certain color of people.  Idiotic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Banning a certain breed of dog is like banning a certain color of people.  Idiotic.

Yeah, that's right.

We all know that a Pug is just as deadly as a German Shepherd. Those tiny little fuckers are sadistic too, they eat you up over several days, one tiny bite at a time.

It's not like certain breeds have been purposely line bred to accentuate kill bite and aggressive tendancies. All dogs are identical, and equally powerful too.

Lemme guess, you have a Pit Bull and he's a big old teddy bear?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Banning a breed is ridiculous, it's the people who make a dog bad.   Ban people not dogs.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's right.

We all know that a Pug is just as deadly as a German Shepherd. Those tiny little fuckers are sadistic too, they eat you up over several days, one tiny bite at a time.

It's not like certain breeds have been purposely line bred to accentuate kill bite and aggressive tendancies. All dogs are identical, and equally powerful too.

Stop it right now.

All I asked about breed specific bans on the books.

No bashing crap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's right.

Well if we're talking potential killing power, than I can see how you might be all for an "assault weapons" ban, yet not care about a lever action .30-30.

I have a black lab, BTW.  I think banning pretty much anything is bullshit, especially, such as in Denver, where you are depriving people freedom based on some half-assed statistical sampling.  They recently passed a ban on existing pitbulls, even if your dog had no history of violent behavior.

If I own a Tec-9, and most crimes in the ghetto are committed with Tec-9's, I still think confiscation of MY Tec-9 is a crock of shit.  See?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I think Breed bans are tantamount to the AWB. It all BS fed by media hype.

I believe in Broward County there is a ban on Pits. I LOVE pits, my wifes friend has a HUGE red male and he is as nice as could be, I even allow him around my kids
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I own a Tec-9, and most crimes in the ghetto are committed with Tec-9's, I still think confiscation of MY Tec-9 is a crock of shit.  See?

Why oh why does every dog ban thread end with the guns=assault weapons argument.

Totally unrelated, apples and oranges. It's a horrible argument.

An animal has a will, instincts and obeys its nature.

A Tec-9 is an inanimate object.

I won't argue on those grounds, because it's completely irrelevant. I'm not for the banning of dogs, but I ridicule anyone who tries to tell me that some dogs aren't inherently more dangerous and aggressive than others. That is all.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never understood how this is enforced on dogs that don't have a pedigree. What is their recourse when you say your pit looking dog is a mutt?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why oh why does every dog ban thread end with the guns=assault weapons argument.

Because it illustrates quite nicely the thought process one must engage in to want to ban random shit.

Totally unrelated, apples and oranges. It's a horrible argument.

Same rationalization.

An animal has a will, instincts and obeys its nature.

"Some pitbulls are guilty, so we will now deem ALL pitbulls guilty."  

I won't argue on those grounds, because it's completely irrelevant. I'm not for the banning of dogs, but I ridicule anyone who tries to tell me that some dogs aren't inherently more dangerous and aggressive than others. That is all.

Agree with above.  Some clarifcations:

1.  Banning anything is bullshit.
2.  Making people get rid of their dogs is depriving them of due process.  This too is bullshit.
3.  I will agree that pitbulls, for example, are inherently more dangerous.  That's no reason to ban all pitbulls, anymore than my SUV, which is arguably more dangerous to people driving Cooper Mini's.  See points 1 and 2.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
1.  Banning anything is bullshit.
2.  Making people get rid of their dogs is depriving them of due process.  This too is bullshit.
3.  I will agree that pitbulls, for example, are inherently more dangerous.  That's no reason to ban all pitbulls, anymore than my SUV, which is arguably more dangerous to people driving Cooper Mini's.  See points 1 and 2.

As I said, I'm not for banning pitbulls, or any dog.

However, they are nothing like assault weapons. Guns require human interaction to destroy. A dog can do that all by himself.

My sister's little girl received 30 some stitches because her neighbor's Pits, which were "properly" locked up, chewed through a door and attacked her in her own yard. She was 3 years old, and my sister tried to pull the dogs off of her when she heard her screaming and was unable, the dogs were too strong. Even my sister was bit, tho not as bad. Thankfully, both those things are dead, thanks to the animal control officers. Now, not all Pits are this aggressive or mean, but these dogs weren't running free....but that pesky will and instinctive drive is not something you can assure will never harm an innocent, is it?

If an assault weapon unlocked its safe, loaded itself, hopped down the street and shot a kid, I might be inclined to agree they are somewhat similar to Pitbulls. They are completely different.

Why anyone wants to own a dog that has been linebred to kill is fucking beyond me....but then some people poop on each other for fun so I guess figuring out people's motives isn't my strong suit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top