11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2004 12:56:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:05:13 PM EST by Phil_A_Steen]
on fox news now - story added:

Kobe Prosecutors File to Dismiss Case
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

EAGLE, Colo. — The prosecutors representing Kobe Byrant's (search) accuser filed a motion to dismiss the sexual assault case against the NBA star Wednesday, FOX News has confirmed.

The lawyers requested that the case be dismissed "without prejudice," a caveat that means they can retry Bryant at a later date. Attorneys for both sides were meeting behind closed doors to discuss a deal.

Earlier Wednesday, attorneys for Bryant asked the judge to dismiss the sexual assault charge against him, saying prosecutors have refused to turn over details that could suggest he is innocent.

Court rules require prosecutors and defense attorneys to exchange evidence and witness opinions before trial, a process called discovery.

In a motion made public Wednesday, defense attorneys said a forensics expert whom prosecutors had planned to call as a witness had information that "undermined the accuser's allegations and the prosecution's case, and corroborated Mr. Bryant's defense on a central issue — the cause and significance of the accuser's alleged injuries."

The filing said those opinions were not disclosed to the defense until they contacted the expert Friday, despite repeated requests to prosecutors for the information. Prosecutors have said they have turned over all information they were required to.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:57:20 PM EST
well, now time to take some $$$ from him i suppose
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:01:03 PM EST
Interesting. It sounds like the prosecutors muffed the discovery phase, and may not be sufficiently prepared to make their case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:02:31 PM EST
I always thought that No means No.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:03:24 PM EST
Bummer. Rape has become qquite fashionable again. OJ, Kobe, and Greg Haidl have demonstrated that money rally can buy anything, including a get out of jail free card.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:05:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:05:30 PM EST by Dolomite]
Apparently, for his rape trial, Tyson shouldn't have used Don King's Tax Attorney.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:06:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:08:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Bummer. Rape has become qquite fashionable again. OJ, Kobe, and Greg Haidl have demonstrated that money rally can buy anything, including a get out of jail free card.

Bummer? THERE'S NO WAY HE RAPED HER!!! This will be positively verified when the girl tries to get money out of him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:09:08 PM EST
A while back I was of the oppinion that Bryant was guilty as well.

SI did a story a couple of days ago where they said the woman had semen stains on her underwear from Kobe Bryant and another, different man, and that it along with the absence any trace of the other guy's product in Kobe's hotel or on his clothes was indicative that the woman had sex after having sex with Kobe but before having the rape kit done on her.

I think it's pretty suspicious that a girl would get raped and then go have consensual sex one day later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:10:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:
on fox news now - story added:

Court rules require prosecutors and defense attorneys to exchange evidence and witness opinions before trial, a process called discovery.

Is this accurate? I thought discovery meant that the prosecution had to show their cards to the defense, but the defense didn't have to reveal anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:10:53 PM EST
she had sex before kobe and also after kobe, what kind of rape victim goes out and bangs another guy after being raped?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:11:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By post6440:

Not when it's 'ok, I just had / will have sex with another man in a few hours, Yes I'll flirt with a married millionaire sports star, Yes I'll blow him, Yes I'll have consensual vaginal sex with him, No don't ass-rape me over a chair Nononononono'

To hell with both sides in this case, and TO HELL with the Media for feeding it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:11:30 PM EST
If the prosecution was the one who wants it dismissed then I'm guessing that they found out the girl actually screwed the other guy after Kobe supposedly raped her. How many guys cream did they find in her? I thought I had heard it was two others in addition to Kobe's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:12:02 PM EST
At this point, I don't care how the trial turns out just so long as it is over. I also want anything involving Michael Jackson or the Peterson case to be over. You can't watch FOX News on the weekend anymore without hearing about those cases.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:12:59 PM EST
The rich seem to be above justice in this country .
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:15:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Drakich:

SI did a story a couple of days ago where they said the woman had semen stains on her underwear from Kobe Bryant and another, different man, and that it along with the absence any trace of the other guy's product in Kobe's hotel or on his clothes was indicative that the woman had sex after having sex with Kobe but before having the rape kit done on her.

I think it's pretty suspicious that a girl would get raped and then go have consensual sex one day later.

It is not suspicous at all, many rape victims have consensual sex wiht a trusted, loving partner immediately after their assault. The counselors I have talked to said that it allows them to get back some of the power that was taken from them in the rape. Makes perfect sense to me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:15:12 PM EST

Originally Posted By Drakich:

The Prosecuters had submitted documents that the dna samples used in the tests were contaiminated. Even their control samples showed signs of being containinated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:16:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1911greg:
she had sex before kobe and also after kobe, what kind of rape victim goes out and bangs another guy after being raped?

