[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I had to search to find this thread.

2 days after the incident

I had to search.

WTF?

Why should we be as bad as the media and turn some psycho shitbag into matyr and anything other than a passing thougt. As a group we should be better than that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]

I just got briefed by my Sgt that was at the Obama command post when this went down.  Who wants some details?

John
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just got briefed by my Sgt that was at the Obama command post when this went down.  Who wants some details?

John

lets hear it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

lets hear it.

In.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Stopped in the station to pick up some paperwork for court tomorrow and spoke to one of my Sgts who was assigned to the Obama Command Post when the Santa Monica College (SMC) went down.  He said the the suspect shot and killed his father and brother, set the house on fire and exited onto the street.  A female neighbor was outside watering her lawn and the suspect shot her dead and then carjacked a female driver that was dumb enough to stop for him.  He entered the car and told her to drive to SMC, where apparently he had been a former student,  and that he wouldn't hurt her.  As they drove, the suspect began shooting at passing cars, pedestrians and buses.  This caused several nasty traffic collisions that had fire and police responding.  

About this time, the fire department arrived at the structure fire and found the woman shot on her lawn and notified PD.

When the woman and suspect arrived at SMC campus, he told her she could go, but as she drove away, he started shooting at the rear and side of the car.  At this point, Santa Monica PD has 4-5 crime scenes at once and weren't sure if they were connected.

A few minutes later, the suspect starts walking across campus shooting at students as he walks toward the library.  He then enters and SMC Police are alerted to the active shooter, switch to SMPD frequency and call for assistance.  SMC Officers enter the library, engage the suspect, and he flees out the north doors.  Outside the building, the suspect pinned down the SMC Police that were trying to exit the building to get to him and then ran toward the street access to the campus and again started shooting at passing vehicles.  A SMPD Detective Sgt who was responding from the station saw the shooting, exited his police car, and took the suspect down with one shot from a 12 gauge slug that struck the suspects hip.

Units from my department arrived about three minutes after the suspect was put down and assisted with the 6 other crime scenes. as well as cleared campus buildings and looked for additional suspects.  

It should be noted that the area around SMC is a heavy gang area with two different Santa Monica gangs, as well as Shoreline Crips and 18th Street claiming the area.  Police at first thought that one or several of the shootings were gang related. (its happened before on the campus and around the neighboring area)

Also not reported, Two teams of LASD SEB responded within 10 minutes by helicopter and landed hot at the football field and arrived just after the suspect was killed.

Still not enough info?  The suspect not only had previous mental health issues BUT WAS ON THE TERRORIST WATCH LIST!!!  My Sgt said there were 75-100 FBI agents onscene within a half hour of the shooting doing damage control.

Sorry if there are any grammar/spelling issues.  didn't spell check.

John
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt any lame stream media will report he was on the terrorist watch list.  The Boston bombing was embarassing enough for them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, John.  

The dude was on the terrorist watch list?  The system worked.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks John.

Any insights as to the psych meds?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]

I'd like to add that the police officers involved acted very courageously.  Once the suspect was identified, SMC Police and SMPD officer aggressively pursued the suspect, not allowing him to engage bystanders and kept him moving.

My Sgt repeated several times that the radio traffic was very chaotic, during and after the incident.

SMPD is a very good department with top of the line officers and equipment.  I'm pleasantly surprised that SMC Police performed so well considering they are only 16 officer and there are only 3-4 of them on shift at any time.  I went to the academy with one of their guys in '93.  Smart dude, but he lateraled to another department right after probation.

Great job by everyone involved.

John
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks John.

Any insights as to the psych meds?

No.  All this was from the preliminary investigation and crime scene(s).  

Nothing from follow up.  He's going to head down to SMPD next week when things calm down for a debrief.

We have department wide Active Shooter Training planned for next month  we are going to try and get a couple of officer from SMC and SMPD to talk about the incident.

John

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Good job and nice shot taking him down.

As for the terrorist watch list....
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#14]
So the family was from  Lebanon. While most are Muslim,  there was traditionally a Christian minority.  Anybody figure out which flavor he was? Might be another reason that this incident doesn't fit the Obama agenda.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stopped in the station to pick up some paperwork for court tomorrow and spoke to one of my Sgts who was assigned to the Obama Command Post when the Santa Monica College (SMC) went down.  He said the the suspect shot and killed his father and brother, set the house on fire and exited onto the street.  A female neighbor was outside watering her lawn and the suspect shot her dead and then carjacked a female driver that was dumb enough to stop for him.  He entered the car and told her to drive to SMC, where apparently he had been a former student,  and that he wouldn't hurt her.  As they drove, the suspect began shooting at passing cars, pedestrians and buses.  This caused several nasty traffic collisions that had fire and police responding.  

