Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2006 9:51:08 AM EST
No details yet. It's just coming over the wire.

Hope casualties were minimal, but "huge" doesn't sound good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:51:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2006 9:52:10 AM EST by roboman]
Shit. Tagged.

From CNN's main page alert:

A large explosion near the HQ of NATO's peacekeeping mission rocks the Afghan capital, a NATO spokesman said.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:51:38 AM EST
on Fox and CNN.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:53:52 AM EST
tag for the report
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:53:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:54:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:55:38 AM EST
"rocket attack near US embassy"...."no casualties reported yet"
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:55:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:56:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By petagunner:
Tagged for an update.

You guys think it's got anything to do with the anniversary of Ok?

Hmm, didn't think about that. It's possible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:58:19 AM EST

Av.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:58:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By petagunner:
You guys think it's got anything to do with the anniversary of Ok?

The Oklahoma City bombing? I doubt many terrorists in Afghanistan were thinking about it, if they have even heard of it. Just my guess though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:59:29 AM EST
Linkage- Click me
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:00:26 AM EST

KABUL, Afghanistan — A massive explosion rocked the Afghan capital late Wednesday near the diplomatic area where the U.S. Embassy is located.

A large plume of white smoke rose into the air.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Lou Fintor could not confirm if the blast targeted the heavily guarded American diplomatic mission, where staff rushed to a bunker in the compound.

"We are trying to determine what has happened and locate the source of the explosion," Fintor told The Associated Press.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:00:53 AM EST
Shit blows up in Kabul every day.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:07:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:15:19 AM EST
I am beginning to think the Macallan is spot on and I owe him an apology.

I just typed up 4 soldier's deaths for another website where we are sending plaques of recognition.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:19:18 AM EST
It is the media afterall ---to them HUGE is an M-80, Ill wait and see how it is exagerated or downplayed over the next few hours once the initial hype wears off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:23:49 AM EST
WOW JUST WOW!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:31:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:

Yup. And it wasn't that "massive" either. I'd guess a rocket fired from the vil on the SE side.

It did interrupt my head call though.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:56:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Yup. And it wasn't that "massive" either. I'd guess a rocket fired from the vil on the SE side.

Good to hear! I was hoping it was just media hype.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:01:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:04:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Good to hear! I was hoping it was just media hype.

Much of what you hear from over here is media hype- either left wing propoganda, or more likely, simply self-centered lib-tards stroking their own egos as usaul.

Kinda like the crap I saw reported a while back about how the women's rights situation hasn't changed here since 2001. Hmm, I'll tell that to the hundreds of little Afghan school girls I see almost everyday while I'm making a run across town. No, it ain't perfect, especially down South, but it IS most defintely better than it was in 2001!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:11:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By kpel308:

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:

I would have thought that it may have helped in your, uh, "evacuation"

They're saying now that the state-run TV station got hit by a rocket, with at least one police officer wounded.

No, unfortunately, the "manuevers" were cut short as I had to make way to my office and check on things.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:39:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:44:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2006 11:58:40 AM EST by kpel308]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:55:48 AM EST
Straight from Yahoo News!

KABUL, Afghanistan - A massive explosion believed to have been caused by a rocket shook the Afghan capital late Wednesday near the U.S. Embassy compound, wounding an Afghan security contractor, officials said.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Lou Fintor said the blast did not occur on embassy property, and no Americans were injured. Staff rushed to a bunker in the compound after the 11 p.m. blast.

"All embassy personnel are safe and accounted for," Fintor told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

A U.S. counterterrorism official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because it is still early in the investigation, said the southwest side of the U.S. Embassy's compound was among the buildings struck in the rocket attack.

The official was not immediately aware of casualties or the magnitude of the attack. It also was too early to say who was responsible.

Lt. Col. Todd Vician, a Pentagon spokesman, said one rocket struck near, but not inside, the U.S. Embassy compound, and no U.S. personnel were injured.

The blast occurred inside the grounds housing the state-run television offices, a police official at the scene said. The building is next to the heavily fortified embassy and the base for NATO-led forces in the capital.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said the explosion apparently was caused by a rocket fired from southeast Kabul targeting the U.S. Embassy.

U.S. military spokesman Lt. Mike Cody said one Afghan security contractor was wounded, but he was unsure what caused the blast.

NATO-led troops in armored vehicles patrolled the area after the explosion.

"It was a very strong explosion near the ISAF (NATO's International Security Assistance Force) compound and we are trying to confirm its cause," spokesman Lt. Col. Riccardo Cristoni said.

The NATO force controls security in Kabul.

The explosion comes amid a spike in increasingly brazen attacks targeting U.S.-led coalition military forces in Afghanistan, particularly across the country's south, where remnants of the toppled Taliban government have carried out increasing numbers of bombings and attacks.

Militants occasionally fire rockets into downtown areas, and the threat of being kidnapped forces many foreigners to live in tightly guarded compounds surrounded by concrete bomb barriers and to travel in armored convoys.

In July 2005, a rocket slammed into the center of Kabul, exploding on a roadside near the U.S. Embassy and other diplomatic missions, but there were no casualties and little damage to nearby buildings.
Top Top