Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2002 4:29:30 PM EDT
I've been searching for legal data on black powder cannons, but haven't found the info I need yet:

I've got a barrel from a 20mm GE Minigun (surplus) that'd make a WONDERFUL black powder
cannon, and I can get the M55A3 target practice 20mm projectiles for 87.5 cents each in lots of 200.  That's big-bore cheap shooting!

But I don't know if it can be legally made into a BREECH loading cannon.  Muzzle loading, yes, but this barrel has gain twist on it (!!) and I think I'd wear myself out trying to seat the bullet through that monstrous rifling. I'd need a sledgehammer and a starting punch for the bullet's nose just to get it started!

I'd want to use premeasured bagged powder charges, and would NOT be using cartridges!  No way!  I know that'd be illegal!

So, does anyone know where to point me so I can get the legal aspects of breechloading black powder cannons?

CJ
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Read the statutory definition of what constitutes a firearm at the ATF website.

I believe it must be a muzzleloader, or unable to take fixed ammunition of any kind available in the normal channels of commerce.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The muzzleloader aspect would be hard to handle given that it's a heavily rifled barrel with gain twist and the rotating bands on the bullets are made of copper.   It could, though, be designed into a breech assembly which would preclude the use of any form of cartridge.  

More research is going to be needed.  I've got access to a fully equipped machine shop, and I might just build the cannon,  but I've got to be sure it'd be a legal project before starting.

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top