About this time, the fire department arrived at the structure fire and found the woman shot on her lawn and notified PD.

When the woman and suspect arrived at SMC campus, he told her she could go, but as she drove away, he started shooting at the rear and side of the car.  At this point, Santa Monica PD has 4-5 crime scenes at once and weren't sure if they were connected.

A few minutes later, the suspect starts walking across campus shooting at students as he walks toward the library.  He then enters and SMC Police are alerted to the active shooter, switch to SMPD frequency and call for assistance.  SMC Officers enter the library, engage the suspect, and he flees out the north doors.  Outside the building, the suspect pinned down the SMC Police that were trying to exit the building to get to him and then ran toward the street access to the campus and again started shooting at passing vehicles.  A SMPD Detective Sgt who was responding from the station saw the shooting, exited his police car, and took the suspect down with one shot from a 12 gauge slug that struck the suspects hip.

Units from my department arrived about three minutes after the suspect was put down and assisted with the 6 other crime scenes. as well as cleared campus buildings and looked for additional suspects.  

It should be noted that the area around SMC is a heavy gang area with two different Santa Monica gangs, as well as Shoreline Crips and 18th Street claiming the area.  Police at first thought that one or several of the shootings were gang related. (its happened before on the campus and around the neighboring area)

Also not reported, Two teams of LASD SEB responded within 10 minutes by helicopter and landed hot at the football field and arrived just after the suspect was killed.

Still not enough info?  The suspect not only had previous mental health issues BUT WAS ON THE TERRORIST WATCH LIST!!!  My Sgt said there were 75-100 FBI agents onscene within a half hour of the shooting doing damage control.

John

Femoral hit? He's dead, right?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

John

GD delivers...
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

Shattered his pelvis and either bled out or shocked out right there.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The suspect not only had previous mental health issues BUT WAS ON THE TERRORIST WATCH LIST!!!  My Sgt said there were 75-100 FBI agents onscene within a half hour of the shooting doing damage control.

John

File that under "News that the mainstream media will never report."

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The suspect not only had previous mental health issues BUT WAS ON THE TERRORIST WATCH LIST!!!  My Sgt said there were 75-100 FBI agents onscene within a half hour of the shooting doing damage control.

John

File that under "News that the mainstream media will never report."

Sad, but true.

Thanks for the info John.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Any idea if he would have passed a NICS check or not?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No idea.  Honestly, I haven't watch one minute of news on this.  All this info is from a guy that was there that day.  I don't have any follow up/investigation info.  Sorry.

John
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.  Honestly, I haven't watch one minute of news on this.  All this info is from a guy that was there that day.  I don't have any follow up investigation info.  Sorry.

John

He say anything on the weapons recovered? Two uppers with a cali-lower? Bullet button or no? Body armor?

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea.  Honestly, I haven't watch one minute of news on this.  All this info is from a guy that was there that day.  I don't have any follow up investigation info.  Sorry.

John

He say anything on the weapons recovered? Two uppers with a cali-lower? Bullet button or no? Body armor?

The only other thing I heard was that the magazines only took 5 rounds in them for one reason or another.  Some looked like converted Simunition magazines I mentioned that on a previous post.  Didn't mention the lower or body armor.  Sorry.

John
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I doubt any lame stream media will report he was on the terrorist watch list.  The Boston bombing was embarassing enough for them.

Do you have a link for the watch list info?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The only other thing I heard was that the magazines only took 5 rounds in them for one reason or another.  Some looked like converted Simunition magazines I mentioned that on a previous post.  Didn't mention the lower or body armor.  Sorry.

John

That would explain the media and politicos not jumping all over it. A guy went on a rampage with a black powder pistol and 5 round magazines.

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

Hmm, that's somewhat atypical. But good luck is good luck no matter how you slice it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

Sounds like a painful way to go. Too bad.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are some disturbing similarities between SH and Santa Monica. Both children lived with the mom after a divorce. Both kids were mentally ill, and provided a large arsenal or access to it. Both kids bought/or had Halloween tactical clothes, and dressed up in them for the event.. Both killed family members, and then went to a school for a massacre. There are more than just this, but I am beginning to think " crazy killer mommy syndrome " may be a new evil.

Could it be that the best way for kids to grow up in a house with a mom and a dad who love them? No... that's too obvious......

Must be an issue of easy access to guns. Yup, surely, that's it.

