Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:48:13 PM EDT
I know its been rising all day but...(Maybe a dupe) just mentioned on CNN that the water will be rising be several feel in the next few hours because the water pumps are failing. Gonna be hard to swim carrying a big screen tv.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]

i would love to know who was responsible for maintaining the things.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Its filling in like a giant fish bowl, and will continue to unless the core has something up their sleeves.

If you choose to tempt fate and mother nature, you must learn to accept the consequences
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't the pumps feed water to Lake Ponchartrain which is now flowing freely back into New Orleans?

I think Joseph Heller had a pretty good handle on the issue.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
why dont they just pull the giant drain plug that is in the middle of the city?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost time to just pull out of NO and let it go.  That land was not made to be a city.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i would love to know who was responsible for maintaining the things.

probably the same guys who are breaking into jewlry stores.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Will the pumps make any difference one way or the other?  There's no way they can pump water out faster than it can flow in though the levee breaches.  Until the levees are repaired, the pumps might as well not even be there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't the pumps feed water to Lake Ponchartrain which is now flowing freely back into New Orleans?

I think Joseph Heller had a pretty good handle on the issue.

You just hit the nail on the head. Pump house #6 was keeping up with the levee break gallon for gallon, now that it had failed they expect the east side of the city to flood up to 9' of water over the next 8-12hrs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
According to their live internet news broadcasts, the pumps are underwater even before the levee breaks, so they are of no use at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Only so many pumping stations and they have no power so they are probably not able to even run all the pumps on back-up generators which isn't enough to keep up if a levee went.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it's safe to say we just had our 100 year storm.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Its filling in like a giant fish bowl, and will continue to unless the core has something up their sleeves.

If you choose to tempt fate and mother nature, you must learn to accept the consequences

Umm  that's the CORPS of Engineers there sport, not the CORE.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If they get the city pumped out in a month or two, which I doubt will happen, there won't be much left to come back to.

What's left of NOLA will be picked clean. They're going to need a landfill the size of New Orleans just to dump the trash and toxic waste. May as well build a mound over the city and start over.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
It's just starting to sink into me what's happening in that city, I'm so far away it's hard to grasp.

Is what you guys speak of true?

Start all over?
It's that bad?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Only so many pumping stations and they have no power so they are probably not able to even run all the pumps on back-up generators which isn't enough to keep up if a levee went.

The pumps never were on the grid. They have allways run on generators but that's not the point.

The problem is, the pumps, if they are working, are pumping the water right back where it came from.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It's just starting to sink into me what's happening in that city, I'm so far away it's hard to grasp.

Start all over?
It's that bad?

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]
They need to start trucking in dirt, garbage, and concrete and the empty trucks can take people out. Build a huge ass land fill. Think long term.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Start all over?
It's that bad?

Yes.

Yes, now would be a good idea to move the city to another location where they don't have to have pumps running 24/7 to keep the city from flooding.

The US goverment has over the last few years forced lots of people to move from floodplains elswhere in the Mississippi River drainage.  We should treat the city the same.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Simply amazing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I want to live:
Below sea level...
In a flood plain...
In tornado ally...
Where hurricanes go...
Where mud slides happen...
On a major fault line....
Where there is no water...
In the mountains next to the large brush piles we call national forests...

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Poseidon claims emminent domain on NO. Time for them to move.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm. Pretty difficult to move an entire historic city.

Maybe they can try more redundancy in the levees. Right now when one goes the whole section of the city will be flooded. If they had, say, 20 block regions, each with its own flood wall and pumping station, if one levee went others might retain integrity.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The WHO ???  

Noah Webster ownz joo  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not that hard.

Already happpened once, this week alone.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The pumps never were on the grid. They have allways run on generators but that's not the point.

The problem is, the pumps, if they are working, are pumping the water right back where it came from.

Several of the news reports I saw mentioned that the pumps would become inoperative as soon as their electric power failed - which implies that they operate off some sort of power grid.

If the rest of the pump stations aren't located on any higher ground than the one they have been showing on TV, it may be a moot point anyway.

Bottom Line: The pumps were installed as protection against this kind of emergency. They didn't do their job. Somebody f*cked up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Maybe they can try more redundancy in the levees. Right now when one goes the whole section of the city will be flooded. If they had, say, 20 block regions, each with its own flood wall and pumping station, if one levee went others might retain integrity.

They had a plan that was presented, building a wall 28 foot high encompassing the entire city, they ex-ed the plan, too much money and the politicians said the city has lasted 200+ years without a wall. Wonder if they're kicking themselves over that one?

One of the state senators just came on Joe Scarborough and said the flooding problem is over-hyped, it's not as bad as everyone is portraying it. He said that Corps will go into tomorrow and probably plug the holes without anymore flooding. If the pumps have failed now..then all bets are off even they do plug it, the water cannot sit for any amount of time without having a disasterous residual of problems. Just the cleaning of the city will take months after they pump it out. Anyone who lived there before will not be able to return to anything they did not own.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I want to live:
Below sea level...
In a flood plain...
In tornado ally...
Where hurricanes go...
Where mud slides happen...
On a major fault line....
Where there is no water...
In the mountains next to the large brush piles we call national forests...

You forgot: Right next to the ocean.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They had a plan that was presented, building a wall 28 foot high encompassing the entire city, they ex-ed the plan, too much money and the politicians said the city has lasted 200+ years without a wall. Wonder if they're kicking themselves over that one?

Of course not.

