Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 6:27:47 AM EDT
So I was poking around Break Free's website, and I come across this little tidbit:

"Official supporter of the:

IACP (International Association of Chiefs of Police)"

[>:/]

So, what do you use instead of break free?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
[V] [:(!] [argue] [heavy]  [kill]  [moon] [shock][stick]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
It's even worse. The same company owns Safariland, American Body Armor, Speedfeed, and Lightning Powder.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If this is important to us all, get off your duffs and let breakfree know you won't purchase their product and why. I just fired off my own email.

-legrue

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]
It appears they took the page down. I just tried to bring it up and it comes up blank.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what? are they stupid now?!?

Im [b]extremely[/b] disappointed in BreakFree!! I intend to write them a letter.  whats their email address?

Guess I won't be buying any more Break Free. [:(!]

BTW, here is the IACP's official position on the matter...

Limit the manufacture and sale of automatic and semi-automatic assault-type firearms.
The deadly flow of military assault-type automatic and semi-automatic weapons onto U.S. streets and into the hands of violent criminals means that all too frequently the superior firepower belongs to the criminals, not law enforcement. These weapons have no sporting and/or hunting purpose. Rather, they are used by those who desire "ultimate firepower" in order to quickly kill or seriously wound large groups of persons. Manufacture and sale of assault weapons to the general public should be prohibited. Federal legislation to this effect is needed immediately.
View Quote

[url]http://www.theiacp.org/documents/index.cfm?fuseaction=document&document_id=161[/url]
View Quote
When are these people going to quit spouting this crap about military style rifles?  Very rarely are AR15 type rifles used in crimes, the full autos used in crimes have been illegally modified or illegally obtained, and the only 2 murders with a legally owned full auto since 1937 have been by off duty cops.  God, this drivel gets old.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Welp.

No more break-free for me. Ever.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Welp.

No more break-free for me. Ever.
View Quote

You won't have to change your name will you?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Did well for twenty years without it.  Someone will step up to bat that is more user friendly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Armor Holdings, Break-free's parent company doesn't have an email to send 'complaints'.
However they do have a form for "information requests" that says "Use this area to ask a question, make a comment, or request information"...so I did. I told them I wouldn't buy any of their products, not just Break-free.

[url]http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=AH&script=1300[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Geeeeeese,
This is some bad news.
I guess its time to experiment with a new lube.
Been thinking about a 10w30/slick 50 mix.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geeeeeese,
This is some bad news.
I guess its time to experiment with a new lube.
Been thinking about a 10w30/slick 50 mix.
View Quote

Its a rifle, not an internal combustion engine.

Just go out and buy RoyCo 634 - its the other approved CLP the military uses, has been for quire a while.  It has been sold comercially as [b]Remmington Nitro CLP[/b] (make sure it says CLP).  Otherwise you can order it by the gallon/case from several suppliers.
View Quote

$212 per case of 6 1 gal containers  

https://trorderonline.thomasregister.com/Main.tpl?&CachedSearch=1&Origin=VURL&NoCache=1023217309&CatalogID=960&PHName=Keyword%20Search%20634&PHLast=-1&ItemCount=1&AZNumber=56364003&ItemViewStart=1&AlphaStart=1&SupplierID=678&ItemID=1173831&Navigation=DetailsNav.tpl&BuyerSelection=ItemDetails.tpl

It is a secure website, copy and paste URL
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#15]
between the Govt and LEO's I dont think they care if we dont buy their produts.  They are supporting their largest clients...

I have always used Break-Free CLP but one my current supply runs out I will never give money to that company again.

A stab in the back to us gun-owners...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Did a little poking around on Armor Holding's web site, and found this fellow, who is probably the person to whom your "concerns" should be directed:

Stephen E. Croskrey, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Products Division

According to his  bio, Mr. Croskrey is an ex-Army Captain.

Seems to me that writing a letter to this fellow would carry more weight than sending an e-mail (particularly since we don't have his particular email address). Also, this allows him to take your letter with him on his way down to the cubicle of which ever peon made this stupid decision — Makes it a lot easier to bitch someone out when you have the facts on paper in front of you! [;D]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Ahahahahaha!  Yet another reason to not use something that does a mediocre job of three different things.  

I've never used Breakfree CLP and never will now.

Idiots.  What are they thinking?  I suspect that they won't be supporting that group much longer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]shotar[/b], you could have made a very similar arguement about Smith & Wesson — With all those lucrative government and LEO contracts, why would they care about what a few private citizens think?

If someone threatened the profitability of one of your subsidiaries, don't you think you'd care?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Guys, let not go overboard here. They make a good product, one many of us have used for years and would like to continue to use.

Let's first try writing, faxing, pressure, blackmail, whatever, to get them to see the error in their ways. If they have any brains at all they will see things our way and change their policy.

