Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2002 4:34:23 AM EDT
A local radio station is reporting that a Lebanese immigrant in Nevada IIRC caught some crosstalk on his cell phone, heard two people speaking in an arab language about hitting "The city of sin, gambling, corruption, amd filth" during the "celebration of freedom".  FBI has launched a full investigation.  

I am looking for a link, I believe the station I listen to gets the news off the AP wire.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I can't find ANYTHING on it.  This is a mainstream radio station in a medium market, not some goofball station or show.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard this story on WISN 1130 in Milwaukee this morning.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/06/19/attack/main512815.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:13:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I heard it this morning as well...
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
i heard this on npr radio yesterday afternoon.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]
We will be camping in the woods on the 4th..... BBQ and keeping my AR close.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the better ways to spread terror (IMHO) is to keep reporting things that will have to be checked out.  Keep hammering them with plausiable sounding threats to keep them running in circles, then when the time is right, to strike at whatever target you decide.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Oh, and I don't know about you, but my cell phone doesn't "pick up" other conversations...
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
...but my cell phone doesn't "pick up" other conversations...
View Quote

I have occasionally heard snippets of conversations (actually more like one or two words) on my old analog cell phone. I understand that it's almost impossible with the digital models.

What are the odds that:

1. This fellow is using a phone that susceptable to this kind of interference (all the mobile service providers are pushing digital phones almost exclusively nowdays),

2. This fellow just happens to speak Arabic,

3. This fellow just happens to intercept the one particular phone call made by these clowns that mentions their "intentions", and

4. This fellow just happens to intercept the entire conversation?

It does indeed sound like either a hoax or deliberate misinformation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#11]
To quote someone in another thread" The awakening has started"  This cell phone stuff has been used before..anyone remember the politician that was taped as he was driving and talking...for at least twenty minutes....different towers different frequencies......I smell a rat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Heard about it on the radio.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh, and I don't know about you, but my cell phone doesn't "pick up" other conversations...
View Quote

I have had it happen at least once within the last year, but agree that the series of coincidences seems farfetched.

Remember though that Atta and the boys made trips to Vegas.  Maybe they were scoping out more than the strip clubs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are probably using this as a diversion so they could hit Hoover Damn.
View Quote

Doubtful.

My civil engineer friend has told me that security at Hoover has been heighted ever since the attacks. Besides, if you are feinting, Vegas is too close to Hoover.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Terror by rumors.
When was the last time you have heard any kind of crosstalk on any phone?
Sounds like bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#18]
It looks like they might be able to find out if this is BS or not:
Cellular telephone calls are handled on wireless communications networks that use transmitting sites or "cells" often seen as radio towers along highways.

As calls are processed through the system, calls can be misdirected and inadvertently picked up by other users.

Cellular companies have helped law enforcement track individual user proximity to those sites and can report direction of travel as the sites hand off a call to the next location.

Many providers keep a detailed log on calls that have been handled by their systems such as the user's number, the call's date and time, and what cell sites were used.
View Quote

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/21/cellphone.plot/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Imposter...what kind of phone ya got?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
There is a lie in that CNN story....now the plot thickens---cellular theory 101--your cell phone has to tell the tower where it is at all times--otherwise how could you get a phone--tower this is cell phone 255xxxxxxx, cell phone this is tower..nothing at this time..this goes on constantly...cell phone 255xxxxxx this is tower incoming call...cell phone goes active and recieves and transmits....the tower has assigned a frequency to this call and if neccesary can move around to get better call quality...calls are not misdirected because it is a system that checks and checks and checks..
The only way to listen in was on OLD analog models with two close frequencies....
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are probably using this as a diversion so they could hit Hoover Damn.
View Quote

"Full body cavity searches - All Around!!"
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#23]
They were just talking about this clown on the radio here in Las Vegas. He won't talk to any of the local press. Only the national media. A local car dealer called in that knows the guy and said he's a complete nut case. They've had to call the cops on him before. He buys cars and then returns them complaining about all kinds of problems and threatens to sue the dealer. He'll probably end up in jail for filing a false police report or worse.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a NEW digital phone, and I still occasionally get other conversations.
View Quote

Could be when you're in a non-digital coverage area of Texas, your phone will switch to analog. But that would be only in remote, rural areas, not in or around a city the size of Vegas.

What's your provider and whereabouts in Texas do you live?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Imposter...what kind of phone ya got?
View Quote
Nokia 282.  I was talking to my wife, and all of the sudden some guy was talking.  It seems like he could hear me ("Who in the hell is this?"), but I can not remember for sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#28]
One other possibility to consider.....this guy didn't hear it on a cell phone. There are lots of police scanners out there than can pick up cell and cordless phone conversations. Of course this is very illegal and this may have been how the guy actually heard what he heard and the cell phone story may have just been to cover his own a$$!

Then again, his cell phone story could have some bearing or be total bologna, but if living in the Las Vegas area I would use caution. Don't panick, but just use some good judgement while making rounds and going about your daily life.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#29]
OFF topic....brouhaha..in relation to your sig line...have you heard alan parson's "tales of mystery and imagination"?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
[B]I heard the conversation myself![/B] Well not me personally. It was my brother's  friend's cousin's oldest son. He said he heard the conversation in his head while he was taking a hit of his new water bong. He had just gotten back from his dentist appointment and he said that he thinks he was picking up the conversation with the new fillings the dentist had just put in his teeth. You know, kinda like that episode of Gilligan's Island, when Gilligan's head became a RF receiver by way of his fillings. Man, what are the odds!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here. I have digital AT&T and I've picked up half of other converations several times in the last year. I could hear them but they could not hear me.
View Quote

Guess I lucked out then. Digital AT&T here, first on a Motorola 2397, now with a Nokia 3360 (both 'Made in the USA'), and I've never had any trouble of any kind, not counting the few instances where I couldn't place a call during rush-hour and had to try a second time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What a sight it would be to see an Arab in his
robe and turbin skiing behind a boat, right up
to the damn. The boat could be packed with enough explosives to do some damage.
View Quote

I'm not worried about that. When they attacked the USS Cole, they only had a few inches of steel to blast through. Hoover damn is as wide as a football field half way up. No rag head in a dingy will do anything other than smear himself on the concrete.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Brouhaha....find it....on the album Orson Wells reads that poem...excellent.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#37]
[url]http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/062102_nw_fbi_threat_vegas.html[/url]

The dude was making it up, or the gov is covering up an unearthed plot in order to keep the sheeple docile.

Interesting quote from the story:

Hamdan admits after his four-and-a-half-hour interview today with the FBI that he failed his lie detector test.

He blames lack of sleep and exhaustion after many media interviews in the last 48 hours.

The FBI won't say whether Hamdan passed the lie-detector or whether his cell phone records backed up his story.
View Quote

So is it legal for the fedcoats to record all cell phone conversations without warrents? How else could they have a recording of the dudes call?

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FBI won't say whether Hamdan passed the lie-detector or whether his cell phone records backed up his story.
View Quote

So is it legal for the fedcoats to record all cell phone conversations without warrents? How else could they have a recording of the dudes call?

View Quote

Cell phone records don't mean the calls are recorded.  They cell phone companies keep records of who you called, when, what tower was used, when you turned on your phone, etc.
View Quote

Aha, and if it is the company doing it, then I guess they could take full recordings with no legal problems right? Then just turn them over at the warranted request of le?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top