A  goodly percentage of people here are ALREADY advocating tax dollars to bail out the city and the pols.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The Mayor is on CNN (moron) and he said they have an apartment complex that collapsed and is under water, he fears they will be dozens of dead citizens there.

Asked if he had a grip on that part of the situation (dead people) and he snickered/low laughed and said they have alot of things that are taking precedent over that right now. Said it may be 8 weeks plus another 4weeks before NOLA is back on it's feet and tourism can continue??

What kind of idiot would make a statement like that? WTH? 12 weeks and Bourbon street will open? Uhhhhh...it's been over a year since Ivan hit here and there places that are still not inhabited or re-built. What the hell is he smoking? He has no grasp on the situation...what a moron.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Breaking: Pumps failing in New Orleans

They better go to the semi-autos then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ahhh yes..just like ISRAEL...a large wall.....ummm tell me more of this various walls blocking out sections of the community.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Damn, I sure hope so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Where are getting that info? Not questioning, just wondering. MSNBC said it was'nt true.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Ahhh yes..just like ISRAEL...a large wall.....ummm tell me more of this various walls blocking out sections of the community.....

Sweet mother of baseball... that is the most retarded comment I've read all day.  Walls to keep out a flood has nothing to do with keeping out Palestinians.  The two aren't even remotely similarity.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are getting that info? Not questioning, just wondering. MSNBC said it was'nt true.

Doesn't matter.

By mornign it will be Bush's fault

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Its toast.  Here's hoping we learned our lesson.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't matter.

By mornign it will be Bush's fault

Morning?

How about today.

service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372179,00.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet mother of baseball... that is the most retarded comment I've read all day.  Walls to keep out a flood has nothing to do with keeping out Palestinians.  The two aren't even remotely similarity.

+1. I'd rather have the water...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Under The Sea (from Disney's The Little Mermaid)

The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea

Down here all the fish is happy
As off through the waves they roll
The fish on the land ain't happy
They sad 'cause they in their bowl
But fish in the bowl is lucky
They in for a worser fate
One day when the boss get hungry
Guess who's gon' be on the plate

Under the sea
Under the sea
Nobody beat us
Fry us and eat us
In fricassee
We what the land folks loves to cook
Under the sea we off the hook
We got no troubles
Life is the bubbles
Under the sea
Under the sea
Since life is sweet here
We got the beat here
Naturally
Even the sturgeon an' the ray
They get the urge 'n' start to play
We got the spirit
You got to hear it
Under the sea

The newt play the flute
The carp play the harp
The plaice play the bass
And they soundin' sharp
The bass play the brass
The chub play the tub
The fluke is the duke of soul
(Yeah)
The ray he can play
The lings on the strings
The trout rockin' out
The blackfish she sings
The smelt and the sprat
They know where it's at
An' oh that blowfish blow

Under the sea
Under the sea
When the sardine
Begin the beguine
It's music to me
What do they got? A lot of sand
We got a hot crustacean band
Each little clam here
know how to jam here
Under the sea
Each little slug here
Cuttin' a rug here
Under the sea
Each little snail here
Know how to wail here
That's why it's hotter
Under the water
Ya we in luck here
Down in the muck here
Under the sea
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#41]
* Disaster Haiku *

.gov say "pump failures"

might be hiding something

Y2K
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Blame the French.

After all, they WERE dumb enough to build a city far, far below sea level.

I say, let it flood.  And anybody who tries to climb out better have nothing with him but the clothes
on his back.  Anyone trying to haul loot with him gets shot and his body goes back in the water.

But I'm an evil asshole who hates looters undocumented shoppers with a passion and wants them all DEAD.

CJ

Typo fixed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Blame the French.

After all, they WERE dumb enough to build a city far, far below sea level.

I say, let it flood.  And anybody who tries to climb out better have nothing with him but the clothes
on his back.  Anyone trying to haul loot with him gets shot and his body goes back in the water.

But I'm an evil asshole who hates looters with a passion and wants them all DEAD.

CJ

They didn't "build" the city below sea level.  The city sunk below sea level after hundreds of years of flood control on the lower delta os the Mississippi.  These river systems have natural levees, the French bolstered these along a bend in the river that was a good, strategic point.  Remember, this was back in the days of Napoleon, when the French had an idea of military prowess.

Now to geology.  The sediments that made this delta, like any other sediments, compact.  It takes time but it happens.  Every year, the river rises and then the river floods the area, more sediment is deposited and when the river falls, voila, new, higher land.  But the levees that were augmented prevented this depositation every year for hundreds of years.  And then some people drilled water wells, furthering subsidence.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I sure hope so.

No, WG was talking about how long it was going to take to clean up.  We'll have another storm like this in September.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I sure hope so.

No, WG was talking about how long it was going to take to clean up.  We'll have another storm like this in September.  

Exactly.  Hurricane season is just starting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I sure hope so.

Exactly.  Hurricane season is just starting.

NOAA estimates 11-14 more tropical storms to come this season, of which 6 are likely to become hurricanes of some strength. This promises to be a difficult year for those living on the seacoast.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was as told by the Governor on CNN just before i posted it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The levees back home in Wilkes-Barre are at 40 feet.

Us Wyoming Valley people may not drink like those folks in NOLA, but apparently we figured out how to keep a river out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This was as told by the Governor on CNN just before i posted it.

Pumps now Tango Uniform. Two levees gone and one failing. ArmyCoE trying to fix problem. Over 80% of NO under water and continues to rise. Not looking good. This from the AP wire.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top