If they refuse, then that's the time to tell them to go to hell.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, if anyone wants any Break Free products, FREE, you can check the large green plastic container in front of my garage. It houses such Break Free products as CLP in aerosol and pump, bore paste and bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]shotar[/b], there's no reason to assume that a boycott would be confined to just the members of this site. The NRA has condemned the IACP before, and possibly would welcome the chance to take another slap at them (particularly since I don't recall seeing any advertisements for CLP in any of the NRA publications). That's over 4 million people right there.

I think that as soon as word of this gets out, you'll see plenty of support. My guess is that any mention of IACP support will soon disappear from Break Free's web site. However, getting them to [b][i]actually stop supporting[/i][/b] IACP (let alone renounce their previous support) will be a bit larger challenge.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, if anyone wants any Break Free products, FREE, you can check the large green plastic container in front of my garage. It houses such Break Free products as CLP in aerosol and pump, bore paste and bore cleaner.
View Quote

No shit..check my big ass plastic container as well. All my products are history. Thanks for the info...I wish we could put these backstabbing F**ks in the cheese line!
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#26]
i dont use break free i use milsurp CLP i bought at a funshow a long time ago still got alot left in the can
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Here is another tidbit from the IACP website:

"Manufacture and sale of assault weapons to the general public should be prohibited."
"None of these recommendations are made or intended to abridge any right, prohibit, or prevent the lawful purchase of legal firearms by citizens for sporting or valid home or business defense purposes."

Fuck Break-Free all to hell.
You can try these email addresses for Break-Free:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
This irks me, because unlike giving money to a bunch of windbags, for example the Brady Bunch or Million Mommies, this LEO group is made-up of the actual cops that have said in the past that they are willing and able to confiscate firearms given the proper authority.  Politics and talk are one thing.  Giving to a bunch of cops that are chomping at the bit to start a gun-grab is something much worse.  This is also why I won't join the NRA since several times I've heard the state NRA praise the IACP (and speak-out against concealed carry because of complaints from cops).z
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
There you people go cop bashing again.

Keeping military style firearms out the hands of ungrateful civilians is crucial in making sure cops get home safely to their families at night.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Imbroglio, sometimes I wonder if you work for the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED, the state police), because sometimes, you sound just like all of the guys I know that work there.  I've heard them say the same thing about not requiring a signature to buy ammo, allowing concealed carry, repealing the limit of one pistol per month, and allowing class III.  You either wear a badge or listen closely to those that do, because most of your posts are just too close to what I've heard cops say.z
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I stopped using Break Free a while back just keep from stinking up the house. The wife would complain about the stink and claim it was making her light-headed, etc.. So I switched to G96, and the complaining has stopped, so has the stink.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#32]
[email protected]

Steve Croskrey  

To :    
OHC Nolastname  

Subject :    
Out of Office AutoReply:  

Date :    
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 04:04:25 -0400  

I am out of office.

It seems Steve has no comment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Hmm, the IACP blurb doesn't seem to be on their site anymore. The "About Us" tab now brings up a mostly blank page (or an "Access Forbidden" message, depending on which browser you have).
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It appears they took the page down. I just tried to bring it up and it comes up blank.
View Quote

Go to the home page, type 'iacp' (without quotes) in the search page...you'll get links to the iacp statements.  Screw b'free & the horse they rode in on.

Zoom, not a flame, but the big downside to sarcasm is that it's wasted on the ignorant.[:D]

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I just checked their website. I had no problem accessing it. No changes.

-legrue

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one 4oz bottle of Break-Free. The ONLY thing I use it for is to clean the gas tube in my AR. Obviously, when it's gone, I won't be buying any more. As I've stated before, I lubricate my weapons with TW25B. A suggestion/endorsement for another CLEANING product would be appreciated. I currently CLEAN with a product called InSight, it's pretty decent, I got a bunch for free, but when it's gone I'll be looking to try another CLEANING product.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Their primary customers are in fact government and Law enforcement agencies.  Supporting the IACP is simply good business sense.  
View Quote

Correct. With Royco winning most of the DOD contracts, this is just political posturing by Break-Free to win more LE contracts.

When you can get surplus Royco CLP for about $20.00 a gallon I cant imaging why anyone would buy Breek-Free CLP anyway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Imbroglio, sometimes I wonder if you work for the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED, the state police), because sometimes, you sound just like all of the guys I know that work there.  I've heard them say the same thing about not requiring a signature to buy ammo, allowing concealed carry, repealing the limit of one pistol per month, and allowing class III.  [red]You either wear a badge or listen closely to those that do, because most of your posts are just too close to what I've heard cops say.z[/red]
View Quote

He does that, sounds like the govt spokesmodel, on purpose to point out how ridiculous the govt. often is. He's really an ironic-savant sometimes.

I think you guys may be getting to worked up. The Break-Free guys sell products marketed to military and police organiztions. Who has the final say so on police purchases????? Police Chiefs. It's probably a little you scratch my ******, I'll scratch yours.

Sure IACP, we'll be a sponsor of your organization, remember buy Break-Free, we sponsor you.........

I don't think a maker of a product for use on military style weapons really wants to ban military style weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top