I assume you believe that prostitutes can not be raped?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:18:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:20:14 PM EST

A lying f'ing slut, that's what kind. Only it took her a day or two to figure out the opportunity she might be able to wangle. Except by then she had already banged some other dudes for coke (my guess, anyway) and it just didn't turn out the way she thought it would. I thought this story stunk from the beginning though. I hope Kobe sues that bitch and presses charges for malicious prosecution. Fuck her, lying bitch.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:20:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By mist:

Bull...

If Kobe Bryant had not been a rich target this would have never come to this. You cannot prosecute where you have NO CASE.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:25:19 PM EST

What got OJ off was the defense's ability to cast doubt upon the chain of custody and testing methods of the forensic evidence.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:25:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Bull...

If Kobe Bryant had not been a rich target this would have never come to this. You cannot prosecute where you have NO CASE.

Perhaps he should think twice about inviting teenage girls into his hotel room, and having sex with them.

It's not like he's married, oh wait.......................
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:27:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:

Bull...

Perhaps he should think twice about inviting teenage girls into his hotel room, and having sex with them.

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:28:08 PM EST
It does not say the case was dismissed with or without prejudice. It says his attorneys filed a motion asking that they be dismissed. The judge would have to grant the motion.

I would also imagine his attorneys would ask that the charges be dismissed with prejudice so they could not be refiled.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:28:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By post6440:

Who says she said no?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:29:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:30:42 PM EST by California_Kid]
Question for Phil or any attorney:

Would the requested "without prejudice" dismissal also leave open the possibility that the female could later sue Kobe Bryant in civil court? Or does it have no bearing one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:29:46 PM EST

A slut. But you can rape a slut. She may not have even been particularly bother by the rape, but its still illegal.

The shrinks who work in rape counseling withll tell you that rape is about power. That victims will often feel powerless after the attack, and will resort to reasserting their sexual power by engaging in consentual sex sooner than you would expect. it's a coping mechanism. similar to how those who have been victims of sex abuse tend to reenact the event, over and over, often for their entire lives.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:32:17 PM EST

Bull...

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.

Your contention was that if he wasn't rich this wouldn't have happened.

Did he not know he was rich? famous? etc.

1) He should protect himself against such situations, because he surely knows he is the target for such things.
2) He is married, he should have enought character to follow his vows.
3) There certainly was a case. Unfortuantely "rape" is a he said-she said kind've crime. I believe she truly felt violated. I believe he truly felt it was consensual. It's 2 people's perceptions of the same event that are different.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:39:23 PM EST

Bull...

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.

1) He should protect himself against such situations, because he surely knows he is the target for such things.
3) There certainly was a case. Unfortuantely "rape" is a he said-she said kind've crime. I believe she truly felt violated. I believe he truly felt it was consensual. It's 2 people's perceptions of the same event that are different.

You seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding on how the American criminal justice system is supposed to work.

Kobe Bryant does not have to prove one damn thing.

His marriage vows don’t have one damn thing to do with a rape charge.

THE PROSECUTOR has to have a case and then PROVE IT.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:44:57 PM EST

Bull...

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.

You seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding on how the American criminal justice system is supposed to work.

You've all forgotten that he first denied he had sex with her and only when he realized that there was DNA evidence, changed his story to that of consensual sex. The man is a liar.
HFG
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:55:44 PM EST

Thanx for the comments.

If Kobe hadn't have disregarded his marriage vows, he wouldn't have gotten into this sitautaion would he?

There is evidence to support the charge. DNA, a victim's acount of rape etc. Plus Kobe, lying about not having sex, then changing his story when confronted by DNA.

There was a sufficient Probable Cause to bind Kobe over for trial, that was already ruled on in Court.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:04:30 PM EST

Thanx for the comments.

If Kobe hadn't have disregarded his marriage vows, he wouldn't have gotten into this sitautaion would he?

There is evidence to support the charge. DNA, a victim's acount of rape etc. Plus Kobe, lying about not having sex, then changing his story when confronted by DNA.

There was a sufficient Probable Cause to bind Kobe over for trial, that was already ruled on in Court.

Then WHY have the charges been dismissed? WHY won’t the prosecutor go to a jury?