Meh, it's only happened a handful of times over the last hundred years through maybe 500-something million people ... some 300 million of them still here, and millions more long gone.

It's sure it's happened more than we think in the past and will continue happen again in the future. No real way to stop it. but there are ways to minimize casualties (stopping gun free zones, for one). But it's about time we be honest with ourselves about the factors that come into play rather than blaming the guns
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Terrorist watch list huh, WTF

If my WW II vet grandpa was still alive he would be yelling cuss words that GD hasn't even invented yet and I only heard that man cuss twice my entire life

Sounds like all officers involved had their shit together and did a great job
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#30]
His last name sure sounds "ethnic". Muslim terrorist?
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
IF YOU ARE ON THE TERRORIST WATCH LIST YOU CAN NOT PASS A NICS CHECK  - OR LEGALLY BUY A GUN FROM A DEALER
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

John

For the TL;DR crowd, please note the part in bold.

Also, something just doesn't sound right about the guy's name as being reported by the media, and presumably as released by the authorities.  "John Zawahri"?  Not "Jonathan", no middle name, no other first name, no indication that "John" might just be a nickname,  no family bio?  Yeah, I'm thinking the authorities are not being entirely forthcoming with information.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are some disturbing similarities between SH and Santa Monica. Both children lived with the mom after a divorce. Both kids were mentally ill, and provided a large arsenal or access to it. Both kids bought/or had Halloween tactical clothes, and dressed up in them for the event.. Both killed family members, and then went to a school for a massacre. There are more than just this, but I am beginning to think " crazy killer mommy syndrome " may be a new evil.

Could it be that the best way for kids to grow up in a house with a mom and a dad who love them? No... that's too obvious......

Must be an issue of easy access to guns. Yup, surely, that's it.

Meh, it's only happened a handful of times over the last hundred years through maybe 500-something million people ... some 300 million of them still here, and millions more long gone.

It's sure it's happened more than we think in the past and will continue happen again in the future. No real way to stop it. but there are ways to minimize casualties (stopping gun free zones, for one). But it's about time we be honest with ourselves about the factors that come into play rather than blaming the guns

OK. So how do you suggest making the anti-gun crowd starting to be honest with themselves and everyone else?   I guess everyone in this forum agrees guns are not the problem.  But unfortunately we fall in the minority that can still have independent thoughts.    

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

98% of ARFCOM'rs don't approve of background checks anyway, it's an intrusion on our liberties

Link Posted: 6/9/2013 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

98% of ARFCOM'rs don't approve of background checks anyway, it's an intrusion on our liberties

... and your point is?

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

For the TL;DR crowd, please note the part in bold.

Also, something just doesn't sound right about the guy's name as being reported by the media, and presumably as released by the authorities.  "John Zawahri"?  Not "Jonathan", no middle name, no other first name, no indication that "John" might just be a nickname,  no family bio?  Yeah, I'm thinking the authorities are not being entirely forthcoming with information.

His middle name was Samir, like his father's first name.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

John

That would explain the media and politicos not jumping all over it. A guy went on a rampage with a black powder pistol and 5 round magazines.

Page 9 prediction.

We will hear a spun version of this story something along the lines of "if he had 30rd "clips", this would have been worse" and zero mention of terror watch list.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Terrorist watch lists only work when you don't label everyone who doesn't like communism a potential terrorist.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And Obama's scandals disappear yet again.....

Aggreed
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#44]
ARFcom super-sleuths: Anybody find out if this guy had a Facebook account?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Terrorist watch lists only work when you don't label everyone who doesn't like communism a potential terrorist.

Sadly, the new most-feared terrorist is looking like it's any person caught in the act of threatening to disturb paychecks / pensions.    

I would not be surprised if, like the MA bombers, he was also receiving generous welfare benefits.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
IF YOU ARE ON THE TERRORIST WATCH LIST YOU CAN NOT PASS A NICS CHECK  - OR LEGALLY BUY A GUN FROM A DEALER

Got a cite to a federal statute or regulation for that?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. Why sacrifice freedom for a law that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
<Snip>

John

Great info
Thanks John

This is why I get all my news from GD

FBHO and FTMSM
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Just a little update on info.

The shot that put the suspect down was a 12 gauge slug but after he was down, he got lit up by additional officers.  Apparently, the suspect tried to leave the library but saw arriving officers approaching.  He re entered and that where he was killed.  After the officers "were sure he was dead" , they dragged his body outside of the building leading me to believe he was wearing a ballistic or load bearing vest that they believed may contain explosives.

At least one SMC Officer and three SMPD Officers were involved in the final shootout.

John
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top