The case was dismissed at the prosecutor request. THAT MEANS HE KNOWS HE CANNOT MAKE HIS CASE.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:06:56 PM EST
It was inevitable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:17:23 PM EST

Bull...

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.

I think what's sad is the people who defend Kobe Bryant, like he is some kind of model citizen. Of all the people who suffer from injustices in the legal system, some people have to pick Kobe to defend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:20:45 PM EST

Thanx for the comments.

Then WHY have the charges been dismissed? WHY won’t the prosecutor go to a jury?

The case was dismissed at the prosecutor request. THAT MEANS HE KNOWS HE CANNOT MAKE HIS CASE.

Let me try and be clearer.

YOU said that this wouldn't have happened if Kobe wasn't rich.

I pointed out that, Kobe should take steps to protect himself from such accusations. I also pointed out he disregarded his marriage vows. If he had taken those serious he also wouldn't have been in that position. He also lied, about the sex acts, when intially questioned about the incident. It probably would've heleped if he had said "consensual sex" instead of lying when intially confronted.

Bryant was arrested for sexual assualt.
Bryant was bound over for trial after a preliminary hearing, in front of a judge, established there was probable cause for the charge.
Bryant's atty's launched a myriad of motions, etc.

Bryant wouldn't have gotten into this situation, of he had behaved responsibly.
The prosecutor, and Sheriff's Office there surely knew that prosecuting a well liked, NBA superstar, would be very difficult. That surely meant a decision to file charges against him was taken very seriously.

Your contention that he wouldn't be charged if he wasn't rich, is BS.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:21:34 PM EST

Thanx for the comments.

Becuase he knows a small time civil servant prosecutor doesnt have the courtroom experiance and skills to win against the best attornies money can buy.

Kobe can hire the best attorny in the world to represent him. The state has to use the guy who the voters picked. It's an uneven match at best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:25:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:29:47 PM EST

You left out Ray Lewis.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:30:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By guardian855:

Bull...

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.

I think what's sad is the people who defend Kobe Bryant, like he is some kind of model citizen. Of all the people who suffer from injustices in the legal system, some people have to pick Kobe to defend.

He is the trained monkey who throws a ball through a circle. For a lot of people, thats hero material. You don't mess with peoples hero's.

Oh, the trained monkey reference was in no way intended ot be racist, but to equate what he does with an organ grinders monkey.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:34:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By guardian855:

Bull...

And this proves what?

Answer is NOTHING.

Oh, but he and all other sports stars are their heroes and role models and can do no wrong. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:38:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 2:39:42 PM EST by thebomber]
Didn't several people claim to be sick of hearing about this case

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:42:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By hielo:

I assume you believe that prostitutes can not be raped?

Nope, if they are a prostitute its not rape its actually robbery.

I just find it hard to believe that a girl who got raped would go out and bang another guy.

Seems like she was having alot of sex.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:43:17 PM EST

You dont really believe that he raped her do you? This kid was a golden child from day 1. No priors, no history of bad behavior, out of HS into the NBA. Do you really think somebody like that turns into a friggin rapist in a spur of the moment encounter. Gimme a break. This was a setup from the get go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:46:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:55:39 PM EST
I think shes lying.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:57:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By dave223:

You dont really believe that he raped her do you?

Yes. I also do not believe its the first time. i believe that Kobe is so popular that he believes he can have any woman he wants. If a woman says no, she doesnt really mean it. Just take it anyway and let his lawyers squash it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:01:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
Apparently, for his rape trial, Tyson shouldn't have used Don King's Tax Attorney.

Vincent Fuller wasn't just Don King's Tax attorney. He is a deviant FOS POS SOB that screws up big time when it gets too hot in the kitchen. That fucker cost us $500,000 in fines in one case he represented us in. He is a slimey weasly snake that should be stepped on.

sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:05:00 PM EST
"I let him do me, I let him, and him too. " as the alleged victim points at the defendants. "But he took it!". Slam, "Case dismissed! Get out of my courtroom you skanky whore!"

Thoughts, maybe not said out loud.....

She is a whore and a liar. She didn't cry rape until her boyfriend caught her, a common occurrance in todays world.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:07:27 PM EST
I normally side againt pro athletes when they get arrested, but I don't think kobe raped her, unless it was this kind of rape
her: "f*** me kobe. harder, harder"
him: "I'm gonna cum"
her: "stop"
him: "too late"
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:08:06 PM EST

Maybe it was another famous ball player? Going for the two'fer?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top